Band / crowd Question

For those of you posting that our band doesn't have enough room to fit into their pit (and I agree, they don't), it could be worse. Here's the band room from a highschool in WA. Wonder what the trombone players do???

1632242801874.png

I'll just round out with this:

First off, apologies if I came off overly antagonistic. I was responding to what I thought was an unfair criticism that was being targeted only at the most recent drum major, even though other recent drum majors had done similar things. Thank you for the insight about the band in the 70s, that was not something I knew personally, and I think you are very lucky to have been a member of the band while Dr. Ben was around.

I do think you should give the current drum major some slack. The OSU game was the first live performance in front of a crowd in over a year and a half for most of the band, and it was her first performance as Drum Major. Obviously some high expectations, excitement, and nerves may cause more errors while performing than usual (I know I certainly made mistakes in live performances that I never made in practice). What we don't know is how often that drop happens, maybe that's the first time she's had that many drops while running the pregame routine, maybe every time she ran it in practice it was perfect. We don't know.

If you judged Matthew Trickett on just his performance in the Colorado game you'd think he was a terrible kicker, but everyone can have bad days and not fully represent how good they actually are at a skill (how many olympic or professional athletes have "choked" when it mattered the most even though clearly they were the most talented?). We have the luxury of knowing the results of Trickett's career as a college kicker, but we don't have the luxury of know how many times the drum major made all those tosses in practice.

I just think it's that perspective that everyone should keep in mind before writing off the Drum Major after 2 games as not B1G material.
Well thought out response. I will try to be more tolerant of the new drum major and apologies to any I offended.

For what it’s worth my freshman daughter plays trumpet in the Pride and says the Drum Major is extremely warm, welcoming and unifying. Nothing but good things to say about her. Personally I think all of those kids do a heck of a job. Just a top-tier program all around. Dropped maces/batons/flaming twirl sticks included.

I was in Section 131 against tOSU and heard them.
Sure, more than zero. Also being on the lower level and only a couple sections over probably helps.

Point is: take a decibel meter around to various sections when they're playing, maybe you'd be surprised at how much it falls off depending where you are.

I've been able to hear them seated in section 217.

Sure, more than zero. Also being on the lower level and only a couple sections over probably helps.

Point is: take a decibel meter around to various sections when they're playing, maybe you'd be surprised at how much it falls off depending where you are.
Had seats in 208 many times over the years. Really hard to hear the band there. But maybe that's normal? No idea.

I've been able to hear them seated in section 217.
Again, "able to hear them". I'm "able" to hear lots of things, if I strain and focus on it.

Not the robust, blaring sound that most would imagine when asked to think of college marching band music playing at a football stadium.

I sat in section 238 on Saturday and made it a special point to see how well I could hear the band. I could hear what they were playing and it was all fun and great until the "over-the-top-loud-pumped in-music/sound effects-with-obnoxious-PA guy" chimed in and then it was nothing. Sad.
That being said, I talked with my son after the game. He was in the Student Section, row 8 off to the side of the band. He said you can't even hear them...hardy ever...FROM THE STUDENT SECTION!

All stadiums pump in music. It's not new. Mic'd up band would be the only option to use the band in key situations.

I sat in section 238 on Saturday and made it a special point to see how well I could hear the band. I could hear what they were playing and it was all fun and great until the "over-the-top-loud-pumped in-music/sound effects-with-obnoxious-PA guy" chimed in and then it was nothing. Sad.
That being said, I talked with my son after the game. He was in the Student Section, row 8 off to the side of the band. He said you can't even hear them...hardy ever...FROM THE STUDENT SECTION!
That is an unfortunate reality of the instruments. If the band wasn't sunken in to the band pit it would be a bit better, but the student section being directly behind the band is working against being able to hear them. No matter how loud they play, they are pointed away from the students toward the open end of the stadium, so most of the sound travels away from the students, and will not reflect back.

You ask any student in any stadium in a similar setup and they'll likely say the same thing.

I actually prefer the piped in music over the band. Sorry, just provides a better atmosphere IMO.

You're probably right, Taji34...It just makes me mad that we have to listen to whatever crap that is being pumped through the PA, and not a college band...a good college band at that. We stuck around and watched them play after the game. Really enjoyed that.

You're probably right, Taji34...It just makes me mad that we have to listen to whatever crap that is being pumped through the PA, and not a college band...a good college band at that. We stuck around and watched them play after the game. Really enjoyed that.
If the sound system didn't have a ~1 second delay I would almost guarantee they would mic the band in stadium in the stands and on the field. Unfortunately the setup doesn't allow it :/

If the sound system didn't have a ~1 second delay I would almost guarantee they would mic the band in stadium in the stands and on the field. Unfortunately the setup doesn't allow it :/
I remember back in the Metrodome era mic'ing the band was against conference rules. Is that still the case?

I wonder if the PA system for the band was self-contained and not through the stadium PA system it would eliminate the delay? Mics that fed directly to the amplifier and then directly to speakers, which would all be placed right around the band pit facing out towards the seats?
I don't know, but I'm sure that suggestion would be dead in the water since the stadium PA folks would like to be able to control when the band was amplified, how much, when it's turned off, etc which would require it going through the full PA system.

Im in section 103. Band sounds like random horns when pointing at our side, when pointed away barely audible over crowd noise. PA always announces what they are playing. No way you could guess even half the songs from where i sit. I could take or leave them. Fine with keeping them because many feel differently. I get the feeling that a majority of the pro band people have a personal connection outside of the relative entertainment value.

Top Bottom