Belated PJ Fleck Interview Report 3-1-20 (better late than never edition)

So you don't agree with PJ that we have 3-4 experienced tight ends that can be a big part of the game and play at a high level?

I believe we should run the ball with our best runners, throw the ball with our best passers, catch the ball with our best receivers and block with our best blockers. If PJ wants to use the TEs as receivers more I would assume it means he thinks they can make big plays. If PJ wants to use the TEs as mainly blockers, I am good with that as well. He sees them catch and not catch in practice, run well or not run well in practice. I don't. Nor do you. As to what he says from one second to the very next second I take all of that as just PJ keeping everyone happy, happy.

TEs are clearly blockers first, second, and third so far for this coaching regime. When a TE pass play is called...whether from the sidelines or something last minute Tanner sees...must be huge for the TE that's the target.

A thought experiment would be how Maxx would be used in this offense? Holding everything else constant with the line, RBs, receivers, and QB...now THAT would be fun to watch.

As someone has in their name, maybe...someday?

The Gophers Offense will continue to evolve. The Gophers system seems to be very adaptable. Adjustments will be made based on personnel talents, and adjustments to counter the opponents' strengths.

We will see more TE involvement, but not at the expense of the excellent wide-outs and RBs. Who knows, maybe we will see RBs catching passes as part of the RPO wrinkle this season. If they have an ultimate talented TE on the other hand, they will massage the plays to the strengths of their personnel.

You are correct. TEs are always going to be indispensable in the Gophers game as primarily extra linemen. They used TEs, FB, and OLs to effectively neutralized a vaunted Auburn Defense by trapping them. And then pow! A couple of TE catches proved devastating to Auburn. If they have another Maxx Williams type player in the lineup, you bet the offensive script will be tweaked to utilize his skill set.

Thanks again SON for all the hard work that you do for GH. I greatly appreciate all the extra hard work that you put in to get the PJ Fleck interview summaries.

Top Bottom