Berkley Edwards...

Sand Gopher

Reaction score
It was good to see Berkley Edwards break into the defensive backfield on a couple of runs. Seemed like he had trouble really getting past the line of scrimmage in past games. I want to see him hit holes and move into the secondary in the future. Hope he's learning by watching David Cobb.

Berkley just isn't great up the middle yet, but wow is he fast. If you can get him in space he might be gone every time. His acceleration is unbelievable. Really glad to have him on the team and hope he continues to progress.

When Kill was at NIU, didn't they have a smaller fast back like that when they played us? Had a lot of big runs if I remember right.

Berkley just isn't great up the middle yet, but wow is he fast. If you can get him in space he might be gone every time. His acceleration is unbelievable. Really glad to have him on the team and hope he continues to progress.

When Kill was at NIU, didn't they have a smaller fast back like that when they played us? Had a lot of big runs if I remember right.

Chad Spann?

It will be interesting to watch how Edwards develops considering it's only Rodrick in front of him next year with Jones and Smith being unknowns still.

They need to spring him loose somehow against OSU when they least expect it.

I'd like to see him alternate with KJ Maye in that new version of the jet-sweep. He'd burst around the edge.

I'd like to see him alternate with KJ Maye in that new version of the jet-sweep. He'd burst around the edge.

Nailed it. I've been wanting this all year. Get him in space. I think maybe he still needs a little time learning when to turn it up which is preventing him from getting these looks. He seems to be undecided which hole to hit when he has the ball but man does he fly through the hole once he makes his decision. He's very fun to watch once he starts going.

Berk dislocated a shoulder early on & has had issues with it most of the season. Hopefully his activity against Iowa indicates he's ready to go.

Kill commented last week that "honestly they haven't blocked very well when Edwards has carried the ball." Saturday was a nice glimpse into the future.

I really believe that next year will be a true committee of Jones, Edwards, and R. Williams.

Can someone elaborate on what the "new version of the Jet sweep" means? I was at the game so couldn't notice any schematic changes that were made to spring KJ loose.

Kill commented last week that "honestly they haven't blocked very well when Edwards has carried the ball." Saturday was a nice glimpse into the future.

I really believe that next year will be a true committee of Jones, Edwards, and R. Williams.

It seems like the not blocking well is something common to RB back-ups. It's not exclusive to us at all. I often wonder if it's a timing issue or a read issue. When Berkley has a hole he hits it quick, but Yards After Contact will have to be something he'll need to continue to develop.

I think for the time being, Berkley would thrive on the mis-direction. Once he's in open space, watch out!!

I really like Berkley's outlook:
1.) He's been hurt/hindered by his shoulder most of this year, thus slowing his development and probably not been given as many looks as he could have gotten if he were 100%
2.) Whenever hes in, we run him. I would actually like to see a stat about this, the defense always keys on him when hes in the backfield.
3.) On his runs I see the O-line not get as much push to create holes for him as they do for Cobb, but maybe that is just me thinking too much.
4.) We run him up the middle too much, he need to do the new jet sweep with him, or pitch outs, or reverses, or sweeps. He is crazy fast and in the future years he will be able to put on size and be able to balance out and run up the middle too.
5.) Cobbs effectiveness this year has really put every other RB on the sidelines.

Can someone elaborate on what the "new version of the Jet sweep" means? I was at the game so couldn't notice any schematic changes that were made to spring KJ loose.

Two things.
1. We ran the QB more
2. Iowa sucks on the edges.

I really like Berkley's outlook:
1.) He's been hurt/hindered by his shoulder most of this year, thus slowing his development and probably not been given as many looks as he could have gotten if he were 100%
2.) Whenever hes in, we run him. I would actually like to see a stat about this, the defense always keys on him when hes in the backfield.
3.) On his runs I see the O-line not get as much push to create holes for him as they do for Cobb, but maybe that is just me thinking too much.
4.) We run him up the middle too much, he need to do the new jet sweep with him, or pitch outs, or reverses, or sweeps. He is crazy fast and in the future years he will be able to put on size and be able to balance out and run up the middle too.
5.) Cobbs effectiveness this year has really put every other RB on the sidelines.

Cobb sets up blocks also. Edwards needs to be a little more patient and that will come with reps.

Cobb sets up blocks also. Edwards needs to be a little more patient and that will come with reps.

Completely agree with this. The guy I sit next to and I exclaim *every* game how impressed we are with Cobb's vision and patience this year. It's been so fun to see him just wait that half step and then BAM! He's through the line for a 10 yard gain. But I'm certain that takes time and experience to learn.
Edwards probably still has a little bit of that mindset that he had in high school where he was light years ahead of everyone else on the field. Maybe he's still the fastest one on the field but the gap isn't as great, he can't just run away from everyone. But I'm in agreement with this thread in that I was encouraged to see him break a couple nice runs. Can't wait to see more of that in the future.

One thing the truly great running backs have is the ability on a sweep is to cut back against the pursuit. The good ones will just take it up the sidelines till they get knocked out or run out of bounds.

There was a run late in the game on Saturday where Berkeley went off tackle, bounced it out, and turned the corner as fast as anyone I can recall in recent memory for the Gophers. Just need to get him consistent and/or creative touches (ala the Jet Sweep already mentioned).

I understand people wanting Edwards involved in the jet sweep, but in that scenario it may not work as well since the defense would be able to have an extra LB on the field, whereas with Maye or Jones the D has to respect them in the passing game.

Don't sleep on Rodney Smith.

Mitch made great decisions on the read on Saturday.

This set up everything else.

The jet sweep was just another moving piece they couldn't manage.

I'd love to see Kill use Edwards the way Chip Kelly uses Darren Sproles in Philly...getting him the ball in motion (jet sweeps, screens into the flat. etc.) to take advantage of his speed.

Top Bottom