Big Ten’s Best Returning Defensive Backs for 2023 (5. Tyler Nubin, MN)

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Keith:

Big Ten’s Best Returning Defensive Backs for 2023​

5: Tyler Nubin – Minnesota

Standing at a lanky 6’2”, Nubin returns as the best coverage safety in the conference. The ball-hawking fifth-year senior will be looked upon as the leader of the Golden Gopher defense, and should again make an immediate impact. He finished last season with four interceptions, good for fifth in the conference and best on the team. He added 55 tackles, a forced fumble, and three pass deflections to cement his status as a true playmaker. For his efforts, Nubin was named Second-Team All-Big Ten. Some analysts and scouts have already tabbed him as a late-first to early-second-round draft prospect with another solid showing.

Go Gophers!!

I don’t think he is the Gophers best DB. Controversial take—I am aware.
All things considered, including making tackles at or near the LOS on running plays, I would rank Nubin the best DB on the Gophers.

All things considered, including making tackles at or near the LOS on running plays, I would rank Nubin the best DB on the Gophers.
Being a cover safety, Nubin does get more chances to impact the game than a cornerback like Walley. And he doesn’t disappoint.

I don’t think he is the Gophers best DB. Controversial take—I am aware.
Being a really good cover corner is a more difficult skill. So I actually agree.

Nubin is great but there is a reason corners get paid more and go higher in the draft than safeties.

I think both guys could be all conference at their position. Both will play on sundays as well. I definitely think Walley has the higher ceiling of the two at minimum.

Being a really good cover corner is a more difficult skill. So I actually agree.

Nubin is great but there is a reason corners get paid more and go higher in the draft than safeties.

Nubin will be drafted higher than Walley, if Walley is drafted. Nubin was projected as a 2nd rounder, but chose to come back. You'd think he'll be 1st, or 2nd round in the next draft. Walley is a good college corner, but does not have the height, length or speed the NFL covets in corners. He may have just enough of each to get drafted, but he won't be a first day pick like Nubin with that package of size/speed.

Top Bottom