Baylor Schieierman enters the transfer portal

Comment taken from SDSU Far Forums

According to an article recently posted in The Athletic, Baylor is represented by the same agent (Austin Walton) as the above player -- Nijel Pack.
The article (written by Kyle Tucker who covers UK basketball) mostly discusses a potential connection with Baylor and Kentucky because the agent is a huge fan. Here are some excerpts

“That moved real quick,” agent Austin Walton said. “We have a high level of interest and I think the interest is mutual. The exposure of Kentucky basketball and the tradition there is something that appeals to Baylor. Their history of development and draft picks is something that’s very enticing for Baylor. It’s a lot of what we’re looking for.”

Duke, Kansas, Gonzaga, Arizona, UCLA, Florida, Baylor, Texas, Memphis, Alabama, Louisville and Michigan State have shown serious interest, Walton said. “It’s everyone. Everyone wants this kid.”

“This is going to move fast,” Walton said. More than 30 schools reached out in the first 18 hours, but Scheierman plans to cut his list to 10 or fewer by Wednesday. It is likely Kentucky will make that cut.

“He wants to play for a winner. He wants the big stage. He wants the exposure,” Walton said. “He wants someone who is going to coach him hard and develop him to become an NBA player, whether that’s this year or next year. He wants to play with other really good players, because that unlocks him. He wants to showcase his versatility, show exactly who he is and a place that is going to allow him to be Baylor.”

"... at the end of the day, it has to be the right fit for him. He needs to know how you’re going to use him, how serious you are about him, what you’re going to do when he gets there, how you’re going to develop him."

Walton also represents Nijel Pack, another elite transfer from Kansas State who picked Miami and signed a two-year, $800,000 name, image and likeness deal in the process. Kentucky should be an enticing option for Scheierman from an NIL perspective as one of college basketball’s leaders in that space. Both Washington and Sharpe earned around a half-million dollars in just a few months at UK, and Tshiebwe, after navigating the challenges of an international student visa, is expected to rake in seven figures. Even so, the Cats will have stiff competition to land Scheierman.

since when can college players have agents? I must have totally missed that becoming legal.
When they could sign NIL deals. Technically, I believe their agents can only represent them in negotiating things with NIL. That, in theory, is a good idea. I think a lot of young people could get taken advantage of during these kinds of negotiations if they weren't allowed to have representation, but obviously it opens up a scary door.

Comment taken from SDSU Far Forums

According to an article recently posted in The Athletic, Baylor is represented by the same agent (Austin Walton) as the above player -- Nijel Pack.
The article (written by Kyle Tucker who covers UK basketball) mostly discusses a potential connection with Baylor and Kentucky because the agent is a huge fan. Here are some excerpts

“That moved real quick,” agent Austin Walton said. “We have a high level of interest and I think the interest is mutual. The exposure of Kentucky basketball and the tradition there is something that appeals to Baylor. Their history of development and draft picks is something that’s very enticing for Baylor. It’s a lot of what we’re looking for.”

Duke, Kansas, Gonzaga, Arizona, UCLA, Florida, Baylor, Texas, Memphis, Alabama, Louisville and Michigan State have shown serious interest, Walton said. “It’s everyone. Everyone wants this kid.”

“This is going to move fast,” Walton said. More than 30 schools reached out in the first 18 hours, but Scheierman plans to cut his list to 10 or fewer by Wednesday. It is likely Kentucky will make that cut.

“He wants to play for a winner. He wants the big stage. He wants the exposure,” Walton said. “He wants someone who is going to coach him hard and develop him to become an NBA player, whether that’s this year or next year. He wants to play with other really good players, because that unlocks him. He wants to showcase his versatility, show exactly who he is and a place that is going to allow him to be Baylor.”

"... at the end of the day, it has to be the right fit for him. He needs to know how you’re going to use him, how serious you are about him, what you’re going to do when he gets there, how you’re going to develop him."

Walton also represents Nijel Pack, another elite transfer from Kansas State who picked Miami and signed a two-year, $800,000 name, image and likeness deal in the process. Kentucky should be an enticing option for Scheierman from an NIL perspective as one of college basketball’s leaders in that space. Both Washington and Sharpe earned around a half-million dollars in just a few months at UK, and Tshiebwe, after navigating the challenges of an international student visa, is expected to rake in seven figures. Even so, the Cats will have stiff competition to land Scheierman.

Well that was a fun idea while it lasted.

Baylor is a very good college player, but unless that coach is going to improve his foot speed and athleticism, I think he's overrating his NBA potential. He's a taller, but less athletic version of Nate Wolters.

When they could sign NIL deals. Technically, I believe their agents can only represent them in negotiating things with NIL. That, in theory, is a good idea. I think a lot of young people could get taken advantage of during these kinds of negotiations if they weren't allowed to have representation, but obviously it opens up a scary door.
The door is open and it turns out to be a trap door.

Well that was a fun idea while it lasted.

Baylor is a very good college player, but unless that coach is going to improve his foot speed and athleticism, I think he's overrating his NBA potential. He's a taller, but less athletic version of Nate Wolters.
His shooting is a bit better, but that shot will be a lot harder to get off in the nba. Nba player comp? I'm not sure but he passes and handles the ball like Josh Giddey.

Some of these schools he may find himself a role player or with less minutes . I’m guessing he goes where he gets the most money. Can’t blame him. But he might find it’s easier being a big fish in a small pond than being surrounded with McDonald’s all Americans. Wow 15 to 20 percent for agents seems a bit much.

Baylor is a tremendous offensive talent, he will have his pick of schools, but even if he was interested in coming here, defensively, I don't know if we could send him out there with Battle and Garcia and not get torched on the defensive side we would almost have to play Zone the whole game to make it work.

Baylor is a tremendous offensive talent, he will have his pick of schools, but even if he was interested in coming here, defensively, I don't know if we could send him out there with Battle and Garcia and not get torched on the defensive side we would almost have to play Zone the whole game to make it work.
go with the Iowa way....just try and outscore the other team

Why aren't the Gophers on this list? Grrrrrrrrrr
Why should/would they be on the list for a kid that has absolutely no interest in doing anything other than profiting off of his name? What a waste of time.

Has anyone here actually seen him play more than 1 game? He is good, but not that good...

Why should/would they be on the list for a kid that has absolutely no interest in doing anything other than profiting off of his name? What a waste of time.

Has anyone here actually seen him play more than 1 game? He is good, but not that good...
Will admit to not having seen him play but to get that kind of interest he is clearly very good and someone that teams think would be an impact player.

go with the Iowa way....just try and outscore the other team
or yah know....just get talented kids and coach them up to help with things they could use improvement on. the "well hes really good but we could do better" is my favorite. We just went 4-16 in conference with likely the least talented roster 3 through 13 we maybe have ever had. And the reply is "well hes good on offense but he isnt kawhi leonard so lets pass" is quite the take. there are what 350 D1 mens basketball teams, I would guess 320 of them would be elated to have Baylor/Dawson/Jamison as their 2-3-4

Saw him 3 times on Tv and once in person real good player real unselfish… There are some moves offensively that he gets away with in the Summit that will be interesting to see if they translate to a power 5 conference.. he will be guarded by bigger stronger players… he likes to get to the paint and do a little Dirk one foot step back… he can score, rebound and pass. Great vision.

I watch quite a bit of SDSU basketball and he's good, can definitely start and play in the big conferences.

But I never thought he was NIL bidding war from the blue bloods good. It'll be interesting to see where he ends up and if these top schools are actually offering him big deals, or just reaching out for now.

I originally thought he would be attainable for the Gophers, and I'd love to have him here. But those chances appear to be virtually 0 now.

This isn't surprising at all. The deals that rookies can make with their salary are cookie cutter. The only reason to really have an agent is an extra set of eyes to verify (there is virtually zero negotiation).

The NIL world is the wild west, I'm sure there is a ton of negotiation and drastic variance between what one athlete makes and what another similarly situated athlete makes. Many of these athletes probably only had a couple summer jobs growing up and now they are negotiating and bargaining 6 or 7 figure contracts. If the agents are improving the deals by 15-20%, it's worth it.

Is Kentucky already out of the running since they landed Antonio Reeves?

Top Bottom