Bielema presser video

Boy, if he gets any more complementary towards PJ and our Gophers, I might become a Bert fan.

Seems like the only person who likes PJ more than me is Bielema.

That PJ comment towards the end of the presser wasn’t even prompted- he just brought up the respect he has for his philosophy. Imagine that, you can have a different coaching style and still have respect for someone doing it a different way. Others could take notes…

He noted Minnesota is the only Power 5 team (or one of two) that are top 15 for rushing offense and top 15 for rushing defense.

I did not know that.

Anyone know why Bret would know Joe Rossi? Doesn't seem like their paths have crossed in terms of leagues they worked in.

That PJ comment towards the end of the presser wasn’t even prompted- he just brought up the respect he has for his philosophy. Imagine that, you can have a different coaching style and still have respect for someone doing it a different way. Others could take notes…
*Cough cough* Frost *cough*
Off topic but I just think it is hilarious how frost handles himself and refuses to try something new as a coach considering how poorly his team is doing and how poorly his tenure has gone at nebraska.

Anyone know why Bret would know Joe Rossi? Doesn't seem like their paths have crossed in terms of leagues they worked in.
I would guess Schiano or someone else in the Patriots/Rutgersverse?

Boy, if he gets any more complementary towards PJ and our Gophers, I might become a Bert fan.

Seems like the only person who likes PJ more than me is Bielema.
I'd say the hate in the past was more directed toward Tim Brewster than the whole team. Brewster was a big blow in hindsight, as far as I'm concerned.

I'd say the hate in the past was more directed toward Tim Brewster than the whole team. Brewster was a big blow in hindsight, as far as I'm concerned.
Wisconsin is also our chief rival (they at least play us in all sports save baseball, and Iowa's team is a joke) -- so I think that had something to do with it. If he was Iowa's head coach I wonder if he'd be so complimentary.

Bert did well. He even went without a break.

The card/ sign says go for two. I think he earned it...

BOGO:
potbelly-nationalsandwichdaypr-2___28111556084.jpg

f3fbd35884c7abc056d8804b429e34da.jpg

Wisconsin is also our chief rival (they at least play us in all sports save baseball, and Iowa's team is a joke) -- so I think that had something to do with it. If he was Iowa's head coach I wonder if he'd be so complimentary.
Fair enough. I don't remember most of what went on with Bielema and the Gophers back then. I'll always remember the "handshake" after one game. Bielema gave TB a little hand slap and ran off, not even looking at TB.

Lots of hate around here for somebody who dumped Wisconsin and left town with two middle fingers in the air.

Lots of hate around here for somebody who dumped Wisconsin and left town with two middle fingers in the air.
Pardon my ignorance, but what about him taking the Arkansas involved figurative (or literal) middle fingers?

Guys, do not get misled by his comments.

Butthead is still Butthead.

He is not in the same position or level that he was at Sconny. At Wisconsin he was handed a well established program and had the guidance of Alvarez to keep it churning along. He felt he was superior to Minnesota and showed it with his arrogance. And remember how messy it was when he switched to Arkansas. Some even think he may have been pushed out, of course he wanted it to look like he moving on to a “better” conference with the chance to show how good of a coach he was without Alvarez. We all know how that turned out

Now he has a major rebuilding process ahead of him and wants to butter up the competition. He also has to hold back expectations from the fans, so he is much more diplomatic.

He is not in the same position or level that he was at Sconny. At Wisconsin he was handed a well established program and had the guidance of Alvarez to keep it churning along. He felt he was superior to Minnesota and showed it with his arrogance. And remember how messy it was when he switched to Arkansas. Some even think he may have been pushed out, of course he wanted it to look like he moving on to a “better” conference with the chance to show how good of a coach he was without Alvarez. We all know how that turned out

Now he has a major rebuilding process ahead of him and wants to butter up the competition. He also has to hold back expectations from the fans, so he is much more diplomatic.
I do think you're right that he's more complimentary of us because he's at Illinois instead of Iowa or Wisconsin -- but I doubt that he was pushed out, if only for the fact that I believe Barry would have someone better than Gary Anderson lined up.

Just beat him this Sat, then let’s move on 👍

He also was young when he became HC. I like to think he is older and wiser now, learning from his ARK and NFL stints.

He was not pushed out. Believe it or not, sometimes people want a change and a new challenge. Did not work out at Arkansas, Illinois is a challenge he very well may have success. He is a good coach and while people rip the guy at every turn on this board, he has never lost to Minnesota. He has beaten the hell out of us recruiting as well, ask Frank Ragnow.

He is a good coach. I just do not like him. I don't think many here do.

I never really had a problem with him, and he was the coach all 4 years I was in school. We weren't a good program. I don't fault Wisconsin for treating us like a step child.

I think his comments were about the Frost v. Fleck beef and Bielema couldn't hold back from jumping into the fray. The comment about being different people was directed at Fleck, but the comment about being good at situational football was directed at Frost. Bielema wants it to be known that the way Minnesota is playing is how he wants his team to play.

He also wants to be relevant. He said in the presser that his recruiters are competing against ours for the same guys. He wants high schools to consider Illinois even if they have offers from Minnesota and Nebraska.. He wants Illinois to be in our tier and fast. I think him saying all this in the presser was just acknowledging that Fleck and Minnesota are a tier above him right now and his program will have to put in the work to catch up.

Notwithstanding Fleck's ego, I bet he took the presser as a compliment, not some mind-game trick.

I do think you're right that he's more complimentary of us because he's at Illinois instead of Iowa or Wisconsin -- but I doubt that he was pushed out, if only for the fact that I believe Barry would have someone better than Gary Anderson lined up.
Barry did, but Chryst took the Pitt job when got tired of waiting. Butthead had good results at Wisc, but remember that he was beginning to wear out his welcome with his conduct and actions. He also wanted to prove himself without Barry holding his hand. And he failed at Arkansas to build a program. He also burnt bridges when he left.

I am just reminding people to not get to enamored with Butthead, he is who we thought he was….

Barry did, but Chryst took the Pitt job when got tired of waiting. Butthead had good results at Wisc, but remember that he was beginning to wear out his welcome with his conduct and actions. He also wanted to prove himself without Barry holding his hand. And he failed at Arkansas to build a program. He also burnt bridges when he left.

I am just reminding people to not get to enamored with Butthead, he is who we thought he was….
Respectfully, that doesn't make a lot of sense. If Chryst told Barry he was planning on taking the Pitt job in '11 why doesn't he just push Bret out then? Why wait another year to push him out if you weren't guaranteed to be able to flip Chryst and had to settle for Gary Anderson? I give Barry enough credit that if he wanted to "mutually" part ways with Bret he'd have a better plan in place.

He also wants to be relevant. He said in the presser that his recruiters are competing against ours for the same guys. He wants high schools to consider Illinois even if they have offers from Minnesota and Nebraska.. He wants Illinois to be in our tier and fast. I think him saying all this in the presser was just acknowledging that Fleck and Minnesota are a tier above him right now and his program will have to put in the work to catch up.
With PJ and crew working Illinois hard for recruits, it wouldn't surprise me if a rivalry between coaching staffs develops sooner than later.

I know PJ would never do it, but if the Gophers are up in the fourth quarter and score a touchdown, go for 2!

Top Bottom