Big Mo Walker dropping the weight thus far in off season

Am I the only one crazy enough to think he has a shot of starting ahead of Elliot if he gets down to his target weight?

Considering he has an very high basketball IQ, soft touch, can shoot outside, great passer... Not that crazy at all.

However, if Elliot grows into his body having a 7'/ 7'-1" center in the middle is a luxury.

Am I the only one crazy enough to think he has a shot of starting ahead of Elliot if he gets down to his target weight?
No I've thought that way for a while too, if he is in shape which he looks to be I think he is a more skilled player than EE and can provide more on the offensive end anyway, no matter who starts though they both should get quite a few minutes.

I see EE and Mo averaging almost exactly the same amount of minutes. Whichever one fits Pitino's system better will start. They are our only two true low post players so they will both see a lot of playing time, possibly at the same time if Mo can log some PF minutes at his new weight.

Given their propensity for personal fouls both of them will be needed in the post every game. I suspect at the end of the season they will have nearly equal minutes, particularly if Mo improves his play significantly as a result of his leaner body.

Why are we hearing stories of Buggs putting on 24 pounds and Walker losing 50 pounds and climbing, but not hearing anything about Elliot?

Put some meat on those bones, Mr. Nebraska. Put on 20 pounds like Buggs. Stop with the push ups and get under a barbell.

Why are we hearing stories of Buggs putting on 24 pounds and Walker losing 50 pounds and climbing, but not hearing anything about Elliot?

Put some meat on those bones, Mr. Nebraska. Put on 20 pounds like Buggs. Stop with the push ups and get under a barbell.

Blame Pitino for that one ;)

Seeing a video of Mo today it is as amazing as looking at Limegrover

I see EE and Mo averaging almost exactly the same amount of minutes. Whichever one fits Pitino's system better will start. They are our only two true low post players so they will both see a lot of playing time, possibly at the same time if Mo can log some PF minutes at his new weight.

They're both going to play a lot as you mention, but I think EE is the more important player because we need rebounding and physicality so badly. No offense to Mo, but he's not much of a rebounder and he's not very physical. It's all skill, with little-to-no power game. Touch-backs, up and under, finger rolls, passing, shooting the jumper are his game, not rebounding or muscling people under the basket. Hopefully he just couldn't play with power due to his weight and now we'll see more of it!

I don't think you're giving Mo enough credit. We saw him get tip-ins and offensive rebounds in general because he beasted players out of the lane. Mo can be just as physical. He has a much better body for doing that. EE just has the work rate.

Mo: Defensive rebound %: 17.6; Offensive: 16.8
EE: Defensive: 19.9; Offensive: 9.2

They're both going to play a lot as you mention, but I think EE is the more important player because we need rebounding and physicality so badly. No offense to Mo, but he's not much of a rebounder and he's not very physical. It's all skill, with little-to-no power game. Touch-backs, up and under, finger rolls, passing, shooting the jumper are his game, not rebounding or muscling people under the basket. Hopefully he just couldn't play with power due to his weight and now we'll see more of it!

I don't think you're giving Mo enough credit. We saw him get tip-ins and offensive rebounds in general because he beasted players out of the lane. Mo can be just as physical. He has a much better body for doing that. EE just has the work rate.

Thanks for the reality check 629.

Who is David Watts?

Saw Mo on campus yesterday. Wow, has he slimmed down. Almost had to do a double take. Looks like a completely different young man. Hopefully the weight loss leads to the stamina he'll need for increased minutes.

Kind of misleading. In Mo's limited minutes, he probably picked up the extra +7.6% over EE (Offensive %) from his own missed bunnies and put backs. Neither are stellar rebounders, but EE cleans the glass pretty well on defense and Mo is a solid area rebounder.

ESPN/Myron story: Walker drops 50 pounds, gains confidence

Pitino is excited about the weight loss, but he wants the weight loss to be accompanied by a better player, a stronger player.

That’s the next step, he said.

“I told him just because you lost weight does not mean you’re a great player,” Pitino said.

He is more confident, though. And that’s a good start.

Yet it’s difficult to project a level of growth for a player who averaged just 6.6 minutes per game last year.

The weight, however, will no longer be an obstacle. And he’s proven that he can avoid the temptation that has thrown off his progress in the past.

It’s not exactly a piece of cake for him, though.

“Vanilla ice cream is my favorite thing, milkshakes,” he said. “I love the milkshakes. Pizza is just pizza. I don’t really like it that much. But ice cream’s probably the main [challenge].”

http://espn.go.com/blog/collegebask...87010/walker-drops-50-pounds-gains-confidence

Go Gophers!!

Top Bottom