Ben Johnson is a Disaster

His composite was around 50. I just don't take the composite very seriously anymore because ESPN and Rivals aren't very good.

I would take the opposite view (just like I would with team ranking indexes). Since rankings are likely to vary in their accuracy (just like election polls), I'd trust a composite more than any single individual index or ranking. This isn't really a science where you can precisely measure something.

I would take the opposite view (just like I would with team ranking indexes). Since rankings are likely to vary in their accuracy (just like election polls), I'd trust a composite more than any single individual index or ranking. This isn't really a science where you can precisely measure something.
I used to but ESPN and Rivals are so bad now and their evaluations and rankings don't get updated very often.

As much complaining has been down about this thread, it's always the pro Ben Johnson crowd that bumps this thread. 🤷‍♂️

Do you remember when you told me that you "didn't know there was a right side or a wrong side?"

That was a lie (although maybe you didn't realize it was a lie). Since you always are arguing for the same side, you obviously know which one is right. A person is what he does, not how he sees himself.

Do you remember when you told me that you "didn't know there was a right side or a wrong side?"

That was a lie (although maybe you didn't realize it was a lie). Since you always are arguing for the same side, you obviously know which one is right. A person is what he does, not how he sees himself.

I don't remember saying those exact words but I generally feel this is a board where we offer opinion. Some opinions you might like. Some you might not. But then we can hopefully have a reasonable debate without the personal attacks. There are no "facts" or "right side" when it comes to where this program should be today. There are only opinions. So I'm not sure that I know which one is right at this point. I have only my opinion.

I've been consistent on a few things when posting on the basketball board.
1) If you click on the Ben Johnson is a Disaster thread, you should know what you are getting. Ben Johnson is a public figure and a well compensated one at that so criticism levied his way is not out of bounds, in my view.
2) If other threads are hijacked continually with Ben Johnson negativity, then hammer away at me or anybody else that does that. I don't have any issue with other posters showing frustration if he/she wants to discuss other things related to the program.
3) I generally don't have a ton of patience for complaining about refs. It's a weak position generally. Not every game do the referees screw us. Maybe I'm in the minority on this position.

"A person is what he does, not how he sees himself". I agree. I don't believe I've changed how I post. I'll debate my positions but rarely get sucked into the childish name-calling and back and forth that others on this board do continuously. I feel your issue with me recently is more with the content of my posts, not with the approach. In that case, your assessment of me is incorrect. You and I disagree on the trajectory of Ben Johnson. That's fine. No big deal. Ironically I've actually been complimentary of him in my most recent posts. He deserves and will get a year four.

So a pro Ben Johnson person is bumping this after two losses in a row? I don't have the time to search out what side he's on but seems like odd timing if that's the case.
It wouldn’t have taken 18 hours for this thread to be bumped had we won. It’s okay though. The CBJ apology tour is small and they’ve been smacked around pretty good the last few years. I don’t blame them for taking a victory lap and I’ll gladly eat crow if they turn out to be right and Ben is a success.

I’m glad a couple of them waited until the game was actually over before celebrating though.

It wouldn’t have taken 18 hours for this thread to be bumped had we won. It’s okay though. The CBJ apology tour is small and they’ve been smacked around pretty good the last few years. I don’t blame them for taking a victory lap and I’ll gladly eat crow if they turn out to be right and Ben is a success.

I’m glad a couple of them waited until the game was actually over before celebrating though.
Good post Bob. I've been on Ben's bandwagon since he was hired. I really want young black men to succeed. I hope Ben does too.

I didn't know that but I'm not surprised. ESPN really has gone downhill in a number of ways.
I think there were massive lay-offs a while ago. I've never been a subscriber, so I can't comment on the coverage beyond the paywall. I still find the site useful and easy to navigate when it comes to getting scores and statistics. Presentation is more clear than at any of the league sites (MLB, NFL, NBA).

For the record and in the vein of this thread, I don't know how good or bad a coach Ben will turn out to be, but he finally found a set of good guards and that is clearly making a difference.

Maybe, maybe not. Coming into this season we were at an extreme low point so putting together a challenging non conference schedule could have led to early season losses and a lack of confidence from the players.

It took them a while to hit their stride. Would love a rematch with Missouri and San Franscisco right now because THIS version of the Gophers probably wins both of those game.
Gophers would run train on Missouri now. USF not so sure. They’re 21-7 and most recently took #18 St Mary’s to the wire. Would be a fun rematch tho

This might be a contrarian hot take at the moment, but let's not forget that the Gophers have blown at least three games and maybe more because of tactical errors. This team has a very good roster and could have more wins.
Tactical errors and poor execution have cost a few games. The players and coaches share in the blame for the loses just like they share in the credit for the wins.

But yeah, this team is not far off from having a really strong record had they been able to finish in a handful of games so far this season.

Tactical errors and poor execution have cost a few games. The players and coaches share in the blame for the loses just like they share in the credit for the wins.

But yeah, this team is not far off from having a really strong record had they been able to finish in a handful of games so far this season.
They realistically should have 3 more wins. But can’t do anything about it now

This might be a contrarian hot take at the moment, but let's not forget that the Gophers have blown at least three games and maybe more because of tactical errors. This team has a very good roster and could have more wins.
As do all big ten teams. Illinois just blew a 7 point lead in 40 seconds. tactical errors happen when you have one force trying to stop the force of another team.

They realistically should have 3 more wins. But can’t do anything about it now
In the end it really becomes a wash because there were wins that could have gone the other way as well. Pretty rare that there aren't games over the course of a season that you look back on and feel like it could have been a win if just a few things had broken right or a few less mistakes had been made.

In the end it really becomes a wash because there were wins that could have gone the other way as well. Pretty rare that there aren't games over the course of a season that you look back on and feel like it could have been a win if just a few things had broken right or a few less mistakes had been made.
In the end of the day, it’s been an enjoyable season. They’ve already blown past expectations so if they’re not in the tournament but make the NIT I still consider it a win, and a successful season. Rome wasn’t built in a day and ya gotta walk before you can run 🤷‍♂️

It's interesting to see the change over the course of the season.

early on, the "Ben is a disaster" posters were pretty vocal. then when the team started playing better, the pro-Ben posters became more outspoken.

and now, there are a lot of posters who are practically giddy in their praise of the team.

To be clear - I am happy the Gophers are playing better. It's fun to see them winning. but - for all the progress made this year, there is still a long way to go. the Gophers did not receive a single vote in the new AP top-25 poll. they need to keep playing well and make a showing in the B1G Tournament just to make the NIT, let alone the NCAA.

when you start in the cellar, getting to the 1st floor seems like an accomplishment. but if the ultimate goal is to make it to the penthouse, you still have a lot of stairs to climb.

It's interesting to see the change over the course of the season.

early on, the "Ben is a disaster" posters were pretty vocal. then when the team started playing better, the pro-Ben posters became more outspoken.

and now, there are a lot of posters who are practically giddy in their praise of the team.

To be clear - I am happy the Gophers are playing better. It's fun to see them winning. but - for all the progress made this year, there is still a long way to go. the Gophers did not receive a single vote in the new AP top-25 poll. they need to keep playing well and make a showing in the B1G Tournament just to make the NIT, let alone the NCAA.

when you start in the cellar, getting to the 1st floor seems like an accomplishment. but if the ultimate goal is to make it to the penthouse, you still have a lot of stairs to climb.
Is making the Dance the penthouse for you?

The Dance seems like a stretch at this point unless they win out or only drop 1 ROS.

We're playing great and it's a lot of fun, but I lean towards the fact that it's going to need to be BTT Champs or No Dance.

That's fine. Ben has done a great job and we'll see what happens last couple weeks of year. I'll hop on board an NIT run as well.

Top Bottom