Belated PJ Fleck Interview Report 3-1-20 (better late than never edition)

short ornery norwegian

Reaction score
Sorry for the delay. Computer still being wonky. WCCO posted the audio of the Fleck Interview.

Max: what have you been up to since last 2 months.
PJ: lot of clinic time. clinics all over. players on campus. work on winter conditioning. able to be with players on campus for limited amount of time each week. get together with staff. lot of new coaches on staff. blend together. spring ball next week.

Sid: new recruits in camp. how many help you?
PJ: 100 year birthday. look forward to that. players - we don't know yet. 8 players joined us early for Spring practice. like the way they look, they work. need young guys for depth on defensive side of ball. find out more in Spring.

Mona: magazines - predict top B1G non-conf Games. two of your games. Florida Atlantic and BYU.
PJ: two teams going to face out of conf at Div 1-A level. FAU had tremendous year. return lot of people. QB talented, athletic. BYU always a tough FB game. home or away. grown men. older. 24, 25, 26 coming back from mission. ready to play. very physical. had a lot of success. good QB in Wilson. wonderful non-conf schedule.

Sid: new ones in camp. outstanding work. can they help this year.
PJ: we'll find out. got to get through Spring ball first. they just got here. adapt to new life. college life. College FB. expectations. find out more when we get through spring ball.

Max: Tanner morgan makes so few mistakes. you know you've got a smart QB.
PJ: that's true for all our QB's. Jacob, Cole, Tanner, Zach - all very smart. all hard workers. love to compete. exceptional leaders. a room like that controls the FB game. Mike Sanford - for the most part our system will be the same, but when you look at what Mike Sanford brings, he brings this technical edge. this true technical footwork. throwing from the foundation. He played QB, he's coached QB's his whole career. he's got this energy level that's off the charts. you plug that into our QB room, have something really special. Our QB's feeding off his energy, his positivity. in terms of how he builds them. I don't think our QB's have worked this hard in their entire life - the last few weeks - January, February our conditioning program. and you can see them continue to develop, get better. being challenged every day.

Mona: lost 2 RB's. Ibrahim back. RB situation.
PJ: Cam Wiley - saw a little bit. only played 4 games. 6'2" 200 lbs. phenomenal off-season. Really big, strong, quick, explosive. one of fastest kids on team. have to develop. Kenni Burns does good job. expedite his growth. look at Bryce Williams - played FR year, red-shirted him last year. helped us beat Wisc. back in mix. Ky Thomas. Gatorade player of year in KS. just joined us. long way to go. lot of room for improvement. we might not have those 1 or 2 names that everyone knows. Mohammed might be one of those names. everyone else has got to earn it. make a name for themselves. exciting part of building team for fall.

Sid: see red-shirts moving in and playing this year?
PJ: need to. offensively lot of people back, but Cam Wiley red-shirted last year, Bryce Williamson red-shirted last year. Jason Williamson - lot of people forgot about him. what he's going to do. big, strong, physical back. and then you go to the defensive side of the ball. that's where we're going to need a lot of guys for depth. Coughlin, Martin, Winfield, Barber gone. who's going to be the guys who fill in for those roles. Sori-Marin played last year, going to have a huge role. Braylin Oliver. played a little bit last year. secondary - Howden, Nubin, some other FR, bring in 3 safeties. might get even younger on defense. more inexperienced. as a whole, have to find a way to get better.

Mona: auburn Game. TE's play bigger role moving forward.
PJ: can't shove a square peg into a round hole TE's aren't ready to be a big integral part of the offense. probably won't be. last year felt like we had a chance, and then got some guys hurt, so it wasn't a big part of what we were doing. this year, going to be a huge part. feel we've got 3-4 experienced TE's who can really be a big part of the game. play at high level. Mike Sanford - everywhere he's been, he's been able to use the TE's a lot more. and that's what we want to develop into. year 4 at WMU used our TE's. A unique position. have to be ready to use it at a high level. if you use it - taking a ball that's going to Bateman, Douglas, Autman-Bell, one of the RB's. got to be worth it. we feel it is worth it. Our TE's have developed. Clay Patterson does great job coaching them. feel like that's the best the room has been since we've been there.

Sid: do you think the fact - guys went to combine - if they make it in NFL, does that help your program.
PJ: of course. any time you have guys make it in the NFL, that helps your program. a lot of people use things against us. we haven't done this. we haven't done that. we haven't had an OL drafted in 16 years. That is all going to change very quickly over this year, next year. the following year. never be able to use that against us again as we go through building, rebuilding, building MN into a champion. really excited. those 4 guys at the combine - very proud of them, happy for them. they deserve everything they're getting. set the foundation for what we're doing into the future as we continue to get a lot of guys drafted every single year that are coming through our pipeline. that we recruited, developed, put into the NFL. going to be a really exciting time for Gopher FB over the next decade. as you see this change of how many players from MN are drafted. not just because of their talent, but because of their culture, NFL ready. that's what's exciting. Happy birthday Sid coming up.

Sid: Think there will be big competition for all positions? (Mike Max tries to end interview and award Murray's certificate...)
PJ: he's going to be 100. he can ask me 50 more questions. (laughing)

Sid: Murray's. hope you start being on every week.
PJ: RTB, Ski-U-Mah, Go Gophers.

...Clay Patterson does great job coaching them. like that's the best the room has been since we've been there....

——-

I’m not going to lie...all that talk about Sanford working with “foundations” and footwork of the QBs makes me a little nervous.

PJ made it sound like we have another competition for QB1.

“Pad level!” was a frequent PJ refrain at the practice I attended regarding Wiley. It will be really Interesting to see who emerges at running back this season. Wiley is an elite athlete but remains to be seen if he’s an elite running back.

Good to hear they may utilize the tight end as pass catcher a little more this season at high-impact moments. Apparently there is a room.

There will be a lot of diplomatic messaging regarding the qb
position as far as keeping guys happy and in the fold. This is maybe where PJ’s elite sales chops will really stand out.

...Clay Patterson does great job coaching them. like that's the best the room has been since we've been there....

——-

I’m not going to lie...all that talk about Sanford working with “foundations” and footwork of the QBs makes me a little nervous.

PJ made it sound like we have another competition for QB1.

I thought the same thing. Tanner Morgan was one of the best QBs in the nation last year, and now you're gong to screw with his footwork?!

If SON has it correct (usually does), sounds like PJ much happier with Sanford than Kirk.

PJ really seems to like Wiley. Would be nice to see a guy be able to go to the house from the backfield. Nice to hear they still like the Owatonna Oh My at running back.

He has mentioned a few times about the incoming freshmen safeties. Howden played as true frosh, Winfield played as true frosh. Interested to see Dunbar, who early enrolled. Dixon and Glaze due in June. Would love a St Juste level grad transfer safety or nickel. Lot of unknowns replacing Winfield, Williamson, and Kiondre.

Thanks SON. Fleck's been pretty consistent on how he characterizes the TEs, don't see them becoming more involved in getting the ball.

TEs are clearly blockers first, second, and third so far for this coaching regime. When a TE pass play is called...whether from the sidelines or something last minute Tanner sees...must be huge for the TE that's the target.

A thought experiment would be how Maxx would be used in this offense? Holding everything else constant with the line, RBs, receivers, and QB...now THAT would be fun to watch.

As someone has in their name, maybe...someday?

I thought the same thing. Tanner Morgan was one of the best QBs in the nation last year, and now you're gong to screw with his footwork?!

That is one way to look at it. Of course the other way to look at it is working to tweak things in order to take his game to the next level. I am not qualified to analyze Tanner's technique but my guess is that there are things he can continue to improve at since that is the case with every single player in every sport.

Just because he had a big year, doesn't mean he is a finished product or doesn't have things to work at. I don't see this as a Jedd Fisch/Adam Weber situation at this point. If we start to watch Morgan play and it looks like his game has regressed bigtime from last year, then we can panic.

Thanks SON. Fleck's been pretty consistent on how he characterizes the TEs, don't see them becoming more involved in getting the ball.

I would be the TE production in the passing game will go up some next year. How much remains to be seen based on what those guys can do. It was pretty clear that KC didn't like to throw to the TE but that could certainly change under Sanford. Too early to really say one way or the other of course.

If SON has it correct (usually does), sounds like PJ much happier with Sanford than Kirk.

PJ really seems to like Wiley. Would be nice to see a guy be able to go to the house from the backfield. Nice to hear they still like the Owatonna Oh My at running back.

He has mentioned a few times about the incoming freshmen safeties. Howden played as true frosh, Winfield played as true frosh. Interested to see Dunbar, who early enrolled. Dixon and Glaze due in June. Would love a St Juste level grad transfer safety or nickel. Lot of unknowns replacing Winfield, Williamson, and Kiondre.

I think PJ is always going to spin the positive. Him and Kirk were together for a few years and PJ fought hard to get Kirk back last year.

Morgan was good, but not infallible. Some of his sacks were on him running/moving into pressure.

TEs are clearly blockers first, second, and third so far for this coaching regime. When a TE pass play is called...whether from the sidelines or something last minute Tanner sees...must be huge for the TE that's the target.

A thought experiment would be how Maxx would be used in this offense? Holding everything else constant with the line, RBs, receivers, and QB...now THAT would be fun to watch.

As someone has in their name, maybe...someday?

They don't recruit to incoming TE's to only be blockers

To many excellent wide outs to take a chance with our TE. If we are throwing to the TE, needs to be second and short on plus side of the fifty.

While PJ is really good with his “coach speak” concerning his assistants. The truth remains, he hasn’t hired a great recruiter yet. At least according to a published list of the top recruiters in the big ten. No Gopher Assistant is listed. Two from Becky and two from the Nubby also two from PU. One would think that PJ would be tired of fighting the numbers and hire a recruiter first, coach second.

While PJ is really good with his “coach speak” concerning his assistants. The truth remains, he hasn’t hired a great recruiter yet. At least according to a published list of the top recruiters in the big ten. No Gopher Assistant is listed. Two from Becky and two from the Nubby also two from PU. One would think that PJ would be tired of fighting the numbers and hire a recruiter first, coach second.

Can't tell if you are serious or trying to be sarcastic.

If you are serious I wouldn't put a ton of stock in those top recruiter lists. Those kind of things are super subjective and I don't know that there is a really good way to rank something like that anyway since the recruiting of players typically involves way more then just one coach to get the job done.

Pad level!” was a frequent PJ refrain at the practice I attended regarding Wiley. It will be really Interesting to see who emerges at running back this season. Wiley is an elite athlete but remains to be seen if he’s an elite running back.

Good to hear they may utilize the tight end as pass catcher a little more this season at high-impact moments. Apparently there is a room.

There will be a lot of diplomatic messaging regarding the qb
position as far as keeping guys happy and in the fold. This is maybe where PJ’s elite sales chops will really stand out.

Isn't Wiley 6'2"? Being that tall, it might take a while to get the bend they are looking for if they ever do. Some taller backs run more upright. Eric Dickerson, and Eddie George come to mind.

Fleck above on TEs: "A unique position. have to be ready to use it at a high level. if you use it - taking a ball that's going to Bateman, Douglas, Autman-Bell, one of the RB's. got to be worth it. we feel it is worth it. " My thoughts exactly. You have to have guys who will, in fact, catch the ball. You have to have guys who will not only catch the ball but do something with it other than get knocked down right away. As the coach is saying, throwing to the TE means you are not doing the other thing as much as maybe you should be doing. It has to be net positive play compared to the other options. Do we, in fact have a Max Williams on the team this year?

Fleck above on TEs: "A unique position. have to be ready to use it at a high level. if you use it - taking a ball that's going to Bateman, Douglas, Autman-Bell, one of the RB's. got to be worth it. we feel it is worth it. " My thoughts exactly. You have to have guys who will, in fact, catch the ball. You have to have guys who will not only catch the ball but do something with it other than get knocked down right away. As the coach is saying, throwing to the TE means you are not doing the other thing as much as maybe you should be doing. It has to be net positive play compared to the other options. Do we, in fact have a Max Williams on the team this year?
Couldn't we use the same logic and argue against throwing to anyone other than Bateman? I mean, clearly he has the best chance of maximizing that pass play. The argument for more TE plays is all about more options - opening up things for everyone.

Couldn't we use the same logic and argue against throwing to anyone other than Bateman? I mean, clearly he has the best chance of maximizing that pass play. The argument for more TE plays is all about more options - opening up things for everyone.

So you do not agree with what Fleck said? An inefffective TE out running patterns is not available for what the QB needs the most, blocking. Just saying that there are no magic TE standing around on our team doing nothing when they could be out there being good pluggers out there not catching passes while running bad routes. Understand what the coach is saying.

So you do not agree with what Fleck said? An inefffective TE out running patterns is not available for what the QB needs the most, blocking. Just saying that there are no magic TE standing around on our team doing nothing when they could be out there being good pluggers out there not catching passes while running bad routes. Understand what the coach is saying.
Pj offends him on a daily basis

Both of these things can be true simultaneously; do everything you can to put the ball into the hands of your best athletes and the offense can be made stronger overall if the TE is a legit threat once in a while. The Auburn game might have turned out differently without those 2 clutch catches by the TE. I personally would like to see TEs used about twice as often as last season, which would still only be about 2 catches per game. It only takes a play or two per game away from Bateman and the gang but it can really break the back of the opposing defense in a tight spot.

Last edited:

BINGO!

Both of these things can be true simultaneously; do everything you can to put the ball into the hands of your best athletes and the offense can be made stronger overall if the TE is a legit threat once in a while. The Auburn game might have turned out differently without those 2 clutch catches by the TE. I personally would like to see TEs used about twice as often as last season, which would still only be about 2 catches per game. It only takes a play or two per game away from Bateman and the gang but is can really break the back of the opposing defense in a tight spot.
Well stated.

Thanks SON. I felt your pain yesterday, glad you're back on your game!!

Did you miss the part where PJ said: "this year, going to be a huge part. feel we've got 3-4 experienced TE's who can really be a big part of the game. play at high level. "

Did you miss the part where PJ said: "this year, going to be a huge part. feel we've got 3-4 experienced TE's who can really be a big part of the game. play at high level. "

No, why? If he has a Max Williams, use him by all means. But to throw to the TEs as some sort of magic solution is silly talk. I love throwing to the TE if they are excellent catchers of the ball and are superior in getting open. I did not see any indication of either skill set until the Auburn game last season. Indeed one of my clearest memories from last season was the totally open soft TD pass of ten yards to one of our all alone TEs being dropped.

No, why? If he has a Max Williams, use him by all means. But to throw to the TEs as some sort of magic solution is silly talk. I love throwing to the TE if they are excellent catchers of the ball and are superior in getting open. I did not see any indication of either skill set until the Auburn game last season. Indeed one of my clearest memories from last season was the totally open soft TD pass of ten yards to one of our all alone TEs being dropped.

So you don't agree with PJ that we have 3-4 experienced tight ends that can be a big part of the game and play at a high level?

Top Bottom