Band was defeated today

WHB Brewer

Reaction score
Why bring out the giant drum at halftime is nobody is going to hit it? Just had some folks dance around and pretend. Disappointment

The bad is not good. You can hardly hear them at halftime and for Homecoming the best you can come up with The Sound of Music, Come on.

Yeah let's just scrap the band and do what Marketing REALLY wants to do which is march 25 different groups of nobodies out on the field for photos and make us all golf clap for them just to pander to some corporate sponsors. That all being said you listen to the Texas Tech band and they can really wail and sound immaculate.

At no point during halftime was I able to hear any sound from the band. And I was focusing on them and watching and you can't hear anything discernible coming from them. It's just depressing. The indoor concert is great, however.

I'm glad people can still find things to complain about

Yeah let's just scrap the band and do what Marketing REALLY wants to do which is march 25 different groups of nobodies out on the field for photos and make us all golf clap for them just to pander to some corporate sponsors. That all being said you listen to the Texas Tech band and they can really wail and sound immaculate. Scrap the woodwinds and be done with it.

This. The amount of people/groups/teams they march out during every game is overkill.

I said the band was sucking a few weeks ago. I missed the game but am not surprised.

Who needs Superman when you have Milkman?

Sent from my XT1031 using Tapatalk

I personally like having a marching band, but ours is not as good as some of the B10 schools. Still decent though IMO...

Back in the Dome, you mostly heard echo but at least you heard something.

And Sound of Music? Ugh.

Our bands budget is under the music department which means many less brass instruments and very little travel. The big time bands like OSU are under the athletic departments budget. We need to change their funding if we want to improve the product.

The bad is not good. You can hardly hear them at halftime and for Homecoming the best you can come up with The Sound of Music, Come on.

For years I've wanted to establish a rule Sousa music ONLY.

I know they like to arrange and try new stuff but nothing is worse than the tributes to Billy Joel and such... it just doesn't work. I still have nightmares of the band playing Pressure....

my seats today were near the student section (and band) and I kinda felt sorry for the band. They were trying to play at the same time as the piped in music and were definitely not winning the battle.

my seats today were near the student section (and band) and I kinda felt sorry for the band. They were trying to play at the same time as the piped in music and were definitely not winning the battle.

Why does that happen? No excuse for that.

The band looked and sounded great today. I heard every note from the first row, second deck, home side of the field.

For years I've wanted to establish a rule Sousa music ONLY. I know they like to arrange and try new stuff but nothing is worse than the tributes to Billy Joel and such... it just doesn't work. I still have nightmares of the band playing Pressure....

I just don't think that the students and alums under 70 care to hear the Sound of Music. You would think they would give some effort for homecoming at least. This has to be one of the most unoriginal and worst bands in the Big 10.

It's unbelievable how some people on this forum can always find something to gripe about. Life is difficult enough during the week, try looking at the brighter side of things for the weekend at least. I had to watch from Orlando, but it looked like a beautiful day, the game was sold out again, The Gophers won, Bielema lost. Enjoy it!

Pregame is usually great, halftime is usually boring. This is how it has been for decades.

Why does that happen? No excuse for that.

It was when they were trying to get the crowd to be loud and with all the 3rd downs there were lots of those moments.

For years I've wanted to establish a rule Sousa music ONLY.

I know they like to arrange and try new stuff but nothing is worse than the tributes to Billy Joel and such... it just doesn't work. I still have nightmares of the band playing Pressure....

What about music arranged by Sousa?

It's unbelievable how some people on this forum can always find something to gripe about. Life is difficult enough during the week, try looking at the brighter side of things for the weekend at least. I had to watch from Orlando, but it looked like a beautiful day, the game was sold out again, The Gophers won, Bielema lost. Enjoy it!

agreed, but dont play when the offense is huddling on the goal line right in front of you. Makes it look like they've never played at a football game.

They lost seven brass players to lip injuries, so go easy on them.

I am normally a huge band booster, but I commented to my wife in both of the last two games that the music they play is waaaaay to old. Its like they do an internet search to find out the favorite tunes of the 65-year-old-multiple-cat-owning demographic. I'm an old guy and I like classic rock, but they should be playing to the students (IMO). I think they should stick to music over 70 years old (ie Sousa and a little big band) and then play only stuff the student section would know; 80's music (such as Michael Jackson, Journey and Bon Jovi) and contemporary stuff (like Fun, Pink and the like).

I love Chicago, but enough is enough.

I understand the song selection is not on the students, but we are now three game performances in and the band has not improved. Where are all the posters blaming it on freshman, no time for preparation, etc. ? What's your excuse this week?

I understand the song selection is not on the students, but we are now three game performances in and the band has not improved. Where are all the posters blaming it on freshman, no time for preparation, etc. ? What's your excuse this week?

I absolutely have seen improvement game-by-game

Top Bottom