Be honest!!!

It’s a state.
giphy.webp

Bielema is a darn good football coach. Would he ever coach at Minnesota, I doubt it. Only place he is leaving ILL for I think is to coach in the Pros or Iowa.

Bielema recruits at about the same ranking as PJ. He has better game prep and in game coaching. I like PJ, but it is frustrating to see him regularly outcoached in games in which nominal talent is essentially equal. Since Ciarocca left our offense doesn’t seem to put defenses in stressful decision situations.
He gets out-coached, because he's not a coach. He's the CEO.

Which can work when you have competent managers to run the show.

When you hire interns to start running the show, don't let them make any decisions, and only have a one trick approach, generally you fail to succeed.

Today yes, 4-0 versus 2-2. Easy decision. Things could easily change though.

Bret owns PJ just like Kirk does.

Bielema at Illinois: 22-19, 13-15 in the B1G

Fleck at Minnesota: 52-36, 29-33 in the B1G.

I hope that clears things up for the OP. Can we expect any more questions from the guy with 113 total posts? We're here to help, you know.

If they recruit at the same level but Bielema is better at prep and in game coaching, you'd think he'd have seen better results in recent years than Fleck's teams.

Yes, you would think so. But then, some people tend to react rather than analyze. How many people who answered the question did so based on a pre-conceived notion, rather than simply doing a Google search and comparing coaching records?

No, not at all. For some, the distant, misty past can be a source of joyful nostalgia. How far back do you want to go in your trip down memory lane?

OK, reframing the question a little

1. Is there any coach in America you’d take over Philip John
2. For Bert, setting aside his irritating persona, his bobber physique, his tenure and behavior at Wisconsin, his Iowa heritage has he had a below average career, overall, as a coach.

I just need to know where you’re coming from.

2. For Bert, setting aside his irritating persona, his bobber physique, his tenure and behavior at Wisconsin, his Iowa heritage has he had a below average career, overall, as a coach.

Outside of his time at Wisconsin he's been a worse coach than PJ. Horrible at Arkansas and about the same at Illinois as PJ at Minnesota.
So overall, when not propped up by Barry Alvarez and the Wisconsin system at the time, he's been a worse coach than PJ.

No, not at all. For some, the distant, misty past can be a source of joyful nostalgia. How far back do you want to go in your trip down memory lane?
How is it possible to analyze anything without looking at the numbers (ie the distant, misty past)?

Can we look at these Facts in this ridiculous conversation?

Illinois 3 years B1G conference games prior to Bret "Summer's Eve" Bielema: 8-18 (.308)
Illinois first 3 years B1G games under Bret "Summer's Eve" Bielema: 12-15 (.444)

+ 4 wins / +.136
With one more opportunity

Minnesota 3 years B1G conference games prior to Fleck: 12-13 (.480)
Minnesota first 3 years B1G games under Fleck: 12-15 (.444)

+0 wins / -.036

With three more opportunities

And to answer the question that started this thread:

No, I do not want Summer's Eve as our coach.

To paraphrase Meatloaf: I would do anything for a competent coach to take the next step, but I won't do that.

I've said, many times, that Bielema can flat-out coach.

I happen to think Fleck is a pretty good coach as well. I think that's the sticking point here.

If you look at their career coaching records I don't see Bielema as clearly superior. Bielema failed at Arkansas. In many ways I think he was the beneficiary of Alvarez' impressive legacy at Wisconsin. He's been good but certainly not great at Illinois.

Last edited:

Top Bottom