Beilein may soon be on the market

This isn’t a presidential candidate we’re talking about here. At 67, he’s too old.

I agree we might not be the favorite, but I'm curious why you think we'd have no shot? We're likely to be the only opening in the B1G and even if one of the Blue Bloods (UNC perhaps) comes open, it's not likely they would target him due to age. There has be some appeal to come back to the B1G. If his options are Wake Forest, random SEC job, random Pac 12 job, I'd give us as good a shot as the rest.

Sorry to play Debbie Downer here, but if he comes back to Big Ten, which I doubt, no way it's for the Minnesota job. He will go somewhere (geographically speaking) where it's more of a hot bed yearly for top talent. Like Maryland. :)

Last edited:

Sorry to play Debbie Downer here, but if he comes back to Big Ten, which I doubt, no way it's for the Minnesota job. He will go somewhere (geographically speaking) where it's more of a hot bed yearly for top talent. Like Maryland. :)
Is Maryland coming open this year? I doubt any other B1G job is, certainly not that one. He's 67. He's not going to sit around waiting for the "ideal" job to open.

His assistant coach in Cleveland?
John-Blair Bickerstaff.

Interesting.

Former Gopher, young (40) with an impressive CV and wouldn't cost an arm/leg - yet he'd get a nice pay bump based on the salary range for most NBA assistants.

Wonder if he could recruit?
If his NBA credentials would be enticing to recruits?

Built, SS or anyone else have thoughts/insights?

We all have our biases and my lean to those who have toiled at a lower level on their own. Does he even want to recruit ? Does he have a young family ? I know very little of his situation. I tend to guys that won in hyper competitive conferences at lower levels with few resources.

Shaka anyone? I know mega-tongue wanted him. He is still young.

Typical Gophers, last year Hoiberg and Musselman were available and we stuck with Pitino. Now they are locked up and Pitino may be on the way out.

Can PJ coach both sports?

We all have our biases and my lean to those who have toiled at a lower level on their own. Does he even want to recruit ? Does he have a young family ? I know very little of his situation. I tend to guys that won in hyper competitive conferences at lower levels with few resources.
I am sure you have mentioned in other threads on this....IF Pitino is let go....who are your top 5 guys for the Gophers to look at hiring?

Typical Gophers, last year Hoiberg and Musselman were available and we stuck with Pitino. Now they are locked up and Pitino may be on the way out.

Shaka is so yesterday.

Hoiberg is killing it at Nebraska....

But I hear from the GH that Craig Smith is now the sure thing. Coaching like his has not been seen since Dan Monson got Gonzaga on a roll! :)

On a serious note, if Pitino were ousted- I think I'd go with Musselman and I still think we could get him with the right dollars.

Shaka is so yesterday.

Hoiberg is killing it at Nebraska....

But I hear from the GH that Craig Smith is now the sure thing. Coaching like his has not been seen since Dan Monson got Gonzaga on a roll! :)

On a serious note, if Pitino were ousted- I think I'd go with Musselman and I still think we could get him with the right dollars.
Musselmans buyout until April 2021 is $5 million. And hes making 2.5 mil a year.....im not sure the Gophers would anti up the coin to pay the buyout plus give him a big enough raise for him to want to bolt from Arkansas after 1 season.....add in the fact that he has 4 top 100 players commited for 2020 class. He seems to have a good thing going down there.

but on a side note. I would be very happy with Musselman

Musselmans buyout until April 2021 is $5 million. And hes making 2.5 mil a year.....im not sure the Gophers would anti up the coin to pay the buyout plus give him a big enough raise for him to want to bolt from Arkansas after 1 season.....add in the fact that he has 4 top 100 players commited for 2020 class. He seems to have a good thing going down there.

Missed opportunity. Let's not make the same mistake again. Can Pitino today, and make the new hire the first day the new guy ends his current season.

Missed opportunity. Let's not make the same mistake again. Can Pitino today, and make the new hire the first day the new guy ends his current season.

You must have been dropped on your head. Why would an AD fire a coach mid-season when the team is clearly still on the bubble? This is not the NBA. There is no reward for tanking. It's also not a good look to a future coach to know that their new boss would cut their legs out like that.

Plus, any good coaching candidate is going to wait til after the season to weigh out all the openings. The only time a college coach is fired mid-season is if the team has clearly given up on the coach (ours has clearly not) or there are violations.

If anything happens it will be in late March/early April.

I'm on board. I'd still take a crack at Mussleman first. It's pretty shady to ditch a job after one year, but he seems like the type who might do it. He can use the MN ties as an excuse.

Lets hold the phone on Musselman being great or a sure thing as well. So far he has a good class coming in on paper, but he is 4-7 in the SEC which is not a good conference this year and 44th in KenPom. He's not a sure thing either and I still stand by that he may not want the MN job like so many speculate. Either way doubtful he's leaving anyways. If for some reason we fire our coach who still technically has this team on the bubble. I think we should look at lower conference guys. Either way MN isn't getting a sure thing. It will require research which Coyle does and is doing as he said he always has lists.

Looks like Beilein is out in CLE.

For those saying Texas, I agree in principle that he makes sense there but remember, last year they hired his top assistant (Luke Yakalich) and presumably he wouldnt say if Shaka was let go so seems like that may be a touch of an issue.

I would think with him being in the Northern part of the country most of his career, a little less pressure here and the possibility of setting up Yakalich for the future we have a lot of things that would appeal to him.

Looks like Beilein is out in CLE.

For those saying Texas, I agree in principle that he makes sense there but remember, last year they hired his top assistant (Luke Yakalich) and presumably he wouldnt say if Shaka was let go so seems like that may be a touch of an issue.

I would think with him being in the Northern part of the country most of his career, a little less pressure here and the possibility of setting up Yakalich for the future we have a lot of things that would appeal to him.

I think we are assuming a lot by automatically saying Beilein wants to coach again. From what I have been reading, it sounds like whatever "personal reasons" caused his son Patrick to resign from his HC job at Niagara, have had him pretty shaken up. He is 67 and has plenty of money. It'll be interesting to see if he wants to jump back in.

I think Beilein is great coach, but how about Staples,Mn. Native and ex NBA coach Dave Joerger? 45 years old, good teacher of the game. Either one is a good choice.

I think Beilein is great coach, but how about Staples,Mn. Native and ex NBA coach Dave Joerger? 45 years old, good teacher of the game. Either one is a good choice.
Not even remotely on the same level.. and high school coach is a down grade from Pitino

I've seen Shaka's buyout listed at 10.5 million and 13 million. If Texas is going to swallow that number, are they going to turn around and hire a 67 year old coach who just had a horrible ending to his brief NBA tenure? Their first call will be to Chris Beard. I would guess Beilein would be on their list, but where is the question.

Texas is the only job of the likely openings that is better than Minnesota (Texas/Minnesota/Georgia Tech/Wake Forest look like the high majors most likely to make a change right now). We had a poster in this thread make a post that stated essentially that Minnesota had no chance at Beilein and a second post from that same poster that suggested Beilein to Georgia Tech. Georgia Tech has not finished above .500 in the ACC since 2003-2004. Georgia Tech has not been in the NCAA tournament since 2009-2010. Georgia Tech has 2 NIT appearances in the last 9 years. If Pastner was coaching the Gophers, we'd have posters arguing for him to get a couple more years.

Could Beilein take the Georgia Tech job? Of course...but if he could take the Georgia Tech job, he could certainly take the Minnesota job.

Better questions:

Does John Beilein want to coach again? It's unlikely he'll match the success he had at Michigan (as far as tournament success at least) no matter where he ends up. Is he motivated to coach just to coach? Is he motivated to end his career on a better note than the Cavs disaster? Or would he rather just retire being known as a fantastic college coach and not risk a rather ugly end at a new school or schools (Bobby Knight, Tubby Smith, etc).

Do you want John Beilein to be your coach? The "slugs/thugs" thing has legs and reports are that Cavs players started tuning him out as early as training camp. Was it simply a bad fit going to the pros (likely IMHO) or is he starting to lose his ability to connect with younger people? He's 67 and has made a ton of money, do you trust him to outwork a Brad Underwood on the recruiting circuit?

There's no question Beilein is still a fantastic X's and O's coach, but there are real questions/concerns both on his end and a prospective schools end in regards to a return to the NCAA.

Agree. Also not a whisper that he wants to live here. When he was coaching college he loved college towns. We have our coach, let the season play out.

Maybe we should hire Beilein’s son. Because hiring offspring of famous coaches has worked out well for us.

Top Bottom