Big Ten could expand beyond additions of USC, UCLA, says commissioner Kevin Warren, if it adds 'additional value' to conference

Wow, this is getting wild. At this point I feel like the SEC and Big Ten will just take the rest of the ACC, PAC and Big 12, and be a college football equivalent of the AFC and NFC, then just organize clusters of teams into divisions.

Like a Great Plains division for Minnesota, Wisconsin, Iowa, Iowa State and Nebraska. A Great Lakes division with Michigan, Michigan State, Cincinnati, Ohio State. It seems farfetched, but honestly, after what's happened this year, I can see it getting to that point.

I do wonder what it will mean for the Group of 5. I could legitimately see it shifting to its own subdivision like the FCS.

What I wonder about is the future of basketball in relation. With two conferences getting so large, do the auto bids change? Does a Big 20 get its tourney champion and runner-up in March Madness if the PAC barely exists anymore? For that matter, what does it mean for smaller sports? Swimming, softball and the like having to regularly go across the country.

Good comment regarding conference auto bids in nationals. The consolidation of power conferences could mess things up for a lot of sports outside football that still have NCAA sponsored championships. I suppose there would just be more at-large bids?

Everything that broke yesterday about Oregon to the Big Ten, all of it points back to the Same McMurphy clickbait article: https://www.actionnetwork.com/ncaaf/oregon-big-ten-preliminary-expansion-discussions

You don't need to read any further than:

Oregon has initiated preliminary discussions with the Big Ten in Chicago to determine if the Ducks are compatible in the conference, sources told Action Network.

Outgoing University of Oregon President Michael Shill, Oregon AD Rob Mullens and Big Ten commissioner Kevin Warren were not involved in the discussions in Chicago, another source said.

That's clickbait.

It could be nothing more than Phil Knight meeting with a junior member of the Big Ten. These are not genuine discussions.

Everything that broke yesterday about Oregon to the Big Ten, all of it points back to the Same McMurphy clickbait article: https://www.actionnetwork.com/ncaaf/oregon-big-ten-preliminary-expansion-discussions

You don't need to read any further than:

Oregon has initiated preliminary discussions with the Big Ten in Chicago to determine if the Ducks are compatible in the conference, sources told Action Network.

Outgoing University of Oregon President Michael Shill, Oregon AD Rob Mullens and Big Ten commissioner Kevin Warren were not involved in the discussions in Chicago, another source said.

That's clickbait.

It could be nothing more than Phil Knight meeting with a junior member of the Big Ten. These are not genuine discussions.
Correct. The Big Ten doesn't want Oregon. There are many schools higher on the list.

More important, but not widely reported: https://www.sportsbusinessjournal.com/SB-Blogs/Newsletter-Media/2022/08/22.aspx

Big Ten expansion? Here’s what the contracts say

If Notre Dame joins the Big Ten within the next seven years, CBS, Fox and NBC know exactly how much extra they will have to pay in rights fees. That specific dollar figure, which is not publicly known, is spelled out in the contracts.

No other school is mentioned in these deals by name, and the contracts don’t assign a dollar figure to any other school that may join the conference, according to several sources. Notre Dame is the only school that has specific language about escalators.

If, say, the Big Ten adds two West Coast teams, the networks have agreed to have good-faith conversations with the conference about opening their deals and adjusting their rights fees. But the specific increases are not spelled out in the contract language, I’m told.

Having a specific number attached to Notre Dame provides the conference and the Fighting Irish with some certainly for the value of their rights if the Irish do decide to join the Big Ten.

More important, but not widely reported: https://www.sportsbusinessjournal.com/SB-Blogs/Newsletter-Media/2022/08/22.aspx

Big Ten expansion? Here’s what the contracts say

If Notre Dame joins the Big Ten within the next seven years, CBS, Fox and NBC know exactly how much extra they will have to pay in rights fees. That specific dollar figure, which is not publicly known, is spelled out in the contracts.

No other school is mentioned in these deals by name, and the contracts don’t assign a dollar figure to any other school that may join the conference, according to several sources. Notre Dame is the only school that has specific language about escalators.

If, say, the Big Ten adds two West Coast teams, the networks have agreed to have good-faith conversations with the conference about opening their deals and adjusting their rights fees. But the specific increases are not spelled out in the contract language, I’m told.

Having a specific number attached to Notre Dame provides the conference and the Fighting Irish with some certainly for the value of their rights if the Irish do decide to join the Big Ten.

as they say, B.S. walks but money talks. the new B1G media rights deal has a "Notre Dame" clause in the contract. that was not put in the contract by chance. it was put in there deliberately.

the B1G has put out a big, bright, shiny neon "Welcome" sign to Notre Dame.

I'm not a bettor, but right now, I would put money on Notre Dame joining the B1G. it's now a matter of timing. assuming no announcement is made before the season, I would expect an announcement at some point after the 2022 season is completed.

Top Bottom