Bands/Artists From Minnesota!

On another note, I was caught off guard with Sean McPherson's recent move over to KBEM.

I haven't found the Current terrible, just frustrating. There's way to much new stuff that just doesn't register with me at all. It's not annoying, it's just blah.

United States of Americana is still a good show though.
I still listen to a couple of their specialty shows (Transmission and Time Machine) but that's about it.

There just seems to be a constant drumbeat of stories and vibes over the years. Resignations, firings of popular people, gripes aired publicly and privately...not to mention, like Ted said, the product ain't great. I'm not sure they've ever had a solid identity or objective...which can't be great for morale either.
IMO, the issue with The Current is that it's hard to be a truly eclectic music station. My eclectic taste is different than Ted's, Frink's, and yours. To be truly eclectic, that means some hits but likely many more misses. So The Current is forced to walk a fine line between an eclectic mix that also has broad appeal in order to be sustainable That probably frustrates true music heads like Mary Lucia. But it's just fine the casual listener like me, who just go to my iTunes playlist when I tire of The Current.

On another note, I was caught off guard with Sean McPherson's recent move over to KBEM.

I haven't found the Current terrible, just frustrating. There's way to much new stuff that just doesn't register with me at all. It's not annoying, it's just blah.

I was too. But this was probably a promotion for him. Plus, Sean has A LOT going on. Probably more than any other host (at least publicly).

What I've found listening to several of the XM radio channels is that there's so much great music and great new music out there that The Current never touched. The question is why are they so narrow and so programmed? Would it kill them to be more eclectic more often? That's sort of a rhetorical question and sort of a real one. My favorite XM channel is The Loft, which is famously eclectic...so eclectic that it got booted off the satellite because it never found a mass audience. It's still on the Internet, but it lost most of its on-air talent; they left after it lost its satellite presence. Maybe eclectic radio is one of those things people say they want but don't actually listen to when presented. Maybe MPR knows this and that's why The Current has always been narrow and programmed.

IMO, the issue with The Current is that it's hard to be a truly eclectic music station. My eclectic taste is different than Ted's, Frink's, and yours. To be truly eclectic, that means some hits but likely many more misses. So The Current is forced to walk a fine line between an eclectic mix that also has broad appeal in order to be sustainable That probably frustrates true music heads like Mary Lucia. But it's just fine the casual listener like me, who just go to my iTunes playlist when I tire of The Current.
Wow, great minds think alike; I just posted about the same sentiment right before reading this.

Counterpoint: I'd actually listen to your and Frink's eclectic mixes. XM literally changed my life because it broadened my exposure.

Wow, great minds think alike; I just posted about the same sentiment right before reading this.

Counterpoint: I'd actually listen to your and Frink's eclectic mixes. XM literally changed my life because it broadened my exposure.
Ok...but get ready for a disproportionate number of Sousa marches...

What I've found listening to several of the XM radio channels is that there's so much great music and great new music out there that The Current never touched. The question is why are they so narrow and so programmed? Would it kill them to be more eclectic more often? That's sort of a rhetorical question and sort of a real one. My favorite XM channel is The Loft, which is famously eclectic...so eclectic that it got booted off the satellite because it never found a mass audience. It's still on the Internet, but it lost most of its on-air talent; they left after it lost its satellite presence. Maybe eclectic radio is one of those things people say they want but don't actually listen to when presented. Maybe MPR knows this and that's why The Current has always been narrow and programmed.
It's still on my App, Ch 710. Maybe that's what you mean, I have only listened to Sirius/XM via App, so maybe you are referring to something else as far as it getting moved.

It's still on my App, Ch 710. Maybe that's what you mean, I have only listened to Sirius/XM via App, so maybe you are referring to something else as far as it getting moved.
That's what I'm talking about, yes.

That's what I'm talking about, yes.
SiriusXM is really a delight for music aficionado's with ADD.

I'm sure it's not rare that I sample a couple of dozen channels on any given day. If I go for an hour long walk, I would put the over/under at 5.5 different ones that I would visit. The ones most likely being 1st Wave, The Bridge, PopRocks, Lithium, The Loft, Outlaw Country, Petty, U2, PJ, Beatles, the Boss etc.

SiriusXM is really a delight for music aficionado's with ADD.

I'm sure it's not rare that I sample a couple of dozen channels on any given day. If I go for an hour long walk, I would put the over/under at 5.5 different ones that I would visit. The ones most likely being 1st Wave, The Bridge, PopRocks, Lithium, The Loft, Outlaw Country, Petty, U2, PJ, Beatles, the Boss etc.
Are you sure you're not me?

I do also like me some Underground Garage and Siriusly Sinatra from time to time.

Are you sure you're not me?

I do also like me some Underground Garage and Siriusly Sinatra from time to time.
Oh yeah, definitely should have included Underground Garage as well as Classic Vinyl, Covers....

Back on track with this thread...

If you get a chance to see Katy Vernon live, do it. She has a nice twangy Americana band, and she does solo shows where she plays ukulele.

These guys probably had to explain thousands of times that they were from Austin, MINNESOTA as opposed to Texas.

I still love this song and Billy Dankert is a damn nice guy, based on the few conversations I had with him.

Gear Daddies, Time Heals.

As the foreign host says at the end of this clip, "Proving there's more to Minneapolis than just Prince." From my favorite Replacements album (Tim) here's Kiss Me On the Bus

Here's Run Westy Run when they first reformed back in 2013, with a little help from Marc Perlman (Jayhawks) and Tom Merkl (Nova Mob/Iffy).

Mop It Up

5 years ago today was a really tough one for me personally, as this Minnesota music legend passed away. This performance took place just a few months earlier. One of my all time favorite songs, it became very hard for me to listen to until I discovered this version.

Grant Hart - 2541

5 years ago today was a really tough one for me personally, as this Minnesota music legend passed away. This performance took place just a few months earlier. One of my all time favorite songs, it became very hard for me to listen to until I discovered this version.

Grant Hart - 2541
I was going to do a bike ride on Sunday and check out the site just for something to do. 2541 has a rich musical history.

Edit: Now that I know where it is...I've been by there a zillion times. Still a good read though.

I was going to do a bike ride on Sunday and check out the site just for something to do. 2541 has a rich musical history.

Edit: Now that I know where it is...I've been by there a zillion times. Still a good read though.
Cool write up of the history, thanks for posting. Since this was in 2015, I hope the "Big windows to let in the sun" are still there.

I LOL'd at the article update about mis-identifying Mould as the bass player and the authors embarrassment.

Cool write up of the history, thanks for posting. Since this was in 2015, I hope the "Big windows to let in the sun" are still there.

I LOL'd at the article update about mis-identifying Mould as the bass player and the authors embarrassment.
*Puts on music nerd glasses.*

The song 2541 is not about that place or the breakup of the Huskers. Grant wrote it a few years before that about his breakup with a girlfriend. The number is actually referring to 2541 Garfield and as Grant later mentioned (and I have confirmed) it no longer has big windows.

It did have a connection to the Huskers end though. Grant brought it to rehearsels (I think for the Flip Your Wig album) and Bob dismissed as sounding to much like a Dream Syndicate song that was out at the time. Bob admitted that was a really stupid, hurtful thing that really opened a rift between him and Grant. He admitted later it's a great song and clearly meant a lot to Grant personally.

It's now the 40th anniversary of That Dream Syndicate album and they will be celebrating that and their new album 11/10 at The Turf Club. Here's the song in question, come see if it really reminds you of it that much, beyond the D A G chord structure.

The song 2541 is not about that place or the breakup of the Huskers. Grant wrote it a few years before that about his breakup with a girlfriend. The number is actually referring to 2541 Garfield and as Grant later mentioned (and I have confirmed) it no longer has big windows.

It did have a connection to the Huskers end though. Grant brought it to rehearsels (I think for the Flip Your Wig album) and Bob dismissed as sounding to much like a Dream Syndicate song that was out at the time. Bob admitted that was a really stupid, hurtful thing that really opened a rift between him and Grant. He admitted later it's a great song and clearly meant a lot to Grant personally.

It's now the 40th anniversary of That Dream Syndicate album and they will be celebrating that and their new album 11/10 at The Turf Club. Here's the song in question, come see if it really reminds you of it that much, beyond the D A G chord structure.
The Hart song does feel a bit of an homage, especially the electric version that would appear on Intolerance. I have always preferred the Solo version that was released on his EP, but all are great.

I do recall Mould writing in his book how he has later regretted rejecting it outright.

Regarding the "big windows", when the song was released I misheard it as "bay windows to let in the sun". Since this was before Google, I went straight to the source to clarify (big or bay) who was holding court at 1st Ave, most likely after a Soul Asylum show.

Grant politely informed me..."BIG windows, to let in the sun".

I can't remember where I saw it but Grant actually walks around the Garfield location (at least I assume it was) and talks about the place. It was just an open lot. Must have been a documentary about him. I will try and find it.

This is the documentary about Grant Hart I was referring to:

I think he might be walking around the former location 2541 Garfield at the very start of it.

With not much going on in terms of sports last night, I decided to watch the movie "Sunshine Cleaning" for the first time. It stars Amy Adams & Emily Blunt, so figured can't go wrong. Alan Arkin also has a supporting role as their father.

Opening credit/scene a song played by with a female voice, sounded quite familiar but could not quite place it. Scanning the end credit there was a good reason I sort of knew the tune, turns out to be titled Cure for This, by Golden Smog.

Written by Marc Perlman of the Jayhawks, it was released originally on Another Fine Day, an album for whatever reason I feel I have quite undervalued. The vocals are by Muni Camon, wife of producer Paco Loco, who is good friends of Gary Louris.

I think the animation is pretty cool.

As for "Sunshine Cleaning", marginal thumbs up.

Just as it was in this live clip, today is Bob Mould's birthday. Here's a couple songs from when he was a local back in his Husker Du days.

In a Free Land
Celebrated Summer

As the foreign host says at the end of this clip, "Proving there's more to Minneapolis than just Prince." From my favorite Replacements album (Tim) here's Kiss Me On the Bus

I always liked the Replacements more "poppy" songs, and actually liked the stuff Westerberg put out after the 'Mats. A few of my favorite:

I always liked the Replacements more "poppy" songs, and actually liked the stuff Westerberg put out after the 'Mats. A few of my favorite:
I have enjoyed the bulk of Westerberg's solo output as much or even more than the Replacements stuff. I maintain that Grandpaboy Mono is his best album start to finish that he's associated with. Stereo is a nice bonus.

High Time

Hopefully we have not seen the last of him.

Soul Asylum with the cast of Clerks for their end credit song.

Can't Even Tell

The Twin Cities doesn't match up to Seattle or Chicago....but Minnesota has been a hotbed of musical talent for a really long time. The indie scene here is wild with talented folks. Let's talk about our Gopher State artists here.
Dave Grohl giving huge props to Husker Du/Bob Mould. Preach!

Top Bottom