Besides the Minnesota Rouser, what is your favorite B1G fight song?

supadupafly

Reaction score
One rule though. It has to be original to that school. i.e. B1G schools who lacked any originality and could not come up with their own fight song (i.e. Wisconsin using what was originally known as "Minnesota, Minnesota" and changing the lyrics to "On Wisconsin, On Wisconsin") are therefore disqualified. :p

Mine: "On the banks of the Red Cedar". Michigan State. Starts at 2:05. The intro to it is kind of catchy.

P.S. "Minnesota March" would be my 1(b). LOVE "Minnesota March".

supadupafly said:
One rule though. It has to be original to that school. i.e. B1G schools who lacked any originality and could not come up with their own fight song (i.e. Wisconsin using "Minnesota, Minnesota" and changing the lyrics to "On Wisconsin, On Wisconsin") are therefore disqualified. :p

Mine: "On the banks of the Red Cedar". Michigan State. Starts at 2:05. The intro to it is kind of catchy.

P.S. "Minnesota March" would be my 1(b). LOVE "Minnesota March".

Video Link: http://youtu.be/c_50RCMG9Es

My high school used Michigan's fight song, so that's my vote.

From the Land of Sky Blue Waters,
From the land of pines' lofty balsams,
Comes the beer refreshing,
Hamm's the beer refreshing.

SKI-U-MAH...RAH...GO GOPERS!!!

Michigan's "The Victors" for sure. Definitely one of the most famous.

I've always liked Michigan State's Fight Song

There are some really good Big Ten fight songs.

Michigan "Victors" is iconic. Ohio State "Across The Field" is good. Northwestern is well-known and catchy. The Iowa Fight Song was written by Meredith Wilson; and they have "In Heaven There Is No Beer" in the playlist. And, I like Indiana's song at Assembly Hall for basketball. They get full participation and yell "I-U" at the end. It is cool.

Thanks for the history of On Wisconsin. Easily the most recognized Big10 song. Good to know of its Minnesota origin. Since the Minnesota Rouser and On Wisconsin are excluded, I'd pick Michigan's Hail to the Victors as my favorite.

Originally being from Ohio, "Across the Field" still makes me feel warm inside, and I never really liked the Buckeyes. It has to be the full version with the drum solo intro, however.

"Carmen Ohio" is quite good too.

Thanks for the history of On Wisconsin. Easily the most recognized Big10 song. Good to know of its Minnesota origin. Since the Minnesota Rouser and On Wisconsin are excluded, I'd pick Michigan's Hail to the Victors as my favorite.

I wouldn't say that On Wisconsin is easily the most recognized B1G song. If yo were to play clips of all B1G school songs (across the country)..........The Victors and Across the Field would be the 2 most recognized and it wouldn't be close. I refuse to believe otherwise.

"Go U Northwestern"

But not next Saturday.

Go Gophers!!

Whatever fight song is played after UW allows another TD.

Go Gophers!!

Gopherprof-
You actually linked to "Buckeye Battle Cry" Which is what is played after Ohio State TD's, That IS NOT Across The Field. This is Across The Field.

any bt fight song i liked before, i now hate because of this version. good gosh.

I was in the Marching Band during the Mason years. Every year during our preseason camp, he would visit the band. And every year he would tell the same story, but it was a good one, and he knew his audience. When his daughter was young, she started taking piano lessons. One day, he was horrified to come home to hear her playing Hail to the Victors. No child of an Ohio man will play that song, thought he. When asked, she said her teacher gave it to her because it's an easy song for beginners to learn.

I'd have to say that the top 3 fight songs in the Big Ten (in no particular order) are The Victors (Michigan), Across the Field (Ohio State), and, sorry, but On Wisconsin. Also, I will always love this university and all, but I personally am really not a fan of our fight song. Possibly the worst in the conference, in my opinion.

On Wisconsin was featured in a Beach Boys tune......about the 1:03 mark.

Mine is "On Wisconsin" only because our college school song at Concordia St. Paul was "On Concordia."

Well, the original poster didn't quite have the history right ("known as Minnesota, Minnesota" is a pretty good stretch), but the history is interesting. Per Wiki, that font of all knowledge:

The tune was composed in 1909 by William T. Purdy, with the intention of entering it into a competition for a new fight song at the University of Minnesota.

Carl Beck, a former University of Wisconsin–Madison student, convinced him to withdraw it from the contest at the last minute and allow his alma mater to use it instead. Beck then wrote the original, football-oriented lyrics, changing the words "Minnesota, Minnesota" to "On, Wisconsin! On, Wisconsin!"[1] (The eventual winner of the competition became known as the Minnesota Rouser).

The lyrics were rewritten for the state song in 1913 by Judge Charles D. Rosa and J. S. Hubbard. The song was widely recognized as the state song at that time, but was never officially designated. Finally in 1959, "On, Wisconsin!" was codified in Chapter 170, Laws of 1959, and is incorporated in Section 1.10 of the statutes.

"On, Wisconsin!" was regarded by John Philip Sousa as "the finest of college marching songs".[2][3] It has become one of the most popular fight songs in the country, with some 2,500 schools using some variation of it as their school song.[4] Although there are persistent rumors that the rights to the song are owned by Paul McCartney or Michael Jackson, which has even been reported by the Christian Science Monitor,[5] this applies solely to the international rights; the song is actually in the public domain in the United States.

"On, Wisconsin!" was the cry that Arthur MacArthur, Jr. used in the Battle of Chattanooga at Missionary Ridge during the American Civil War. He seized the regimental colors, and rallied his regiment with "On, Wisconsin!", for which he was awarded the Medal of Honor.

Originally being from Ohio, "Across the Field" still makes me feel warm inside, and I never really liked the Buckeyes. It has to be the full version with the drum solo intro, however.

"Carmen Ohio" is quite good too.

This is actually "The Buckeye Battle Cry" not "Across the Field" Great fight song!

I wouldn't say that On Wisconsin is easily the most recognized B1G song. If yo were to play clips of all B1G school songs (across the country)..........The Victors and Across the Field would be the 2 most recognized and it wouldn't be close. I refuse to believe otherwise.

Buck, you might be right. If The Victors and Across the Field are more recognized tunes, I wonder if listeners are as likely to associate them with their schools as they'd be with On Wisconsin. Perhaps we can get a federal grant to study this. :)

Top Bottom