Berkeley Edwards

Baring injury i don't think it is unrealistic to expect Jeff to rush for 1,600-1,900 yards at his peak. I mean that is somewhat expected when you are the #1 RB and actually #1 overall offensive recruit on rivals in the conference.

Winasota, so you are saying a -> = an = ?

I'm saying they are NOT! -> = -> They are arrows.... Should have used dashes I guess??? I don't know...

Just saying that the run of RB's we had in the early 00s was awesome. I'm equally excited for this crop of horses we've got in the backfield.

Goddamnit who cares who is better than who. I love Minnesota Running backs and I'm glad we're back to pounding the goddamn rock. It's 100% against my general preference when it comes to sports and tempo, but goddamnit I loved watching Maroney, MB3 and company gash teams with 2TE sets 2 wide and a single back. Pick a hole and run for 8, next back, next play!

Baring injury i don't think it is unrealistic to expect Jeff to rush for 1,600-1,900 yards at his peak. I mean that is somewhat expected when you are the #1 RB and actually #1 overall offensive recruit on rivals in the conference.

Recruiting rankings don't equate to college success! We've been over this. It's an indicator, an educated guess, of how good of a college player one can be, but especially in football it can just be a crapshoot. Nobody really knows how JJ's career is going to play out; hopefully it'll be a good one though!

I think the only question at this point is how many rules will the NCAA have to change to account for the ways that Edwards revolutionizes the game. Clearly today's rules are unfair to all opposing defenses. They'll really have to get creative to prevent him from having 800 yds and 15 TDs every game.

I think he just needs to change his name to Kirkland. It just rolls off the tongue, plus he's got a nice string of home decor shops as well.

Actually kirknell wooddon sounds good, oh and there's donkirk woodnell, maybe even woodkirk nelnod?

My dad calls him kirkwoodland sometimes. Not trying to be a D!#k, just think its funny.

I think he just needs to change his name to Kirkland. It just rolls off the tongue, plus he's got a nice string of home decor shops as well.

Actually kirknell wooddon sounds good, oh and there's donkirk woodnell, maybe even woodkirk nelnod?

My dad calls him kirkwoodland sometimes. Not trying to be a D!#k, just think its funny.

I get the hint! Wow, Kirkland is not close. Surprised/kinda not surprised it took this long for someone to mention it.

Recruiting rankings don't equate to college success! We've been over this. It's an indicator, an educated guess, of how good of a college player one can be, but especially in football it can just be a crapshoot. Nobody really knows how JJ's career is going to play out; hopefully it'll be a good one though!

Yes well its my educated guess that he will rush for 1,600-1,900 yards baring injury. You know what i mean.

It would sure be nice to have some speed back there for the first time in....a decade.

I love, love, love David Cobb. 100% pure football player. My kind of guy. But we left 3-4 touchdowns on the field last year because he's slow as hell.

Cobb isn't THAT slow. He simply isn't outrunning smaller, quicker d-backs. He makes up for his lack of speed with some surprising shiftiness.

Cobb isn't THAT slow. He simply isn't outrunning smaller, quicker d-backs. He makes up for his lack of speed with some surprising shiftiness.

Ya, if he thinks Cobb is slow. We ran Kirkwood as the feature back two years ago. That was an...experiment.

Best stable of backs we have had for 10 years no doubt. And we got a nice spectrum of skills - guys that will put the hurt on and guys with elite speed and slashing chops. Makes for nice playbook material. I'm really looking forward to watching this offense for the next couple of years.

If we could meld the battering ram toughness of Kirkwood, the speed of Edwards, and the incredible moves of Jeff Jones we would have this guy. Nothing to do with gophers or MN but he sure is fun to watch. Jeff Jones probably comes closest to the decleating quick twitch moves of Barry of any gopher recruit I can recall. Maybe some of the older timers have other ideas.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/-JzKUmUx64E" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Interesting reading the angry patriot fans in the comment section on this one.

Awesome. We could be seeing those days again soon, just a different flavor.

Marion Barber had the moves.

At this point, I'll just be happy if he gets on Campus.

Yeah it is interesting reading the speculation about this being one of the greatest backfields in Gopher history when at the moment one piece of it is still trying to qualify and another clearly has speed but has yet to take the field in an actual game so we really have no idea how good he is going to be.

There is certainly potential in this group currently on the roster but they need to prove it before they get tossed around with the stable of backs that came through during the Mason years. Those guys got it done on the field, this group has not done that yet. Hopefully by the end of this season we are all talking about the great group of guys in the backfield because that will most likely mean we had a really good season.

Agree but there's nothing wrong with a little irrational exuberance. Look at the US soccer fans. It's all about having fun and dreaming about what could be. I like that the players are starting to believe. That's step one. Maybe the fans will start to believe this year.

I have every reason to think the offense is on the upswing and Cobb and the the rest will have a great year. I'm hoping for somewhere close to 3000 team rushing yards which isn't ridiculous with these guys. I may be in the minority here but I think Leidner and the receivers take a significant step.

Our offense has been bad for so long it's hard to remember what it's like to sustain drives and pile up big yardage.

I remember someone posting on here that Jerry kill's offenses are never prolific. Well, that's not always the case. His first two teams at NIU were mediocre offensively and his third team exploded. I believe they were top 20 in total yards and ypg. 3600+ yds rushing and 2655 passing.

http://www.cfbstats.com/2010/leader/national/team/offense/split01/category10/sort01.html

Not saying the gophs will even come close to that but the theory that his teams will always be hamstrung by offensive philosophy is false. The pieces are falling into place.

Yeah it is interesting reading the speculation about this being one of the greatest backfields in Gopher history when at the moment one piece of it is still trying to qualify and another clearly has speed but has yet to take the field in an actual game so we really have no idea how good he is going to be.

There is certainly potential in this group currently on the roster but they need to prove it before they get tossed around with the stable of backs that came through during the Mason years. Those guys got it done on the field, this group has not done that yet. Hopefully by the end of this season we are all talking about the great group of guys in the backfield because that will most likely mean we had a really good season.

Who exactly is saying any of that?

Theres genuine excitement for the potential here. Obviously none of them other than Cobb have done a damn thing yet.

I omitted him based on the context of "greatest backfield in history", kirkwood/land's accomplishments definately are not in that conversation. But you are right, he has at least played.

If our line improves significantly this year like we are hoping/expecting I think Kirkwood could have a decent year. We will have to see how far down he is on the depth chart. Always thought he had a great attitude and ran hard. I agree though not on that list of greats/ potential greats.

I omitted him based on the context of "greatest backfield in history", kirkwood/land's accomplishments definately are not in that conversation. But you are right, he has at least played.

Well i mean if our 4/5th string back has ran for over 900 yards in a single season than i think that would be a contributing factor in this being a very very good backfield. If by just playing than Roderick is in there too.

Well i mean if our 4/5th string back has ran for over 900 yards in a single season than i think that would be a contributing factor in this being a very very good backfield. If by just playing than Roderick is in there too.

I quit.

You get where I was going... I'm not trying to discount anyones accomplishments. It was a stupid list.

I'M SORRY!

Top Bottom