Better Days Ahead??

sidefx182

Reaction score
http://www.stobblog.com/2012/03/better-days-aheadimmediately.html

I'm actually not a fan of this Paul Rome guy, I don't know why my friends like him, but I think this is actually a pretty good write up worthy of sharing.

The kid is a homer, but could he be onto something? I mean, the team didn't look bad the last couple of games and it seems that Tubby might have actually let the guys run and gun (like he said they would at the start of the year) and it benefited our team.

So who knows, maybe this team is on the right path.

Thoughts? Thanks.

Good read, and I agree with mostly everything said! I still have a tough time viewing Mav in a positive light, but I do agree that he will improve. Some of his decisions were just horrible this year, and it left me with a poor taste in my mouth towards him.

Overall, the team for next year is one that I am excited for! Solid starting line up, and some solid guys to bring off the bench (aka - Tubby could do his complete line changes, and I wouldn't object as much lol). Hoping for an NIT bid tomorrow! Go Gophers!

Paul Rome needs to stop talking about Paul Rome as if he isn't Paul Rome. Paul Rome.

Good read, and I agree with mostly everything said! I still have a tough time viewing Mav in a positive light, but I do agree that he will improve. Some of his decisions were just horrible this year, and it left me with a poor taste in my mouth towards him.

Overall, the team for next year is one that I am excited for! Solid starting line up, and some solid guys to bring off the bench (aka - Tubby could do his complete line changes, and I wouldn't object as much lol). Hoping for an NIT bid tomorrow! Go Gophers!

I completely agree, but if a PG tears an ACL etc. we still go to the dance. I think Mav will be almost an average B1G by his senior year. No more excuses, we have to win. I agree about the NIT, I want to keep watching this team play. Go Gophers!

I do write for it, but don't run it. I'm sure you work with people you don't like or always agree with. I really hope he is right though. This team got me fired up (in a good way) with their play as of late. Like the broadcasters said, Andre is going to be a stud. I can't wait to see him and Trey battle it out each year.

However, if their is an injury at PG, I don't think we will be dancing. I mean, how much do we really think Mav is going to grow. Hell, the kid didn't hardly see the court as the year started coming to an end. We need Andre Hollins to stay healthy.

If Trevor comes back, I'm hoping for the following:

Andre
Austin
Joe
Rodney
Trevor

With the first guys coming off the bench being

Welch
Chip
Buggs
Walker
EE

Could next year finally be a team Tubby has been waiting for?

I do write for it, but don't run it. I'm sure you work with people you don't like or always agree with. I really hope he is right though. This team got me fired up (in a good way) with their play as of late. Like the broadcasters said, Andre is going to be a stud. I can't wait to see him and Trey battle it out each year.

However, if their is an injury at PG, I don't think we will be dancing. I mean, how much do we really think Mav is going to grow. Hell, the kid didn't hardly see the court as the year started coming to an end. We need Andre Hollins to stay healthy.

Andre
Austin
Joe
Rodney
Trevor

Welch
Chip
Buggs
Walker
EE

I do think this is the year Tubby is going to earn his bread. With the new A.D. next season is Tubby's interview for a long term extension in my eyes, and if he does well in the season the program could take steps forward. Rodney or Trevor getting drafted would give the program great publicity too, and the core is definitely young. Hopefully then we can get some fundraising together for a new practice facility/renovated Barn and we'll be cruising into a new era of Gopher Basketball!

I kinda like

Mo
Trevor
Rodney
Dre
Welch

Welch starts but Austin gets more minutes. And you can go to a bigger lineup with EE or a smaller one with JC or Chip. Nice 9 man rotation.

Or if no Trevor then I just say what the hell and go small:

EE
Rodney
Dre
Welch
Austin

Wow, that was really a tough article to get through. I read it all the way through and the best part was "I'm Paul Rome and I am out" then I knew reading that brutal writing style was over, thankfully.

I kinda like

Mo
Trevor
Rodney
Dre
Welch

Welch starts but Austin gets more minutes. And you can go to a bigger lineup with EE or a smaller one with JC or Chip. Nice 9 man rotation.

Or if no Trevor then I just say what the hell and go small:

EE
Rodney
Dre
Welch
Austin

See, I fear putting Rodney back at the 3. He progressed so much at the 4, that I think he needs to stay there. And in some cases, even play the 5 like he does against smaller teams such as Northwestern and Michigan.

If he does take the next step to "The League" he will more than likely be a 3 or a 2, but in college, I don't think he belongs anywhere near those positions.

I also agree that Rodney would do his best work at the 4 position. However, if his jumper improves, then he could also do well at the 3 position. In the end, the closer he stays to the rim, the better, so keep him at the 4 hopefully!

Andre
Austin
Joe
Rodney
Trevor

Welch
Chip
Buggs
Walker
EE

Why do you put Coleman ahead of Welch? Welch was our most consistent shooter this year. With the (hopeful) emergence of Andre Hollins, Welch should get even better.

I put Coleman ahead just for the fact that I would like to have Welch come in with that second group. He would be our best option to play the PG position on the second line. Also, it would mean that Welch would most likely be going against the other teams second string guys, and he should be able to take advantage of that.

If Tubby wasn't so prone to doing the hockey subs, I would feel more comfortable moving Welch into the starting 5. But remember, Coleman showed some flashes this season, and I really think he is going to be a stud on both ends of the floor.

spammers gotta spam

Just because I throw up a link, doesn't mean you have to read it. I really don't see the big deal about it. I've meet Nadine a couple times at the Gopher games in the press room and I've told her how big of a fan I am of her work on this site and StarTrib and told her that I drop links on here every so often and she didn't have a problem with it.

It's not like the stuff I'm linking is not related to the forum.

Again, not trying to piss anyone off at all. So I'm sorry if you are offended. But hey, I'm not dumb, I know it's a forum and I know not everyone is going to agree with everyone.

I also agree that Rodney would do his best work at the 4 position. However, if his jumper improves, then he could also do well at the 3 position. In the end, the closer he stays to the rim, the better, so keep him at the 4 hopefully!

Isn't part of it how you tailer your offense, if Rodney plays the three and only touches the ball 30 ft from the basket you completely waist his talent, he could still play the 3 but get touches of the block by executing an offense that creates those types of oppurtunities.

Just because I throw up a link, doesn't mean you have to read it. I really don't see the big deal about it. I've meet Nadine a couple times at the Gopher games in the press room and I've told her how big of a fan I am of her work on this site and StarTrib and told her that I drop links on here every so often and she didn't have a problem with it.

It's not like the stuff I'm linking is not related to the forum.

Again, not trying to piss anyone off at all. So I'm sorry if you are offended. But hey, I'm not dumb, I know it's a forum and I know not everyone is going to agree with everyone.

Now that is something everyone can agree on!!! :cool02:

From the Barn said:
spammers gotta spam

I really don't think anyone would mind if you posted links to your blog. It's not like this board is tightly moderated.

I'd read your links. I don't read STOB often.

From the Barn is a great contributor to this site and we will certainly give him more lee-way than most.

In the past, we have asked that as long as folks contribute more than just their own links we will be more lenient. Those that only post their own links, are obvious spammers or "bump" their own threads to gain more conversation on their links will be dealt with off-line much tighter.

I put Coleman ahead just for the fact that I would like to have Welch come in with that second group. He would be our best option to play the PG position on the second line. Also, it would mean that Welch would most likely be going against the other teams second string guys, and he should be able to take advantage of that.

If Tubby wasn't so prone to doing the hockey subs, I would feel more comfortable moving Welch into the starting 5. But remember, Coleman showed some flashes this season, and I really think he is going to be a stud on both ends of the floor.

Welch could play some with Andre and still be the back up point guard. Both play 30 minutes, and at least one of them is on the floor at all times.

If we got Trevor back, I'd rather see us go small and start Trevor at the 5 spot with the Goose coming off the bench, and then go Rodney at the 4 with Mo and OO coming off the bench (having three PFs keep the pressure off Mo while he comes back after not playing for year). This way, we have 5 guys at those 2 big positions so we will stay rested and not be too afraid of foul trouble, and we have some more options if we want to "go big" and can (sparingly) move Rodney to SF with Trevor at PF and the Goose at C.

Top Bottom