Bateman opting out of 2020 Football Season

As much as this sucks the one major positive is that we know Rashod will be a huge cheerleader for and promotor of the Gopher program. So if he goes out and dominates in the NFL the way we all expect him to, it will only mean great things for our program from a publicity stand point.

As with Winfield, feels like we got cheated some on what cold have been all time great college careers but both kids are easy to root for and will hopefully go on to bigger and better things at the next level.

I wouldn't call the decision cowardly, but how is that worthy of a ban? There have been plenty of derogatory statements on this board directed to the likes of Joey King, Jerry Kill, Tracey Claeys, Mitch Leidner, Michael Hurt, and on and on that didn't result in bannings.

Gopherhole staff seems pretty patient with people (look how long Veritas was allowed to pollute the board) so my guess is MJ's comment was the one that finally tipped it over the edge in terms of his status here. Doubt that one comment was the sole reason he was banned.

Maybe somebody can tell me what advantage Rashad gains by making this announcement?
He could wait and see what the situation is first unless he is trying to be part of a movement to
get the season postponed.
I'm not optimistic there will be a fall college football season. As I said a month ago, I believe it'll be moved to the spring.
Each player can make their own decision. I have no problem whatever anyone decides to do.
I just don't see how it helps him to make the announcement now, either with his Gopher teammates or future NFL employers. Opting out of spring football I can see for him but that announcement could be months away.
Best of luck to him.
I think coaches are going to lose about 10 years of their life. There are just so many things right now that you just can't plan for. I was just worried whether there would be a season. Wasn't thinking guys wouldn't want to play.
Rashad making this announcement right now gains the advantage of being able to sign with an agent and start to receive financial compensation from that agent in the form of benefits, training, travel costs, and potentially forwarded cash based on future returns for that agency.

Which is why you’re more likely to see sure thing NFL guys opt out than borderline guys and non nfl guys.

Rashad making this announcement right now gains the advantage of being able to sign with an agent and start to receive financial compensation from that agent in the form of benefits, training, travel costs, and potentially forwarded cash based on future returns for that agency.

Which is why you’re more likely to see sure thing NFL guys opt out than borderline guys and non nfl guys.

Yep, like I said, I would do it too. I’m sure he has mixed feelings about it, but at the end of the day, it’s a no brainer.

Yep, like I said, I would do it too. I’m sure he has mixed feelings about it, but at the end of the day, it’s a no brainer.
I think the program is playing it correctly as well. Would rather have him back obviously but this is a great moment of publicity for the U at a time when some college programs look bad I think the athletics department and football program are looking like who you’d want to play for.

don’t know how Va Tech handled it, but the AD even making a statement is really well done

DD: CAB:
Minnesota also returns:

It's a loss, but so far Minnesota still has two quality B1G receivers, a great 'athlete' in Seth Green, their starting QB, their starting RB, and their entire offensive line from last year.

We're still looking at a top 20 offense, might not be a top 10 offense out of the gate anymore, but it's football, things like this happen.

DD: CAB:
Minnesota also returns:

It's a loss, but so far Minnesota still has two quality B1G receivers, a great 'athlete' in Seth Green, their starting QB, their starting RB, and their entire offensive line from last year.

We're still looking at a top 20 offense, might not be a top 10 offense out of the gate anymore, but it's football, things like this happen.
For sure we still have talent, but RB13 was the only 1st round talent we had on this team. Those talents aren't replaced by a committee or others "stepping up". This one hurts. A lot.

Gopherhole staff seems pretty patient with people (look how long Veritas was allowed to pollute the board) so my guess is MJ's comment was the one that finally tipped it over the edge in terms of his status here. Doubt that one comment was the sole reason he was banned.
That's the only explanation I can come up with. I remember he got banned for a short period not long ago for using 4-letter words directed at others while he was defending someone's right to praise Hitler - which, btw, was more ban-able than calling RB13 a name, IMO. It was a dumb post, but hardly the first on this board.

For sure we still have talent, but RB13 was the only 1st round talent we had on this team. Those talents aren't replaced by a committee or others "stepping up". This one hurts. A lot.
Tanner's shoes got bigger to fill today. For that matter, the same for the entire offense.

We've got just the Coach to address this situation.

Still an opportunity for progress.

How can your initial response to be to call a kid who gave the U so much a "coward" and a "piece of sh*t"??? Get some perspective, man.

Sure, we are all bummed we don't get to see him play for us again, but there isn't one person in here who - if they stood to make many millions as a 21-year-old - wouldn't take the opportunity to go prepare ourself with elite training to maximize our potential. Factor in all the COVID uncertainty and it makes complete sense.

But anyone who is attacking a kid for selfish fan reasons because he makes a decision to solidify his family's future has lost the freaking plot.
Let me clarify, to put some ice on your hot angry face.. my initial response was anger, perhaps not on the level of calling a coward, which he's not. He would've been a coward had he took that late UGA offer. He's loyal and an amazing kid and that's why I was initially upset that he would abandon things, now. Just doesn't seem like his persona...but at the end of the day, you have to put self and mostly family first. With so many unknowns about this season, and the long term health effects with covid, he's probably doing the right thing. But in the larger scale, his NFL draft stock and his overall NFL future would've been brighter with one more year with PJ. It is what it is.
Would love to see him swap Maroon and Gold for Purple and Gold.

He also reduces his risk of career ending injury, including COVID.

I wouldn't call the decision cowardly, but how is that worthy of a ban? There have been plenty of derogatory statements on this board directed to the likes of Joey King, Jerry Kill, Tracey Claeys, Mitch Leidner, Michael Hurt, and on and on that didn't result in bannings.
Comments on Amir Coffey come to mind... Another situation where IMO it was great to have him leave. The more players in the pros and the sooner it happens the better for the Gophers. Take that roster spot in the NBA/NFL/NHL/MLB and open up another scholly spot for a new recruit that will follow that same path to the pros. This is part of the formula for success, players getting to the pros.

While it's a Debbie Downer not to see him don Maroon and Gold one more season, I am happy for him.

PJ Fleck and company do right by the players in encouraging and supporting their dreams.

This will get a lot of notice by recruits and their families.

Look on this as dangerous opportunity for others to step up and be the next star.

Man, I have to admit that the selfish part of me want him back in uniform.

Best of luck Rashod Bateman! Go Gophers!

Last edited:

Good decision, Rashod. You've made your contributions to the Maroon and Gold...now go light up the NFL in 2021.

Comments on Amir Coffey come to mind... Another situation where IMO it was great to have him leave. The more players in the pros and the sooner it happens the better for the Gophers. Take that roster spot in the NBA/NFL/NHL/MLB and open up another scholly spot for a new recruit that will follow that same path to the pros. This is part of the formula for success, players getting to the pros.

Sorry but it was absolutely was not great to have him leave. We were a projected top 25 team with him but instead missed the tourney and nearly got the coach fired all so he could play 5 minutes a game in the NBA. The benefits certainly do not outlay the cost in that situation. And the odds are the new scholarship player will be significantly worse and not NFL/NBA worthy. In the case of Amir, pretty sure we gave it to Rudrud.

Having players play in the pros is nice but having pro-worthy players stay and help win more games helps the program way more.

I saw Rashod retweeted that PAC-12 player’s tweet yesterday or Sunday about how college football is treating them like business and not human beings so that’s why PAC-12 players wants their safety demands met. I bet that has gotten into Rashod’s head a little also.

Rashod has zero commitment to stay in MN, he saw TJ got drafted and he believes he’s as good if not better than TJ so he wants to be there (NFL) also. Why risk for playing for us during COVID years....don’t blame him at all.

next man up!

hopefully TM will throw some great easy balls for our noobie WR clan.

I still believe we’ll be competitive if there’s a season this year but TM-RB connections will be missed. Shoot, theres goes that double teaming RB leaving another receiver open dream! 🤦🏻‍♂️

At the end of the day, he made an educated business decision. This eliminates any uncertainty surrounding the scheduling of games in the next several months, allows him to get adequate representation for next year, and most importantly, to start preparing for the combine activities and the draft. This has almost zilch to do with the virus. He made the best business decision available with the information he had at this time.

Would have LOVED to see him play another season but a season-ending or career-ending injury during whatever season there might be isn't worth it. His stock was unlikely to be much higher than it is right now. He's in great position for the draft next spring.

Thank you, Mr. Bateman!! Best of luck!!!

At the end of the day, he made an educated business decision. This eliminates any uncertainty surrounding the scheduling of games in the next several months, allows him to get adequate representation for next year, and most importantly, to start preparing for the combine activities and the draft. This has almost zilch to do with the virus. He made the best business decision available with the information he had at this time.

Would have LOVED to see him play another season but a season-ending or career-ending injury during whatever season there might be isn't worth it. His stock was unlikely to be much higher than it is right now. He's in great position for the draft next spring.

Thank you, Mr. Bateman!! Best of luck!!!

He would not have left if there was not a Covid outbreak. But I agree, its a good business decision. Too much risk of Covid damage and/or on-the-field injury to justify a return.

I saw Rashod retweeted that PAC-12 player’s tweet yesterday or Sunday about how college football is treating them like business and not human beings so that’s why PAC-12 players wants their safety demands met. I bet that has gotten into Rashod’s head a little also.

One thing that I like about Fleck is that he knows this is a business, and he acts like it. Threw his support behind Rashod as soon as the announcement came. Of all people, Fleck would benefit most from having him around for another season, but players aren't going to play for Minnesota unless Minnesota is putting players into the NFL. The short-term gain from keeping Bateman around for another season isn't worth the long-term reputation as a dead-end school.

Something tells me that by the time this season is played (the spring), projected draft picks opting out will be rather common.

This sucks, but Rashod rowed the boat proudly.

Sorry but it was absolutely was not great to have him leave. We were a projected top 25 team with him but instead missed the tourney and nearly got the coach fired all so he could play 5 minutes a game in the NBA. The benefits certainly do not outlay the cost in that situation. And the odds are the new scholarship player will be significantly worse and not NFL/NBA worthy. In the case of Amir, pretty sure we gave it to Rudrud.

Having players play in the pros is nice but having pro-worthy players stay and help win more games helps the program way more.

Every team missed the NCAA Tourney in what would have been Amir's senior season.

Except that Rashod is the only one who has done it.

It wasn't great that Coffey left early. He didn't get drafted and his leaving turned an NCAA team into a .500 team. It's good have players in the pros, but that would happen either way. There's not much benefit to it happening a year early. This isn't great either. But I do understand why he's doing what he's doing. Amir, not as much.

This really sucks but I think he made the right decision. This season is going to be a fucking mess. Protect the lungs. Loved the video message.

It wasn't great that Coffey left early. He didn't get drafted and his leaving turned an NCAA team into a .500 team. It's good have players in the pros, but that would happen either way. There's not much benefit to it happening a year early. This isn't great either. But I do understand why he's doing what he's doing. Amir, not as much.
It'd be great to have Bateman no doubt, but losing a basketball player is also far more impactful on the team than a football player, unless we're talking a QB potentially. Coffey was 1 of 5 on the floor. Rashod is 1 of 24+. With that said, maybe Top 1 of that 24, but either way can't compare football to basketball.

I really think it's an opportunity for Mo to handle more and to really explore more options on offense. Sanford should earn his money in Year 1!

Good football teams can recover from having a wideout leave early, and we are a good football team. We'll be fine.

Tons of teams were hurt more by players leaving early than we were by Coffey leaving early. Plus we were not .500 in conference, more like 8-12 which is better than our 7 year average.

Top Bottom