Ben Johnson to have contract extended one year?

Heating Coyle loves to hand out those extensions.

But - please note - no change in salary. Still ranks 14th in B1G.

if Johnson is fired, the buyout terms were adjusted:
year 1-2-3: 100% of remaining base salary (was year 1 & 2)
year 4 - 75%
year 5- 50%
after year 5 - 25%.

same deal if Johnson wants to leave and buy his way out of the contract.

Not related to Ben at all, but I have never understood why the buyout for both coach and team were not identical. Hey you want a $4m buyout if you get fired, sure, but that is the same number you pay us if you leave. You want a cheap out clause, thats just fine but you arent getting much if you get fired.

Anyone have a serious answer on how this sht occurs coming off last place? Lemme guess it helps recruiting?

Anyone have a serious answer on how this sht occurs coming off last place? Lemme guess it helps recruiting?
Your guess is correct. Johnson is one year into a long tenure as head coach. Last place was expected last year. Ben did well with a mostly mid-major roster, proving he can coach and motivate.

His first recruiting class is solid. Improvement is expected this year.

When you have the coach you want, it makes sense to extend for recruiting purposes.

It’s kind of the cost of doing business
We may never see a coach with less than 2 years on a contract again

I was pretty sure they did it just to piss you off. Very few coaches in college work on less than four year contracts. Gives the impression that your coach, who recruited you, will be around when you graduate.

It does seem like a "really?" on the first bite. But he is the 14th highest paid coach in the Big Ten. He can be fired without cause with 30 days notice, so the extension rolls things back to day one giving him year zero for "free."
And, I think we could maybe call it the Chatman clause.
I think it shows support and doesn't cost a tremendous amount additionally. I vote to pass it.
If things go favorably we can show dramatic improvement in year two.

I was pretty sure they did it just to piss you off. Very few coaches in college work on less than four year contracts. Gives the impression that your coach, who recruited you, will be around when you graduate.
I agree with your why but the guys you really want to recruit won't stay four years anyway. :)

It is just another cheap year for a B1G coach. He did good enough to risk that money for another year, but not good enough to get a huge raise. If things go as planned, the next contracts will not be so cheap.

It’s kind of the cost of doing business
We may never see a coach with less than 2 years on a contract again
Let’s coaches become complacent with the “well I got 5 more years” mentality.

Let’s coaches become complacent with the “well I got 5 more years” mentality.
When has it really affected them getting fired? Years on the contract don’t matter much as long as the contract goes through next recruiting class. Only a large buyout really provides security.

When has it really affected them getting fired? Years on the contract don’t matter much as long as the contract goes through next recruiting class. Only a large buyout really provides security.
No it won’t impact them getting fired

Some people would feel better if they had a two year deal but the same amount of money guaranteed

Actually, it's Spaulding's fault.

Coyle hates Spaulding, so he said, "I'm going to show that SOB. I'll extend Johnson's contract for another year. How do ya like them apples, Spaulding?"
Isn't Spaulding an Iowa or Wiscy fan? Always assumed so.

Fleck got it... I see no harm in doing it one year.. the team over achieved this past year. I'll even say he earned it...

I hope this is sarcasm. I am ok with the extension for all the reasons that 60's posted above, but there was no over achieving happening.
Maybe not over achieving, but you have to agree that Ben exceeded many of the extremely low expectation of many.

This is just how these kinds of contracts will always play out.

These types of extensions are nothing more than "we didn't see anything to make us regret our decision last year". Is Ben going to be a success here? I hope so and I am encouraged, but who knows? Is Ben going to be a failure here? I haven't seen anything that made me think he can't do the job. Even Ben's biggest critics would look silly sounding the alarm bells right now.

In this situation, where a coach inherited a mess and the first year went about as planned, I think these kinds of extensions are pretty standard.

Maybe on the court. Roster construction is also part of the job
This is an important note. I saw people saying it with Pitino too (implying that he didn't have a good enough team to win).

I gave Ben a pass on talent last year.
This year, he is getting significantly less of a pass - that doesn't always mean wins but at least flashes.
Next year, we simply cannot make the excuse that the team isn't very good. Building the roster is part of his job.

Top Bottom