Besides the game, what will you miss the most about Gophers athletics this fall?

Jared.Hines

Reaction score
We want to hear from Gophers fans about what they will miss most about not having any college athletics this fall.

Comment on this thread as specifically as you want. Share your stories with us. We want to hear it all!

-GopherHole Staff-

We tailgate with friends that live out of town. Probably won’t get to see them this Fall.

The whole game day experience! The pageantry of college football is unmatched, and the whole experience is just intoxicating for true fans. Arriving several hours before game time to tailgate, have some beverages, and walk around interacting with other fans. Watching the teams arrive at the stadium. Watching pregame marching band performances both outside and inside the stadium. Keeping an eye on other games happening at that time. Flags, chants, the buzz, the anticipation. I'll just miss it so much!

The whole game day experience! The pageantry of college football is unmatched, and the whole experience is just intoxicating for true fans. Arriving several hours before game time to tailgate, have some beverages, and walk around interacting with other fans. Watching the teams arrive at the stadium. Watching pregame marching band performances both outside and inside the stadium. Keeping an eye on other games happening at that time. Flags, chants, the buzz, the anticipation. I'll just miss it so much!
By far the people i go with. Tailgate, dinner, traveling to away games. Some of these are three day golf outings or fishing trips.

It’s the tailgates for me as well. We start in August when it’s so hot and end in November when it can be so cold, but it‘s a blast every time.

Getting to Surly or Blarney hours before kickoff, to eat and drink with friends.

Going to Surly or Blarney after the game, to eat and drink with friends.

The buildup during the week, reading GH and other sites.

The pageantry and splendor of college football.

Tailgating with my brothers and my kids, the anticipation of each game week, the trash talking other B1G fans, and as it currently sits, I miss being ranked since they just carved the B1G out of the polls.

Tailgating, our gameday friends (we and the people who sit behind us have sat in the same spot since the stadium opened and we've gotten to know them). High fiving and hugging random strangers after a huge play (I almost got tackled by the gal next to me after the interception at the end of the PSU game). Going to a road game (hadn't decided which one this year - likely MSU). So many things others have mentioned. I could list stuff I won't miss, but you rarely think about that stuff after the fact.

Heating Coyle debates.

The Billds tradition of a quick smack after every score...PATs too...

Many things, but for one will miss each week checking bowl game prognostications.

Pre game breakfast at Mannings. Tailgate lot. BS ing with the older guys behind our season seats. Watching the student section, the band, the school song at the end of the game & more.

I wouldn't even say tailgating for me...it's seeing my tailgate family. Football brings many of us together that get caught up in our busy lives during the rest of the year. I'll miss them dearly...the setting up and eating breakfast burritos at 7am before anyone else arrives, watching a close game in the parking lot after everyone else has cleared out post-game as the sun is setting. Those memories and relationships are so precious to me.

I'll have a sophomore daughter and a freshman son at the U this year. My daughter had a blast attending games last year and was looking forward to it again this year. My son has watched the Gophers with me for years and has been the one who accompanies me to the few home games I attend each year, and he was so excited to finally be part of the student section (side note: he was auditioning for the marching band before several factors arose and he dropped out :(...that would have been incredible).
Anyway, I was really looking forward to watching those two experience Gopher football as students, and hang with them in the tailgate lot before and after games. I was also hoping that this would be the year that really kicks off a lifetime of Gopher football talk, away game road trips, family pictures with all M/G, for the three of us...*sigh. I guess it'll have to wait 'til next year.
One of the highlights of tailgating last year was when my daughter and her dorm friends dropped by. They were all wearing their maroon and gold bibs and accepted an invitation to help themselves with the spread that was sitting out. They were by themselves at the table and I watched from the corner of my eye as they stuffed every pocket those bibs have with rolls, sandwiches, cookies, bars, etc....basically anything that would fit in a dorm fridge. A very fond memory.:)

Having a 7 National Titles Football Forum where the important stuff like recruit stars, hand-held times, Bielma being a dickhead, uniform combinations, etc. were discussed instead of having a forum that seems like an extension of the Off-Topic Board.

Top Bottom