Beau Allen a Badger

MNs at WI

I know this is taking the thread off-topic, but I disagree with the earlier sentiment that none of the Minnesotans at Wisconsin in recent years would be helping the Gophers. I think Isaac Anderson and David Gilreath would have been extremely helpful this year.

UW-Madison is still all the rage in the west metro e.g. Motion W stickers on the Chevy Trailblazer. Winning will do that. Badger play mediocre football and kids in other states don't grow up badger fans.

MN are just lucky that kfan doesn't create a badger preview similar to the hour of KFAN radio dedicated to the Packers.

Arrowhead is one of the perennial powers in WI high school football and is jut outside of Milwaukee. With tha said Tom Parrish did not have a dominating season, he only made honorable mention all Milwaukee metro team with about 10 other metro area QB's.

You might want to read this before putting too much stock into that. It appears he rarely played in the second half of games.

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/preps/69724292.html

GV, are the badger fans happy about Allen?

If he wants to stay attached to Mommy's teet a little longer, thats his choice. Some people like to experience new things, some people are mommy and daddy's boys...its fairly obvious what we have here. Have fun in Madison, Beau here's to you getting absolutely blown up by Giere in a couple of years...

Couple of thoughts as a Badger fan and Wisconsin high school coach.

1. This quote is hilarious.

2. I have scouted film of Allen as we shared a common opponent (Wayzata) and Tonka played a rival school. I came away very impressed. Not only does he have the size to start in the Big Ten today, he plays with great lean and pad level. The games I saw he was absolutely dominant. I am very happy that he is a Badger.

3. Suburban Minneapolis high school ball is very impressive. Compared to Wisconsin ball your game is much more advanced. There are few teams that pass the ball effectively here. Look at the D1 state champs for the past 5 years. Arrowhead being one of those. That being said, Parish is a talented player but I will be shocked if he ends up as your starting qb in his career. He is very comparable to our former starting qb Tyler Donovan. Donovan was a solid player but you will land a better passer than Parish. I do feel that Parish is a good enough athlete to play other positions though. Best of luck to him.

4. Good luck in the bowl game. Represent the BT.

5. You don't charter a helicopter to see a kid who you don't desperately want.

The bottom line for me is that I just don't like UW (I won't say "hate", but my dislike for UW (and Iowa) is as close as I can get to it). Am I disappointed that Beau Allen is going to UW? Yes. I don't know anything about him other than what schools apparently offered him. I've never met him, and I've never seen him play (other than the ESPN video). I'm not here to say "he sucks", or "he's not as good as some people think", or that "it's not a big loss". I also can't say he's going to be awesome, a future all-big ten player, and/or a pro prospect.

Every year I have two goals for Gopher football - 1. beat Wisconsin, and 1A. beat Iowa. Wisconsin was a complete disgrace to college football during the 80's and early 90's, and that was reflected in their attendance (see Northwestern now and that's what it was like in Camp Randall back in the 80's). Wisconsin is an example to me of how pathetic a team and fan base can be, and how big of a transformation can happen. As bad as UW was in the 80s, they are now at the very least somewhat competitive every year, and oftentimes over the course of a season eventually wind up with a mathematical shot of winning a conf. title. Seemingly every year(!), which is again, knowing what it was like there 20+ years ago, truly amazing to me.

As bad of a state as UW football was in 20 years ago (for much of the 80s), we are not that bad, and I don't think that far off from being as good, as consistent, and just a better overall program than UW. But we're not there yet.

However, when that breakthrough happens and we go to the Rose Bowal (next year?(I know; aggressive) Two years from now? Five years from now?), none of us will care if the players, coaches, and staff are originally from MN, New Jersey, Wisconsin, Texas, Montana, wherever - we will all just be eternally thankful to each of those individuals for having made the committment to represent our school and our state.

And for those that will have chosen another school over the U of M, that's okay too - we'll let them think about the "what ifs" while we just enjoy the moment.

Hopefully that moment comes sooner rather than later.

GV, are the badger fans happy about Allen?

Absolutely. The Badgers needed a couple of defensive tackles in the class. Allen has been the top target for the past year. Badgers have missed on some defensive tackles over the past couple of years, so it was nice they got Allen.

Who knows what kind of player he will be, but he has the measureables to be a good one and there is room on the depth chart to come in and contribute early. As usual, it will come down to how hard he works and how soon he can gets comfortable with the college game.

Every year I have two goals for Gopher football - 1. beat Wisconsin, and 1A. beat Iowa. Wisconsin was a complete disgrace to college football during the 80's and early 90's, and that was reflected in their attendance (see Northwestern now and that's what it was like in Camp Randall back in the 80's). Wisconsin is an example to me of how pathetic a team and fan base can be, and how big of a transformation can happen. As bad as UW was in the 80s, they are now at the very least somewhat competitive every year, and oftentimes over the course of a season eventually wind up with a mathematical shot of winning a conf. title. Seemingly every year(!), which is again, knowing what it was like there 20+ years ago, truly amazing to me.

As bad of a state as UW football was in 20 years ago (for much of the 80s), we are not that bad, and I don't think that far off from being as good, as consistent, and just a better overall program than UW. But we're not there yet.

However, when that breakthrough happens and we go to the Rose Bowal (next year?(I know; aggressive) Two years from now? Five years from now?)

Once again, I need to point out that Wisconsin football was NOT a disgrace "in the 1980s," nor was attendance down, although both phrases are true for the three years under Don Morton. Under Coach Dave McClain (you know, the guy the Big 10 Coach of the Year Award is named after) from 1978 - 1985, the team was 46-42-3. While this is certainly not spectacular, it is similarly not disgraceful. The Badgers went to three bowl games under McClain and had back-to-back 7 win seasons in 1981-1982. Attendance was good throughout McClain's tenure (I have linked the actual stats several times) and only fell off with Morton.

However, if thinking Wisconsin was a football wasteland makes you feel better about your own program, don't let the facts stand in your way.

Once again, I need to point out that Wisconsin football was NOT a disgrace "in the 1980s," nor was attendance down, although both phrases are true for the three years under Don Morton. Under Coach Dave McClain (you know, the guy the Big 10 Coach of the Year Award is named after) from 1978 - 1985, the team was 46-42-3. While this is certainly not spectacular, it is similarly not disgraceful. The Badgers went to three bowl games under McClain and had back-to-back 7 win seasons in 1981-1982. Attendance was good throughout McClain's tenure (I have linked the actual stats several times) and only fell off with Morton.

However, if thinking Wisconsin was a football wasteland makes you feel better about your own program, don't let the facts stand in your way.

Eight straight losing seasons (85-92) and a five year stretch going 10-45 spanning three coaches (86-90). I guess the proper description should have been a disgrace in the late-80s rather than the mid-80s.

Thank you for posting. I don't recall 1978-1982 as I was 1-5 years old at the time, but I should have clarified - 86-91/92 would be what I am referring to. Yes, I would be curious to see what those attendance figures are during this timeframe because I wasn't able to find them and maybe I am suffering from early on-set alzheimers.

And yes, thinking back to the 0-10 1990 Alvarez squad and knowing that he later took UW to three Rose Bowls does make me feel better about my program, and should make you feel better about yours as well - I'm telling you, you knobs are where we are trying to get to(!) - consistently competitive in the upper tier of the conference on an annual, and ongoing basis.

As a Badger fan on a Gopher fan web site, it may be difficult for you to recognize a compliment as they are few and far between I am sure(;), but this was one (or meant to be).

And no, I didn't know the Big Ten Coach of the Year award was named after Dave McClain, but after reading your post I was curious as to why he would have received such an honor for a so-so 46-42 record. It seems to be more a testimony to the quality of person he was and the fact that his life ended tragically early. I appreciate the info.

Eight straight losing seasons (85-92) and a five year stretch going 10-45 spanning three coaches (86-90). I guess the proper description should have been a disgrace in the late-80s rather than the mid-80s.

And, as any and all Badger fans will admit, the football program was a disgrace under Morton 1987-1989, going 6-27. In 1986, an interim head coach (Jim Hilles) took over following McClain's sudden death and in 1990 Barry took over and team went 1-10. There was no disgrace under Hilles or Alvarez, but yeah - we were certainly a disgrace for three years with Morton.

As an aside, it took my brother-in-law at least 10 years before he could say Don Morton's name without an expletive preceding it.

2. I have scouted film of Allen as we shared a common opponent (Wayzata) and Tonka played a rival school. I came away very impressed. Not only does he have the size to start in the Big Ten today, he plays with great lean and pad level. The games I saw he was absolutely dominant. I am very happy that he is a Badger.

3. Suburban Minneapolis high school ball is very impressive. Compared to Wisconsin ball your game is much more advanced. There are few teams that pass the ball effectively here. Look at the D1 state champs for the past 5 years. Arrowhead being one of those. That being said, Parish is a talented player but I will be shocked if he ends up as your starting qb in his career. He is very comparable to our former starting qb Tyler Donovan. Donovan was a solid player but you will land a better passer than Parish. I do feel that Parish is a good enough athlete to play other positions though. Best of luck to him.

That's some good insight.

Perhaps I was wrong about Beau. What do the badgers have going on at DT these days?

Anyone here from the Tricities in NC? I have to imagine those UNC and Dukes fans must always be going at it.

His Parents graduated from Madison and I'm sure he grew up following them, just like any kid follows their parents teams. Not a big surprise. And not a big negative on Brewster, hard to overcome family ties

Clint was gonna be a backup....nothing to say about Nolan, though...

I had assumed they were wisky natives (I believe he has other uw alums in his family besides the parents). But if they grew up here, that doesn't really change the equation. Madison is a good school. Minnesota is a good place to live. There was nothing insulting in my post, GV, so why don't you find something else to get pissy about? Maybe something on a badger board??

Well, as a native Minnesotan, it was not insulting to me and honestly I have no idea where the Allen family is from originally. But, I do find it funny that there is some type of perception on this board that so many graduates of UW come to Minnesota because it is such a better place to live when it is far more likely that they are just returning home after going to school.

I find the notion that Minnesota is such a better place to live then Wisconsin or that Wisconsin is such a better place to live then Minnesota very silly. Both have their pros and cons and both are very similar. I hear the same garbage from Wisconsin fans about Minnesota (the state, not the school) so I guess it should not be surprising.

Ummmm.... huh?

Clint and Nolan sure overcame their family ties.

For the life of me I can't understand what this could mean...?

Clint and Nolan did not spend one second of their childhood as Gopher fans. Brewster was supposed to land Nolan? Obviously with his lack of success since leaving UM (isn't he a backup or third stringer somehwere?), Clint was apparently not cut out to play major D1 ball.

This was a nice recruiting win for Wisky. They should be ecstatic because it sounds like Allen will be a good one. I wish the Gophers could have landed him, no doubt about it.

It's certainly not a win that I would call a massive win for BB over Brewster, however. The point has been belabored enough, the young man's parents raised him bleeding Badger red. It's not a recruit that I would have expected Brewster to land, particularly in his 3rd full recruiting season in Minnesota, following a couple of seasons around the .500 mark.

Congrats to Wisky fans for landing Allen, I wish him all the best...

This was a nice recruiting win for Wisky. They should be ecstatic because it sounds like Allen will be a good one. I wish the Gophers could have landed him, no doubt about it.

It's certainly not a win that I would call a massive win for BB over Brewster, however. The point has been belabored enough, the young man's parents raised him bleeding Badger red. It's not a recruit that I would have expected Brewster to land, particularly in his 3rd full recruiting season in Minnesota, following a couple of seasons around the .500 mark.

Congrats to Wisky fans for landing Allen, I wish him all the best...

I agree with this post 100%. I would not be all over Brewster for this one. The likelihood of Allen going to Minnesota was very slim, in my opinion.

That's some good insight.

Perhaps I was wrong about Beau. What do the badgers have going on at DT these days?

Not much, which is why Allen was maybe a little more important for UW than what the opinion may be of him. Bielema has been skewered on a few message boards for either not putting enough emphasis on DT recruiting, or just not winning DT recruiting battles recently. Like I said earlier, he may not be a can't miss player, but was a player of major need for UW.

3 of the 4 DTs in the two-deep this season are seniors. Backup Pat Butrym is really the only DT UW returns with any game experience. It's going to be an inexperienced group and not a deep one. Bielema gets by with over stuffing DEs to play DT, but most fans are hoping that he will keep JJ Watt on the outside and some young DTs will step up. Hell, though its pretty much unheard of, if Allen is the real deal and has the strength, he could possibly see time next year.

I've enjoyed the discussion in this thread, side for the one teet-sucking post. Which I also thought was hilarious- the kid is a mommy's boy who's too scared to leave his family so he goes 4 hours away for college in comparison to staying home and being 15 minutes away. Thats some crazy logic.

This is a great post.

The whole momma's boy quote was laughable. The kid was raised on the Badgers, what is wrong with being a fan of that team and deciding to play there. It sounds like sort of a dream come true for the kid. I can gurantee you that no one would be ripping Seantrel Henderson if he said "I grew up a Gopher fan, always dreamed of being a Gopher, and I am staying to help the program".

As far as your point #2, I know I didn't watch Allen as closely as you did, so take this with a grain of salt. My issues with Allen are similar to the things that you found so impressive. He has Big 10 size, right now, and he isn't playing against many kids who are physically ready for the Big 10. The game I saw, against Eden Praire, he was a non-issue. Yeah, he was being doubled a lot and Eden Praire is good, but they were killing Tonka right up the the gut. A few weeks later, I saw those same Olineman who were pushing Allen around, getting driven back and bunched up against a Sophmore DT from Cretin. I don't know, I think Allen will be a decent player (seems like a great kid and he is smart), but I just never saw anything special about him. He looked good against guys that he was obviously stronger than, I am curious how he will do when that advantage is equalized.

But yeah, I think Brewster wanted him badly, and I really don't think it was any sort of "we cooled on him" reasoning that he ended up in Madison. We are thin at DT, and he is a good, local recruit.

This is a great post.

But yeah, I think Brewster wanted him badly, and I really don't think it was any sort of "we cooled on him" reasoning that he ended up in Madison. We are thin at DT, and he is a good, local recruit.

I've cooled on this thread.

He will come home after next year. He will realize that Minnesota was the better choice and he will transfer after next year. He seems like a smart kid but I don't feel that bad because he was never really from Minnesota. Wisconisn is a great school and a great program and I hate losing good players to them but one way or another he will be back. His NFL career is a long shot at best and knowing that all the Wisconinites have to come to Minnesota to find a good job.... he should think about all of those boosters who will remember that he turned his back on this state. All of you Badger fans know it is true that there are a lot more people from Wisconsin working in Minnesota than vice versa. I love this state and Gopher football but in the end I wish the best for this kid and hopefully he does well but just not against the Gophers and maybe in two years when he sees the Gophers running around the "The Bank with the AXE he will know he made a mistake .

He will come home after next year. He will realize that Minnesota was the better choice and he will transfer after next year. He seems like a smart kid but I don't feel that bad because he was never really from Minnesota. Wisconisn is a great school and a great program and I hate losing good players to them but one way or another he will be back. His NFL career is a long shot at best and knowing that all the Wisconinites have to come to Minnesota to find a good job.... he should think about all of those boosters who will remember that he turned his back on this state. All of you Badger fans know it is true that there are a lot more people from Wisconsin working in Minnesota than vice versa. I love this state and Gopher football but in the end I wish the best for this kid and hopefully he does well but just not against the Gophers and maybe in two years when he sees the Gophers running around the "The Bank with the AXE he will know he made a mistake .

Or perhaps he wants to go elsewhere, maybe even become CEO of a top S & P Firm. Not my cup of tea, but why should a young kid not look to the place that best fits his (current) career aspirations. Like the rest of us, he will probably change his mind 1-3 times during undergraduate school, which is why a large university like those of the Big 10 is good for a kid.

Top Bottom