Best part of recent expansion rumors ....

Swede

Reaction score
Rutgers, Pitt, et al., have not been mentioned. I for one would rather watch a pasting of our rodents by Nebraska, than a win over Rutgers. And for those that will chime in about getting the NY tv market, do a little reading and you'll find the Rutgers is irrelevant to New Yorkers (and why would a fan care about television sets on the east coast anyway?). Nebraska may not be very populous, but they are rabid about their huskers, as is a good swath of SD, and some of Western IA. Bringing on a million Big 10 fans in flyover country isn't too shabby. How many Rutgers fans can their possibly be anywhere?

I wouldn't mind Pitt. Like Nebraska, they just SEEM like a Big 10 team - grind 'em up and run over 'em. (You know, big and slow. And effective.)

If they get Notre Dame, Missouri, and Pitt

The West Looks like Nebraska, Missouri, Iowa, Minnesota, Wisonsin, Northwestern, Illinois.

The East, Notre Dame, Indiana, Purdue, Ohio State, Michigan, Penn State, Pitt.

I think the Conference should dictate the 6 conference games and a seeded 2 games against the opposite group. For a total of 8 conference games and you can schedule 4 non conference games.

I for one think the Big Whatever Conference Championship game should be played in Chicago at Soldiers Field.

The winner should have an automatic bid into The Elite Eight NCAA Championship. Other automatic bids go to the Pacific Coast Conference, The SEC, ACC and The Big East,.

An automatic big to a undefeated team not in a mega conference.

At large to two teams to be determined by a combination of record and strength of schedule.

The all games will be played in standard sites. Teams will be seeded. The sights will be rotated for the first round. Needing 7 total sites. The sites should be fixed. They should be great destinations. Say Pasadena, Phoenix/Tucson, Dallas, New Orleans, Miami, Orlando, and Atlanta.
The games would begin the second week in December. And progress with a two week break between the semi's and Championship. The booster in those cities only need to move their festivity to meet the NCAA Football December Madness.

Rutgers, Pitt, et al., have not been mentioned. I for one would rather watch a pasting of our rodents by Nebraska, than a win over Rutgers. And for those that will chime in about getting the NY tv market, do a little reading and you'll find the Rutgers is irrelevant to New Yorkers (and why would a fan care about television sets on the east coast anyway?). Nebraska may not be very populous, but they are rabid about their huskers, as is a good swath of SD, and some of Western IA. Bringing on a million Big 10 fans in flyover country isn't too shabby. How many Rutgers fans can their possibly be anywhere?

This is just a ridiculous statement. You would rather watch Minnesota get "pasted" by Nebraska than watch a win over Rutgers? A WIN is always better than a loss and a "pasting" does nothing for a program. I can't believe anyone who considers themselves a fan of a team would want to see them "pasted" over any other outcome against any other team. Just brutal.

I would rather get our butts kicked by Texas than beat a directional Louisiana team any day

This is just a ridiculous statement. You would rather watch Minnesota get "pasted" by Nebraska than watch a win over Rutgers? A WIN is always better than a loss and a "pasting" does nothing for a program. I can't believe anyone who considers themselves a fan of a team would want to see them "pasted" over any other outcome against any other team. Just brutal.

Than all fans of this team should be rooting for the NSIC to extend a bid to the Gophers. After all, a win over Buena Vista is better than a win over Nebraska, no? My opinion does not equal your opinion does not equal ridiculous.

Husker, I think you're missing a team in your East/West projections.

Rutgers does nothing for me as well, but I don't want to get pasted by anyone.

If the Big Ten truly wants the NY market there is only 1 team that can deliver it....Notre Dame.

I also say that Maryland makes a better addition than either Missouri, Pitt, or Rutgers. The Baltimore-D.C. area would make a fine addition to the Big Ten Network and also a nice basketball tradition.

Nebraska is a small state, yes. However, one point to mention is that almost every city in the country has a massive Nebraska following. Hell, there's even a Alaskans for Nebraska chapter: http://home.gci.net/~tramp/AK4NE.htm

Anybody with a connection to the state usually ends up following the team, which makes it unique to other Big Ten candidates.

I am willing to bet that more people in New York will request the Big Ten Network to watch Nebraska than would to watch Rutgers.

The West Looks like Nebraska, Missouri, Iowa, Minnesota, Wisonsin, Northwestern, Illinois.

The East, Notre Dame, Indiana, Purdue, Ohio State, Michigan, Penn State, Pitt.

I think the Conference should dictate the 6 conference games and a seeded 2 games against the opposite group. For a total of 8 conference games and you can schedule 4 non conference games.

Michigan state getting the boot? ;)

I guess that's one of the differences between a football guy (as I'm assuming you are) and bball guy like myself, Sparty is one of the first teams in my mind when listing the Big 10.

If the Big Ten truly wants the NY market there is only 1 team that can deliver it....Notre Dame.

I got an idea... why doesn't the Big 10 use all its money to just invent a university... The University of New York City Cable Subscribers? Then we can add them to the Big Ten and... presto more people watching the Indiana rugby team on the BTN! Then world peace can finally happen.

Nebraska is a small state, yes. However, one point to mention is that almost every city in the country has a massive Nebraska following. Hell, there's even a Alaskans for Nebraska chapter: http://home.gci.net/~tramp/AK4NE.htm

Anybody with a connection to the state usually ends up following the team, which makes it unique to other Big Ten candidates.

I am willing to bet that more people in New York will request the Big Ten Network to watch Nebraska than would to watch Rutgers.

I agree with NateDawg...I lived in Lincoln for several years and travelled throughout NE, IA and SD and their fans are crazy in love with the team...they treat those kids like frickin celebrities and the team like a state treasure. Doesn't matter if you move away...the red goes deep.

I love NE to the Big Ten!!!!

"Pasted" by the Nebraska? What is it 1986 again? I ain't scared of the Huskers, bring it. btw, Nate's right Nebraska has a huge following. Even in Costa Rica there's a group of about 10 idiots who are huge Husker fans and make a big scene in the sports bars every Saturday. They call themselves (I'm not making this up) "The Omaha Mafia". My point is the Husker fans are everywhere and since they have no pro sports teams, they are fanatical about their Huskers. GREAT addition to the Big-10 imo.

The choice isn't between getting pasted by a good team, or pasting a lesser team, we don't, after all, know the outcome in advance. It's a matter of what teams you would schedule, or for us fans, which games you would be the most interested in going to. On that level, fans have voted pretty clearly, we can schedule a game against a weak, little-known opponent, and attendance will be lower than against a well regarded team.

"Pasted" by the Nebraska? What is it 1986 again? I ain't scared of the Huskers, bring it. btw, Nate's right Nebraska has a huge following. Even in Costa Rica there's a group of about 10 idiots who are huge Husker fans and make a big scene in the sports bars every Saturday. They call themselves (I'm not making this up) "The Omaha Mafia". My point is the Husker fans are everywhere and since they have no pro sports teams, they are fanatical about their Huskers. GREAT addition to the Big-10 imo.

"Ohama Mafia". That looked funny, so I tried to say it, and it sounded even funnier. But shouldn't it be the Lincoln mafia? And a bunch of people getting together and calling themselves a mafia is just lame. But you're right, they have a big national following, and this will be a boon to the BTN, and thus to all Big Ten schools.

But if they are from Omaha, shouldn't they be rooting for Nebraska-Omaha? :D

Who do you think recruits would rather play against, Nebraska or South Dakota St? Big time players want to play in big time games against big time schools.

Avoiding top teams because you might lose is a limp-dick way to play football.

The way the Gophers have been playing football lately, is there really any reason to believe Rutgers is a "lesser" team? Just sayin'.

I welcome Nebraska to the Big 10. It's at least another two wins in basketball every year! :clap:

Top Bottom