Beau Bofferding

Marshall plays 4A football, so not exactly small town. The southwest conference is not what it used to be and his gaudy stats are attributable to that. Good football player, and an interesting case because he actually has pretty good speed but I don't know if the Gophs are interested. I would compare him to Kyle Minnet from just down the road in Ruthton from a few years back, but with better speed.

Marshall plays 4A football, so not exactly small town.

Not to get bogged down in semantics, but this is Minnesota. If it ain't the metro area, it's a small town for recruiting purposes. I know just where Marshall is, and one thing I know about it is that it's too far from the U of M for most coaching staffs to pay attention. "I can't see his highlight video from here!"

Solid name.

Agreed. I don't know anything about this kid beyond what was written in this thread (and to be honest I've already forgotten much of that) but I think we need to go after him.

Ah yes, the well-known but rarely-spoken-of "U of M bias against Marshall, MN".

Not to get bogged down in semantics, but this is Minnesota. If it ain't the metro area, it's a small town for recruiting purposes. I know just where Marshall is, and one thing I know about it is that it's too far from the U of M for most coaching staffs to pay attention. "I can't see his highlight video from here!"

What? Like Blue Earth? Boutte, LA? Manvel, TX? What? Marshall has a University, and is the world headquarters of Scwans's. What?

Your right. There is not life outside of the MPLS/St. Paul metro area nor is there football played. I think a good coaching staff, like we have, has no problem identifying talent regardless of where it is. Kill is from a small town, I think he is able to find some talent if they are worth it.

Also, metro arrogance is sickening. Please refrain from that.

I live just down the road.

I live just down the road from Marshall and he is a good all around high school athlete but I cant see the Gophers being that interested in him. Marshall is a 4A school playing against many schools half their size, that doesnt make him any less of a player but it does help his stats. We will see what Marshall has when they get into the playoffs against teams their own size they could be running into a current Gopher QB commit in the section playoffs. I would think schools like SDSU, USD, NDSU, and other schools that size will be looking at this kid and the D-II schools will be all over him.

I am not sure I would compare him to Minett at all. Minett went to Class A RTR and was a tough physical runner who lacked great speed. He was a tremendous high school back who had a very good career at SDSU. I know Bofferding has great speed for a high school kid in this area but we will get to see how physical he is or atleast a better taste when Marshall gets into the playoffs. As far as the Gophers recruiting in this area I am sure they would if their was top recruits to look at. For the most part Southwest Minnesota has done really well in State Tournaments but at the A and AA level over the years but you dont see a ton of elite level athletes from this area. ou may see some good ones that go on to play key rolls on teams but they dont get the same competition as you would at the bigger better schools. Not to mention most of the top athletes in this area are playing 2-3 sports and that limits just how great they can become where at bigger schools players are more specialized earlier on in life.

Klug is a great example

Look at Karl Klug from Caledonia, which is a Class 2A school. I don't know how hard Minnesota did in trying to recruit him, but he did end up at Iowa, and now plays and is doing well as a rookie in Tennessee. So the point is, there is a lot of talent and good football players outside the metro that just might fit the style Kill is looking for.

For every Klug, there are 200 other kids from small towns in MN "the Gophers should take a look at" that don't turn out, even at smaller, d2 and d3 schools.

I know nothing about this kid. He may be a really good player, but can everybody calm down as to whether or not the Gophers should be looking at him? Maybe they have already - we don't know.

Your right. There is not life outside of the MPLS/St. Paul metro area nor is there football played. I think a good coaching staff, like we have, has no problem identifying talent regardless of where it is. Kill is from a small town, I think he is able to find some talent if they are worth it.

Also, metro arrogance is sickening. Please refrain from that.

I think you might want re-read what he said. He wasn't saying that there aren't good football players from outside the metro, he is saying that it is sometimes harder for them to get noticed. That makes sense though because as you said, he plays in a pretty easy conference and so a lot of his stats need to be taken with a grain of salt.

That said, I don't think there is a bias in football. Good football players from the metro go unnoticed sometimes and there are plenty of outstate kids who end up with offers (Maxx Williams, Jonah Pirsig, Phil Nelson, Isaac Fruechte).

They will miss some kids, it's inevitable but there is no need for some outstate paranoia.

Did he camp anywhere over the summer? That's usually how some of these small town kids get their names out there.

Did he camp anywhere over the summer? That's usually how some of these small town kids get their names out there.
I don't know about individuals, but a lot of teams in southwest MN go to a camp at SDSU. My high school did and they said there were a lot of teams from southwest part of the state.

I don't have a link or anything to prove my point, but Beau met up with Jerry Kill a few weeks ago. Jerry liked his speed (also runs track in the spring), but told Beau he was just too small for Kill and Co. to offer him a spot. Sounds like Beau is headed out to Air Force to play football, as he would also like to pursue that career path when his football career is over.

Hopefully Marshall can meet up with Mankato West in the section tournament, to see where he stacks up against better athletes. The biggest school Marshall has played this fall was Mankato East, who isnt even on the same planet as West this year.

I don't have a link or anything to prove my point, but Beau met up with Jerry Kill a few weeks ago. Jerry liked his speed (also runs track in the spring), but told Beau he was just too small for Kill and Co. to offer him a spot. Sounds like Beau is headed out to Air Force to play football, as he would also like to pursue that career path when his football career is over.

Hopefully Marshall can meet up with Mankato West in the section tournament, to see where he stacks up against better athletes. The biggest school Marshall has played this fall was Mankato East, who isnt even on the same planet as West this year.

If only he had Marcus Jones size.

There's no "metro arrogance". A lot of players at small schools wouldn't make the team at bigger schools. Sure, there can be real talent at small schools, and it is important to have relationships with HS coaches, so that the Gophers coaches can be tipped off to talent they might otherwise have overlooked.

But you also have players who look a lot better than they really are because of the competition they play against. I have no idea if this particular player is good enough to play in the Big Ten, I'll let the coaches figure that out. I played on a 9-man team in high school, it was a big deal when someone from our conference got a D-II scholarship offer.

Marshall lost to West 39-35 last year in the section championship. Their a good team. As more and more "small town" teams and players go to camps in the summer months more and more are getting noticed. It also helps that there are now a bunch of FCS teams around MN now. More quality camps for these kids to attend.

Marshall lost to West 39-35 last year in the section championship. Their a good team. As more and more "small town" teams and players go to camps in the summer months more and more are getting noticed. It also helps that there are now a bunch of FCS teams around MN now. More quality camps for these kids to attend.
Multiple camps help from a talent development perspective but they need to get into the Gophers camp to be evaluated. That's why Coach Kill spends so much time developing contacts with High School coaches. They have to feel that it's worth their time and effort to get kids into the Gopher camps, 2 to 3 under the radar pickups, could help immensely.

Have seen him play and he is a great player with great speed. However, the teams that he plays in the southwest conference are absolutely garbage. His numbers are still very impressive, but I would guess that he is just too small to play Big Ten football. He is only 5'7.

Only 53 travel and I'd say only 45 on avg. play each week. But yes everyone "makes" the team.

I'm curious what percentage get to play at some point in their time at St. John's? Do they go four years with never seeing the field, or to they get the seniors in for a play or two? There has to be an added expense of letting everyone make the team, but it just might leave you with more overall talent than you would otherwise have. I imagine sometimes you have players who were only on the roster because of the policy of allowing everyone to be on the roster, but turn around and by their senior year are actually contributing.

Top Bottom