Big Ten could expand beyond additions of USC, UCLA, says commissioner Kevin Warren, if it adds 'additional value' to conference

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per ESPN:

"I get asked every single day, what's next?" Warren said Tuesday to open Big Ten football media days. "It may include future expansion, but it will be done for the right reasons, at the right time, with our student-athletes' academic and athletic empowerment at the center of any and all decisions that we will make.

"We will not expand just to expand. It will be strategic, it will add additional value to our conference."

Warren repeatedly referenced taking a bold and innovative approach toward the many major topics in college athletics, including further realignment. He said the league "will not languish in bureaucracy."

"It is important for all of us in business to recognize that we're in a time of change," Warren said. "I think there's two types of people in the world: They look at change as it's a problem, or they look at change as an opportunity. And I'm one of those individuals that when change occurs, I get excited about it. And then it really is an opportunity for us to do a lot of things that people have thought about, but maybe have been a little bit reticent to do.

"So I'm embracing change."

Go Gophers!!

Go to 20 Big Ten schools with 10 original schools duking it out and the 10 new Big Ten schools in their own division.

The Big Ten did not seek out USC and UCLA. Those two schools approached the Big Ten.

If Notre Dame does a similar thing, XX months from now, I'm sure the Big Ten will listen. I don't think it's going to seek anyone else out for a while.

So, on ESPNU Radio this afternoon, they were discussing Warren and his comments regarding further expansion. I’m not sure who or what they were referencing, but they spoke about a report that was circulating which supposedly said that Big10 sources were looking hard at Notre Dame, Oregon, Washington, Stanford and Cal for further expansion. No surprise there. Of course they are. But they then said the same source was saying that if and when they expand beyond 20 teams to perhaps 24, that Miami and Florida State were ALREADY BEING EVALUATED for expansion. I don’t even know the source they were discussing so I’m obviously not saying this is accurate. But if the Big10 has indeed already started evaluating the potential addition of Miami and Florida State, it would be a SIGNIFICANT departure from this conference’s academic norms.

EDIT: Just read elsewhere that the source for their comments was a report from McMurphy, who referenced Warren’s comments to the ActionNetwork that a “handful” of teams are under further consideration for expansion. McMurpy then said sources told him those schools were ND, Oregon, Washington, Cal, Stanford, Miami and Florida State.

Last edited:

So, on ESPNU Radio this afternoon, they were discussing Warren and his comments regarding further expansion. I’m not sure who or what they were referencing, but they spoke about a report that was circulating which supposedly said that Big10 sources were looking hard at Notre Dame, Oregon, Washington, Stanford and Cal for further expansion. No surprise there. Of course they are. But they then said the same source was saying that if and when they expand beyond 20 teams to perhaps 24, that Miami and Florida State were ALREADY BEING EVALUATED for expansion. I don’t even know the source they were discussing so I’m obviously not saying this is accurate. But if the Big10 has indeed already started evaluating the potential addition of Miami and Florida State, it would be a SIGNIFICANT departure from this conference’s academic norms.

EDIT: Just read elsewhere that the source for their comments was a report from McMurphy, who referenced Warren’s comments to the ActionNetwork that a “handful” of teams are under further consideration for expansion. McMurpy then said sources told him those schools were ND, Oregon, Washington, Cal, Stanford, Miami and Florida State.
"Under consideration" is the most basic possible statement that could be said without technically being a lie.

If someone made a presentation about some basic facts of a list of schools that included Miami and Florida State, and that presentation was given to the athletics directors ... that counts as "under consideration".

That's how you play the game, when you're fishing with clickbait.

Washington really seems like a No brainer. I’ll be surprised if they do not join USC and UCLA in the B1G within the next few years.

"The Big Ten is casting a wide net as it considers further expansion, with six schools on the league’s radar, according to Brett McMurphy of The Action Network. Oregon, Washington, Stanford, California, Miami and Florida State are at least being looked at by the conference as possible expansion candidates."

What Warren actually said -- very little -- compared to how McMurphy spun it, to me means that likely the Big Ten has done little more than basic due diligence on a very broad range of schools, across the country.

I don't think that's really "considering" them, IMO.

"The Big Ten is casting a wide net as it considers further expansion, with six schools on the league’s radar, according to Brett McMurphy of The Action Network. Oregon, Washington, Stanford, California, Miami and Florida State are at least being looked at by the conference as possible expansion candidates."

Miami and Florida State surprise me as "potential" expansions. Looking at TV markets it would be not too bad and I'm sure there are also a BUNCH of snow bird alums from B1G schools that live down there now who would be happy to have the B1G network.

However, the academics are a bit tougher of a sell, the University Presidents would probably need to be convinced of the academic benefit.

If the Big Ten poaches enough ACC schools, would they officially dissolve the ACC and render all ACC contracts moot?

Well, considering we’re at the end of July and still no TV agreement, that tells me we’re having more coming. I think ND is waiting to be laughed out of NBCs Offices for 75 million and once they get turned down jump to us along with Oregon, Washington, and Stanford.

SEC will then take Miami, FSU, and Clemson. Then other conferences can fight to become the third wheel.

https://www.si.com/college/2022/07/01/usc-ucla-move-big-ten-how-it-happened-college-sports

High-level sources say that conversations between the league and schools intensified over the past few weeks and may have been the impetus behind an unexpected delay of the Big Ten’s new media-rights announcement, surely held up by the potential of two additions that reside in the rich Los Angeles market. During a conversation in early May, Warren said that the conference’s new TV deal would be announced around Memorial Day. In early June, a Big Ten source said the deal was being delayed until July or potentially August.

I'd much rather poach N. Carolina/Virginia than Miami/Floridia State personally

I get that they aren't bringing the football gravitas that the Fl schools bring, but elite academics + elite programs in BB warrant them worthy imo.

Virginia, North Carolina, and GT would indeed be a nice "spear" right into the heart of SEC country.
Pair it with Notre Dame, or if they won't come, then Pitt. That gives 4 in the East, then take Washington, Oregon, Stanford, and Cal in the west.

4 divisions of 6 teams:
USC, UCLA, Stanford, Cal, Oregon, Washington
Neb, Iowa, Minnesota, Wisc, NW, ILL
IU, PU, Ohio St, Michigan, Mich St, Notre Dame/Pitt
Penn St, Rutgers, Maryland, Virginia, UNC, GT

Play everyone in your division (5 games), 1 locked in yearly, rotate the other divisions with the remaining 3, for 9 conf games.

Greg Flugar says his sources in the B1G are telling him that Notre Dame could make its decision on whether to join the B1G by mid-October.

If ND says yes, then he is predicting that Washington, Oregon and Stanford also join for a 20-team super-conference.

Greg Flugar says his sources in the B1G are telling him that Notre Dame could make its decision on whether to join the B1G by mid-October.

If ND says yes, then he is predicting that Washington, Oregon and Stanford also join for a 20-team super-conference.
ND holding out hope for that 75 mil NBC deal that just won’t come!

Go to 20 Big Ten schools with 10 original schools duking it out and the 10 new Big Ten schools in their own division.
Not going to happen, as fascinating as the UCLA-Rutgers rivalry would be.

Notre Dame isn't worth $75 million by itself in football.

I'm just not sure I see how Cal gets left behind by UCLA and Stanford in this scenario

I'd much rather poach N. Carolina/Virginia than Miami/Floridia State personally

I get that they aren't bringing the football gravitas that the Fl schools bring, but elite academics + elite programs in BB warrant them worthy imo.
No way for UNC!!!!! They sold out their academics so the athletic department wouldn't get penalized for bogus classes. The administration showed their priorities and they should lose their academic accreditation.

Miami and FSU would be a slap in the face to the academic reputation of the B1G.

Couldn’t Big Ten teams make just as much money by agreeing to schedule other power 5 teams in the non-conference than just keep adding teams to the conference? Like they were going to do with the PAC12 before the poaching started or the ACC challenge in bball. At some point you think the extra money isn’t worth the 0% chance of winning the title if you are in the bottom half standings constantly (and they also do away with divisions). Have to imagine there will be some pushback.

I get the non-power 5 and FCS loses money in that scenario but that’s their problem.

Top Bottom