Beau Allen a Badger

Kelly actually got some PT his true freshman year before getting hurt and taking a medical redshirt. I think he was dinged up a bit this year as well. Promising looking prospect though, if he stays healthy.

Dehn is an athlete. Hard to tell if either of those will end up being impact guys at Wisconsin. Plenty of time left for them, though.

The suggestion that Minnesota is having some success in recruiting Wisconsin is only partially true. None of Minnesota's commits from inside Wisconsin ever had an offer to stay in-state. Iowa is actually having more success in that they have a verbal from a kid that Wisconsin's coaching staff actually offered.

But I don't think Wisconsin is lighting the world on fire in the Minnesota kids they've recruited under Bielema, or even Alvarez for that matter. I'd call it a wash in on-field production. The numbers of bodies seems to favor Wisconsin as far as stepping across the border, but what does that mean anyway??

I suppose they didn't, but that is a game Bielema is notorious for playing. I have a really hard time imagining that the Badgers wouldn't have been interested in Tom Parrish. The problem is that he committed so early, and it was a strong committment, and Bielema is obsessed with the whole game. That's pure speculation, but it just wouldn't make sense (to me) that Wisconsin wouldn't have been interested in Parrish had he been undecided in September.

As far as the difference between Wisconsin recruiting in MN, the major difference isn't between Bielema and Alvarez, it's between Brewster and Mason. Under Mason, WI was dominating the recruiting battle within the state of MN.
In Mason years, Wisconsin would have probably landed a few of either Hageman, Garin, Moses, Gjere, Edwards. At the very least, these were not guys that typically ended up at MN.

He has zero quickness and athleticism. Definitely a guard on the next level.

I guess we'll see in time. I think UW's dline philosophy is for the DTs to eat blocks and plug gaps, so landing a kid with his size is a plus either way. I don't think he'll need to get after the quarterback too much. But, I haven't seen enough of his play to know if he'll turn out or not.

Recruiting is best judged a few years down the line. We'll see if Allen is a good player or not.

Another one goes to Madison.

I think there are a few that owe you and your credibility an apology. Although it wasn't good news, thanks for posting it here - I think it was so readily questioned because you were literally the 1st one to have even a word of this news up nationally. Thanks for posting it on GH.

As for Beau Allen - I'm not going to say he sucks and we don't need him (just because he didn't commit to the Gophs), I'll say I wish we would have gotten him. 2/5 of our top instate players are not going to be Gophers...and if Seantrel isn't, that will make 3/5. I'm not one of those people that thinks we need every top instate guy...if there's a kid as good in Texas, Iowa, Florida, wherever, the talent is what really matters, not what state their from. However, it is nice to cheer on hometown kids that dream of going to the U, like Gjere.

From all accounts, Beau is a good kid - I think the fact that he wanted to call all of the coaches before the media got hold of his commitment shows a lot of character, and he's a good student too. I wish him the best (except when he plays us), and do wish we could have gotten him. With that being said - onto recruiting the next DT and time to move on...

I suppose they didn't, but that is a game Bielema is notorious for playing. I have a really hard time imagining that the Badgers wouldn't have been interested in Tom Parrish. The problem is that he committed so early, and it was a strong committment, and Bielema is obsessed with the whole game. That's pure speculation, but it just wouldn't make sense (to me) that Wisconsin wouldn't have been interested in Parrish had he been undecided in September.

As far as the difference between Wisconsin recruiting in MN, the major difference isn't between Bielema and Alvarez, it's between Brewster and Mason. Under Mason, WI was dominating the recruiting battle within the state of MN.
In Mason years, Wisconsin would have probably landed a few of either Hageman, Garin, Moses, Gjere, Edwards. At the very least, these were not guys that typically ended up at MN.

You're speculation is as good as any, I think a Badger fans spin would be that they were after a few other QBs they had higher on their board. Lucky for them they landed one that they definitely wanted, who has some very good offers (Iowa, Miami (FL), Pitt, Stanford, and others), making Parish not too big a loss if your theory is correct.

You are right about Mason vs. Brewster instate recruiting. Of those you mentioned Edwards, Gjere, and Hageman had UW offers, and are most likely kids who headed out of state under Mason. MN state recruiting seems to have gotten tougher under Brewster in comparison to Mason.

I agree, like you said, it is pure speculation on my part. I have also heard rumors that the UW staff and Arrowhead HS don't get along well at all. I have no idea where Arrowhead is, it could just be internet nonsense, but if true, that might have played a role in the decision as well.

I agree, like you said, it is pure speculation on my part. I have also heard rumors that the UW staff and Arrowhead HS don't get along well at all. I have no idea where Arrowhead is, it could just be internet nonsense, but if true, that might have played a role in the decision as well.

Arrowhead is one of the perennial powers in WI high school football and is jut outside of Milwaukee. With tha said Tom Parrish did not have a dominating season, he only made honorable mention all Milwaukee metro team with about 10 other metro area QB's.

Who knows if Allen will or will not become a big time players, but losing the top rated in state players has to stop. It's one thing if a kid commits to Ohio State or USC, but losing kids with Gopher offers to schools like Wisconsin and Iowa absolutely must become extremely rare. I give Brewster a lot of credit for improving in this area, but their still is a lot of work to be done. If ends up with only 2 of the top 5 in state kids, that will be a big disappointment.

Tough Loss. He's a good player with upside at DT. Maybe he didn't always dominate in high school, but he's built for his position. I would've loved to see him in Maroon and Gold.

Arrowhead is one of the perennial powers in WI high school football and is jut outside of Milwaukee. With tha said Tom Parrish did not have a dominating season, he only made honorable mention all Milwaukee metro team with about 10 other metro area QB's.

I really don't look much into that stuff at all. Don't get me wrong, I'm not arguing that Parrish is a good QB (I know nothing about him besides what some internet site ranked him), but judging a player based on post season awards is kind of tough, especially for a QB who presumably played in a run orienteted offense.

I think it is an important note that Parrish might be a kid who can't really do a whole lot on the field (and he just has the tools) because he has never proven he can lead a team up and down the field passing the ball consistently, though.

Another thing, this is sort of side question, but a good friend of mine is a huge Badger fan and from Wisconsin, and he said high school teams in Sconny pass the ball a lot less than teams in MN, is that true?

Frustrating. Hurts to loose one to WI. Mostly though this along with Huff's departure underscores the difficulty Brewster has had recruiting quality DT's and RB's. DTs as Brewster has gone on the record to say can be some of the hardest positions to fill at high levels of play. Though I wasn't convinced from seeing Beau play he was necessarily in that group, this combined with the Pahokee kid's jumping off underscore this long term struggle.

Another thing, this is sort of side question, but a good friend of mine is a huge Badger fan and from Wisconsin, and he said high school teams in Sconny pass the ball a lot less than teams in MN, is that true?

oh god yes. We still have plenty of dinosaurs out there, including my alma which was until recently a perennially state contender despite running a flexbone and maybe passing 6 times a game earlier this decade which is way up from last decade.

Granted this assessment is based largely off what I have seen of the local metro schools playing in the last ten years I've been in MN, mostly in the tournament and my experience with WI HS football is mostly now secondhand, but several of my old highschool cronnies are coaching now; some even keeping the option football flame alive.

I totally agree ULFR ~

The fact is that there really aren't that many kids close to 300lbs in the world who are athletic enough to play DT. It was one of the reasons I suggested for the reasoning why Allen had such an impressive offer list but a not so impressive rankings from rivals. I do agree with you that he wasn't incredibly impressive in HS, but the fact remains it is hard to find 300 lbs kids who can play that position. So I am a little bummed to be losing both Allen and the Florida kid today as well.

That said, I don't really understand why we are having such difficulty filling that need (other than it being more of a rarity). DT's have sort of flourished under Brewster a bit. Small and Brown went from non-descript players to really solid Big 10 football players. Furthermore, Kirksey and Edwards both appear to be guys who will be extremely solid Big 10 players. Add that to the fact that Cosgrove rotates quite a bit and we are thin there, I guess I don't see why more DT's wouldn't be interested in Minnesota. The running back thing, well that makes more sense.

oh god yes. We still have plenty of dinosaurs out there, including my alma which was until recently a perennially state contender despite running a flexbone and maybe passing 6 times a game this earlier this decade which is way up from last decade.

Huh, I didn't know that. I wonder why. The only reasoning I can think of is that the good football in Wisconsin is sort of spread out throughout the state more than it is in MN. There are a lot of decent sized towns in Wisconsin (Wassau, Eau Claire, Appelton, Green Bay, etc) and they are probably less likely to run a more pro or college style offense. I don't know.

Of course none of the Minnesota / Wisconsin recruit assessment means a darn thing until we see who makes an impact. The NFL figured out a long time ago that a Heisman winner doesn't equal a sure thing pro player. Until we see what these young men do with their respective opportunities we're left to the usual babble about state borders and such.

Of course none of the Minnesota / Wisconsin recruit assessment means a darn thing until we see who makes an impact. The NFL figured out a long time ago that a Heisman winner doesn't equal a sure thing pro player. Until we see what these young men do with their respective opportunities we're left to the usual babble about state borders and such.

I get your point but that isn't really an apt comparison. The NFL puts an incredible amount of value on the draft (which is more similar to recruiting than the Heisman). It's essentially the same thing, they look at these kids physical tools, makeup, and ability to fit into their system and they try to add players to their rosters.

In my opinion, the heisman trophy is analygous to a Mr. Football award or being All-State (akin to All American). Those things don't mean a thing, however recruiting and the draft do.

In fact, you could argue that the NFL puts too much value on the draft. I remember when the Vikes traded away a 1st for Jared Allen, people thought that was an even trade.

Kids parents both went to Wisconsin? Grew up a fan?

Good luck to him.

If he wants to stay attached to Mommy's teet a little longer, thats his choice. Some people like to experience new things, some people are mommy and daddy's boys...its fairly obvious what we have here. Have fun in Madison, Beau here's to you getting absolutely blown up by Giere in a couple of years...

Gold Vision - Please explain your comment about dumb posts. Are you basing your evaluation of Allen on actually seeing him play or based on his height and weight on his profile page. My comments are based on watching him play. I'm curious why your evaluation is superior to mine.

Who knows if Allen will or will not become a big time players, but losing the top rated in state players has to stop. It's one thing if a kid commits to Ohio State or USC, but losing kids with Gopher offers to schools like Wisconsin and Iowa absolutely must become extremely rare. I give Brewster a lot of credit for improving in this area, but their still is a lot of work to be done. If ends up with only 2 of the top 5 in state kids, that will be a big disappointment.

Losing Beau to Wisconsin was, unfortunately, no surprise. It sucks, but you have to expect that to happen once in a while when your rivals' alumni regularly move in-state for jobs, culture, etc. We should look at the silver lining, and consider ourselves lucky that we live in a state that draws in people like the Allens, and gives us at least a punchers chance at recruiting their kids.

Now if Seantrel goes to Iowa, that's an entirely different story. ND or USC, sure, but there's no excuse for losing him to Iowa.

Frustrating. Hurts to loose one to WI. Mostly though this along with Huff's departure underscores the difficulty Brewster has had recruiting quality DT's and RB's. DTs as Brewster has gone on the record to say can be some of the hardest positions to fill at high levels of play. Though I wasn't convinced from seeing Beau play he was necessarily in that group, this combined with the Pahokee kid's jumping off underscore this long term struggle.

Agree on the RB take, disagree on the DT take ... Edwards and Kirksey are solid ... he has a verbal from the kid from Louisiana ... he can recruit DTs.

Agree on the RB take, disagree on the DT take ... Edwards and Kirksey are solid ... he has a verbal from the kid from Louisiana ... he can recruit DTs.
The guys from BTN gave Brewster a lot of credit for his DL recruits. Dinardo's said dozens of times how hard DTs are to fill and Brewster's done a good job making sure he filled those spots.

If he wants to stay attached to Mommy's teet a little longer, thats his choice. Some people like to experience new things, some people are mommy and daddy's boys...its fairly obvious what we have here. Have fun in Madison, Beau here's to you getting absolutely blown up by Giere in a couple of years...

That is a classy post. I hope you are 12.

Losing Beau to Wisconsin was, unfortunately, no surprise. It sucks, but you have to expect that to happen once in a while when your rivals' alumni regularly move in-state for jobs, culture, etc. We should look at the silver lining, and consider ourselves lucky that we live in a state that draws in people like the Allens, and gives us at least a punchers chance at recruiting their kids.

Now if Seantrel goes to Iowa, that's an entirely different story. ND or USC, sure, but there's no excuse for losing him to Iowa.

So there is no chance that the family is from Minnesota, went to school in Wisconsin and then moved back home? Yeah, nobody does that.

The guys from BTN gave Brewster a lot of credit for his DL recruits. Dinardo's said dozens of times how hard DTs are to fill and Brewster's done a good job making sure he filled those spots.

I think Dinardo does great work on the BTN, but this was frustrating for me. He ALWAYS talked up our D-tackles as some of the best in the league, etc. Now, look, we had okay D-Linemen, but they weren't that great. In conference play, we ranked 7th in the league in rush defense and LAST in sacks. So, our D-line was only good, not great. Again, not meant to rip our guys, because they worked hard, but our D-line was not nearly as good as Dinardo made it out EVERY week. It was like Dinardo grabbed ahold of that idea when he was here for the fall workouts and just kept saying it, no matter what the actual results showed.

Having had both parents as Wisconsin graduates, I don't think anyone in their right mind would conisider this an 'in-state' recruit in the first place. I'll guarantee he got 10 times the exposure at home to the Badgers than he did to the Gophers. Consider this a recruiting anomoly.

That is a classy post. I hope you are 12.

Totally agree GV. Funny how that never came out when Ed Olson committed to us. I believe his parents were UM lifers. Just sour grapes I guess.

I'm not all that disappointed from what I've heard of him in high school, but it always stings to have them head East.

So there is no chance that the family is from Minnesota, went to school in Wisconsin and then moved back home? Yeah, nobody does that.

I had assumed they were wisky natives (I believe he has other uw alums in his family besides the parents). But if they grew up here, that doesn't really change the equation. Madison is a good school. Minnesota is a good place to live. There was nothing insulting in my post, GV, so why don't you find something else to get pissy about? Maybe something on a badger board??

I believe there is also no chance of you staying off the Gopherhole. How bout that.

Top Bottom