Bielema wants Nebraska for end-of-year rival

Who gives a crap what he wants? You can't just claim somebody as your rival.

Id like these as end season

iowa-neb
minn-wisc
osu-mich
psu-msu
ill-nw
pur-ind

My question is, will MN, Iowa and Wisconsin always play each other every year with Nebraska in the fold? I'd be really pissed if we lost Iowa or Wisconsin. They need to develop a rivalry for Nebraska, I see us playing those three every year and rotating everybody else.

My other question is, will Nebraska fans behave when they come to the big city (MSP)? Of will they act like their Iowa neighbors who seem like they've never seen a parking ramp before and have regressed to their freshman year in college.

My other question is, will Nebraska fans behave when they come to the big city (MSP)? Of will they act like their Iowa neighbors who seem like they've never seen a parking ramp before and have regressed to their freshman year in college.

My wife is from Lincoln and went to UNL. I have been down there a couple of times each year for the last 10+years, and have attended several games. This will be the most polite rivalry in all of college football.

Sure, when the games are here there will be a few people that you'll want to punch, but I don't think that they will remind us of the hoards of idiots from Iowa or Whisky while they're here.

They can be quite arrogant but are not confrontational. Most of the people down there sure do love to drink, so we'll have to see how that works into the mix.

My wife is from Lincoln and went to UNL. I have been down there a couple of times each year for the last 10+years, and have attended several games. This will be the most polite rivalry in all of college football.

Sure, when the games are here there will be a few people that you'll want to punch, but I don't think that they will remind us of the hoards of idiots from Iowa or Whisky while they're here.

They can be quite arrogant but are not confrontational. Most of the people down there sure do love to drink, so we'll have to see how that works into the mix.

As an Iowa fan, I would love to have Iowa/Neb as the last game of the year. Since the Gophers are no longer competitive, the game means little in terms of national importance for the Hawks. Meanwhile... the Big 10 should give Minnesota the game with an OOC team so that Minny could always have a home game and end the season with a victory.

And for the poster that connected Alvarez and Osborne... the Big 10 sets the schedule, not the schools. That connection would not factor into who plays who in the season finale.

Hey Iowa fan...why don't you stay home? Why you're at it, we have many Iowans living in Minnesoa for our great quality of life here. Take them home with you as well.

My question is, will MN, Iowa and Wisconsin always play each other every year with Nebraska in the fold? I'd be really pissed if we lost Iowa or Wisconsin. They need to develop a rivalry for Nebraska, I see us playing those three every year and rotating everybody else.

The one thing we CANNOT allow is for Wisconsin to fall off our schedule. As Gopher fans and as Big Ten fans, we need to be proud of having the most-played rivalry in all of college football. And, if I remember right, we also have the second longest uninterrupted rivalry behind Nebraska-Kansas (we didn't play Wisconsin in 1906 because Teddy Roosevelt canceled the game) and it looks like they will have that come to an end soon, so we'll step into the top spot in a couple of years. I'd argue that, other than OSU-Michigan, we have the most important rivalry in the Big Ten.

And I agree with others that we should absolutely switch to have Wisconsin as our end-of-season rivals from now on. That's a much more important game than Iowa.

Hey Iowa fan...why don't you stay home? Why you're at it, we have many Iowans living in Minnesoa for our great quality of life here. Take them home with you as well.

Hey... want to sell me your tix for the Iowa game right now or would you rather wait until the Gophs are 4-7 and the Hawks are 10-1 on the eve of this years' game? And to your reference to Iowans in Minnesota, if Minnesota corporations could find quality employees within the States' borders... I'm sure they wouldn't have to recruit Iowa!

Nope. Don't plan on selling my tickets. I'll let you watch the corn grow or whatever else you do down there in Iowa. Not much going on down there and that is why many Iowans live here. Nothing to do there.

Nope. Don't plan on selling my tickets. I'll let you watch the corn grow or whatever else you do down there in Iowa. Not much going on down there and that is why many Iowans live here. Nothing to do there.

No worries man. Sportsfan is a f**king idiot, and the moment he realizes last year was a big fluke and Iowa goes 6-6 or worse this year he's going to be looking for nothing to cuddle with but his blankie and a bottle of crappy whiskey.

Oh how the story would have changed last year if they didn't block those TWO last-second UNI kicks...

WI has been without a partner on rivalry weekend for too long. Big Red NE Vs Big Red WI is a natural.

Hey... want to sell me your tix for the Iowa game right now or would you rather wait until the Gophs are 4-7 and the Hawks are 10-1 on the eve of this years' game?

Why? Need a sanitary place to bang some random drunk girl/guy?

Here is how many time Nebraska has played other Big Ten teams:

51 Minnesota
31 Iowa
19 Indiana
13 Penn State
9 Illinois
6 Michigan

5 Michigan State
5 Wisconsin
4 Northwestern
2 Ohio State
1 Purdue

Minnesota is the closest thing Nebraska has to a rival in the Big Ten. And that was a very long time ago. Considering the nature of how that rivalry ended, and the fact that they share a border with Iowa and have played Iowa State 100 times, Iowa probably makes as strong a case as a potential rival.

I always thought the league should do more with UW vs. Illinois and UW vs. Northwestern. Badger fans have a hatred for all-things-Illinois that no one in the league can match.

I always thought the league should do more with UW vs. Illinois and UW vs. Northwestern. Badger fans have a hatred for all-things-Illinois that no one in the league can match.

Haha. True! Except I really don't think it is badger fans in particular. It is the entire state in general---even going beyond sports.

wisky people think we have an inferiority complex about us and wisconsin. Not true---we are just slumping in sports lately.

To see a real, genuine inferiority complex, look at wisconsin and Illinois. Yikes.

Sportsfan- no longer competitive you scored a total of 12 points on us last year. Congrats. You really think you will be 10-1 wow. The Gophers were 6-6 last year and now you think they will be 4-8?

Our large corporations do not recruit actually plenty from our border states move here because they are no options in the states they live.

No worries man. Sportsfan is a f**king idiot, and the moment he realizes last year was a big fluke and Iowa goes 6-6 or worse this year he's going to be looking for nothing to cuddle with but his blankie and a bottle of crappy whiskey.

Oh how the story would have changed last year if they didn't block those TWO last-second UNI kicks...

This is priceless... A Minny fan talking smack by referencing how another team almost beat the Hawks. I guess when you haven't scored a point for 2, count em, 2 years... you don't have much ammo to talk about the hometown boys. There isn't any knowledgable fan of Big 10 football that doesn't realize that Iowa is no "flash in the pan" program. Now say, for instance, that the Gophers would win 8-9 games this year, THAT would classify as a "fluke".
And you won't see me resorting to name-calling if I should lose an argument based on fact. You on the other hand.......

Sportsfan- no longer competitive you scored a total of 12 points on us last year. Congrats. You really think you will be 10-1 wow. The Gophers were 6-6 last year and now you think they will be 4-8?

Our large corporations do not recruit actually plenty from our border states move here because they are no options in the states they live.

One more item... based on the recent past, the Hawks will only need a safety to win this years' game. And you do realize that the Gophs' have a tougher schedule this year than last? So... if you go 6-6 this year, Brewster may actually get a contract extension. Read the previous topics in these forums. Not too many Minny fans think 6-6 is even attainable.
Have some facts to use if you want to discuss this further.

This is priceless... A Minny fan talking smack by referencing how another team almost beat the Hawks. I guess when you haven't scored a point for 2, count em, 2 years... you don't have much ammo to talk about the hometown boys. There isn't any knowledgable fan of Big 10 football that doesn't realize that Iowa is no "flash in the pan" program. Now say, for instance, that the Gophers would win 8-9 games this year, THAT would classify as a "fluke".
And you won't see me resorting to name-calling if I should lose an argument based on fact. You on the other hand.......

You can keep the back to back shutouts.

We'll just keep thinking about our 6 National Championships.

How many do you have?

One more item... based on the recent past, the Hawks will only need a safety to win this years' game. And you do realize that the Gophs' have a tougher schedule this year than last? So... if you go 6-6 this year, Brewster may actually get a contract extension. Read the previous topics in these forums. Not too many Minny fans think 6-6 is even attainable.
Have some facts to use if you want to discuss this further.

One more item...how joyless is your life that you spend time on this board?

I have never looked, but I'm sure there is a hawkeye board.

From May 25:

"Hey, Einstein... you invite us when you have a topic like this. Funny how dissing Iowa makes Gopher fans feel better about your sorry a%$ program."

Nope, we won't see you resorting to name calling. You're above that.

This is not directed at sportfan per se, but...

I've never visited a rival schools forums, are there Gopher fans acting like morons over on badger and hawkeye boards like we get on GH?

This is not directed at sportfan per se, but...

I've never visited a rival schools forums, are there Gopher fans acting like morons over on badger and hawkeye boards like we get on GH?

I have never looked, and I really don't care to.

And I wouldn't care if other team's "fans" posted here, as long as it would result in actual discussion. I can't for the life of me figure out what type of jollies these clowns get by posting here.

I mean, we all know the history between The U and those two border schools, but does anyone here think that posting on their boards would change their minds in any way, shape, or form?

Everyone here, especially the trolls reading this, know that we lead in overall series and by a vast margin in National Football Championships. I am very much looking forward to the day (soon, I hope) that this worm turns.

There was a pretty good discussion going on this topic before someone decided to start trashing fans of Wisconsin and Iowa. Why someone needed to do that is open to question. Go back and read who fired the first shot... it wasn't me!

Everyone knows the direction of the three programs. It's not really some secret.

To get back on subject, there should be a lot of thought given to what's best for the conference in determining the end of the season games. When all is said and done, I believe Iowa/Neb and Wisky/Minnesota along with Illinois/NW, Mich/OSU, PSU/MSU, and Purdue/indiana are the best setup.

There was a pretty good discussion going on this topic before someone decided to start trashing fans of Wisconsin and Iowa. Why someone needed to do that is open to question. Go back and read who fired the first shot... it wasn't me!

Everyone knows the direction of the three programs. It's not really some secret.

To get back on subject, there should be a lot of thought given to what's best for the conference in determining the end of the season games. When all is said and done, I believe Iowa/Neb and Wisky/Minnesota along with Illinois/NW, Mich/OSU, PSU/MSU, and Purdue/indiana are the best setup.

I completely agree with that end of season set-up, and that would be my preference.

Just bear in mind that this IS a Gopher's sports board, and it is well within our purview to trash, bad-mouth or flame any of our rivals.

I believe the hold up is that Nebraska is too scared to play in Camp Randal. At least that is what the Wiscy coach is saying.

Translation: WAAAAAAAHHHHHHHH

Top Bottom