Besides the Minnesota Rouser, what is your favorite B1G fight song?

If The Victors and Across the Field are more recognized tunes, I wonder if listeners are as likely to associate them with their schools as they'd be with On Wisconsin.

I would say 'The Victors' is easily the most recognized fight song in the Big Ten and along with the Notre Dame's 'Victory March', the two tunes most associated with their school in the country.

No disrespect to 'On Wisconsin', but it would finish a decent distance behind those two with the distinct possibility of several songs in between (possibly USC March On, Tennesse Rocky Top, Oklahoma Boomer Sooner, The Eyes of Texas, and others). Of course, all personal opinion, I understand.

To me, easily recognizable does not equate to a good song. Hail! and OSU's are recognizable because they've been good for so long and on TV ALL the time. Same with Notre Dame.. can anyone hear it and not think of Rudy? As others have posted, it's much more a part of their school's brands than ours, and it gets mic'd in a lot more than other schools, played on ads/movies/etc, and so is just part of our collective consciousness, even if you're not a football fan. Doesn't make them GOOD.

I think most of the Big Ten fight songs are all pretty catchy, unique but clearly Big Ten. Ones I don't favor.. Illinois (too slow and not enough energy), Indiana, and Penn St (the least Big Ten-ish song, for obvious reasons I think). I don't really care for Hail to the Victors because it is SO simple and therefore not as good. The dogfight sections of it are much better, IMO. For favorites, I'd have to say MSU, Purdue (great harmonies), and Iowa (On Iowa, NOT the fight song). To be fair, though I really do like the Rouser the best.. combo of the lyrics being unique and supportive in nature, great melody, and the spellout at the end (only ONCE, Iowa and OSU..) gives me chills - even a half full crowd sounds loud. I like the stadium version of On Wisconsin better than the traditional arrangement but would not put it up there with the greats int he land by any stretch.

Funny, no one mentioned Nebraska's. Heh.

SIN-BADS tune with the real lyrics:

Haa wisconSIN
Haa wisconSIN
Face it we just SUCK!

I love all of our school songs but if I were to designate an official school song I would make it "Our Minnesota" It is up there with the best in the Big Ten. Purdue has the worst fight song in the Big Ten.

Go Gophers !!!!!!

I love all of our school songs but if I were to designate an official school song I would make it "Our Minnesota" It is up there with the best in the Big Ten. Purdue has the worst fight song in the Big Ten.

Minnesota has a number of decent school songs, and I change my mind as to which one is best. Our Minnesota is very good, and at times the Minnesota March is very powerful. Go Gopher Victory and Minnesota Fight are all good.

At least Iowa, Indiana, PSU, Nebraska and OSU have more than one good option to play, but the rest are fairly thin when it comes to going beyond the main song.

I personally like Indiana, Our Indiana and Go You Northwestern. On Wisconsin in the current arrangement played by the UW Band is a powerful song, but they play so little during games, that on TV you almost never hear it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bnfyPJYwLy4

To sing? Blow U Northwestern

To listen to? Hard to beat On Wisconsin

Top Bottom