Beaver Dam (Wis.) DE Owen Salzwedel Commits to Gophers!

I'm just guessing, but I doubt he'll be able to add enough weight to become a big DT. FBT writes, "Body type wise, he's more similar to ​Thieren Cockran​ than anyone else on the roster, though his playing style is more Cameron Botticelli​."

If his height/weight is accurate, his body type will be nothing like Cockran's by the time he plays a game at the U. Cockran just finished his FR year of college and Salzwedel just finished his JR season of HS and they are both listed at 6'6" 235 lbs. Cockran played HS football at 200-210 lbs.

If his measurements are accurate, I think Botticelli is actually a better comparison even body-wise. Botticelli was 6'5" 250 lbs when he arrived on campus and is now 6'5" 280 lbs (going into his SO season). If this kid could put on 10-12 lbs in a year (not at all unlikely for a 17 year old kid who is lifting weights), he will arrive at school at 6'6" 246 lbs. Considering how Kill seems to like his DE's, at that size, I'd think he'd have to either stay around 250 (if he loses too much athleticism adding more weight) and be a TE or he'd have to continue to put on weight and become a DT.

Again, I don't know anything about this kid. It was more just a comment on how Kill seems to really like to recruit players to grow into positions.

BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

It's about as likely as R.J. - ya know, committing to his home state. Troll.

Anyway welcome Owen! I hope you get many sack many rent a QB's in your years here with the Gophers.

It's about as likely as R.J. - ya know, committing to his home state. Troll.

Anyway welcome Owen! I hope you get many sack many rent a QB's in your years here with the Gophers.

If we offer him at RB, I could see him flipping. Otherwise he is all MSU. And I'm not trolling, it was just a hilarious statement to read, because the Gophers have the same chance of landing Shelton as the Badgers do of landing Su'a Cravens - no chance at all. Trust me, that would be my exact same reaction if someone posted something like that on a UW board too.

The kid runs really well for someone with that kind of height.
He looks like a good prospect, got all the top MAC teams to offer way out front of his senior year. This is the kind of kid we need to land and develop.
Welcome aboard!

This might be a good year for Minnesota to take kids out of Wisconsin since the Badgers only have a few scholarships to give. (11-13??)

I like what I see, what hasn't been mentioned yet, is his instincts for batting down balls, that's hard to coach. I really see him staying at DE but bulking up to 260-270 and playing the strong side.

BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

cool_story_bro.gif

So, you're saying that Scout and Rivals are wrong to have a wisky offer listed?

No.

We offered him as an athlete and he'd start at either WR or safety. He wanted to play RB, and he will have that opportunity at MSU. Sucks that we lost this kid, because he is really good.

Top Bottom