Badgers lost to UW-Green Bay 83-88

GopherLady

Reaction score
Yes, this is the team that just beat Duke. Talk amongst yourselves...;)

Is there any chance we can integrate their basketball board with our football board?

I normally wouldn't have to fact check something like this from GopherLady but it seemed so unbelievable that I had to check ESPN and see the box score for myself. Needless to say, its true.

Wow

I normally wouldn't have to fact check something like this from GopherLady but it seemed so unbelievable that I had to check ESPN and see the box score for myself. Needless to say, its true.

Wow

I didn't see a box score on ESPN - could you please link it? I'd like to see their stats and see where they fell short.

Merry Christmas to me. I had my once in a lifetime moment of siding with the Badgers when they beat Puke. Now, they can lose every other game.

Thanks, Rex...that is a boxscore.

Nothing glaring there, GB shot very well, and had a couple more steals and blocks, but it's nothing that really stands out (like our boxscores).

Nothing glaring there, GB shot very well, and had a couple more steals and blocks, but it's nothing that really stands out (like our boxscores).

UW had 18 turnovers tonight. They typically average around 10 and had only 5 against Duke.

Whenever UW would get within a score or two, GB would put 3-4 perfect possessions together and stretch it back out. They were pretty hot from 3, and we did a poor job hedging on the screens on the perimeter, leaving enough room to shoot.

I though Bo made a mistake by trying to match them small instead of playing big and making them defend us in the post.

In any event, GB played a very good game, and deserved the W.

Badgers typically allow opponents to shoot 28% from the outside. Yikes.

I heard from some people (all my friends/relatives, etc) are badger fans, and I still follow them, that the team just looked like they should walk over this team. Trevon Hughes played awful in the first half, and the Badgers looked like they didn't want to be there. Green Bay came to play and just plain beat them. Outplayed them in every facet of the game. I would love to see the look on Bo's face after the loss, maybe as good as the two when the gophers beat them twice last year. Here's to another sweep this year!

Ummm....

Why again is this such a shock? UW-GB always fields a pretty decent team, Wisky is a solid team, not outstanding.

Wisky was favored by 5, came up just short. UW-GB was 8-2 heading into the game so they were no slouch. If I'm not mistaken, UW-GB has beaten Wisky in year's past, haven't they? At least a couple times.

I think the thing that is glaring is that Wisconsin only played 8 guys, one of which played only a minute. Their lack of depth is startling.

What's the deal with Bruesewitz not playing?

Yeah Ogee, it just seems a lot more of an upset since Becky beat Dukie.

Good point...

Yeah Ogee, it just seems a lot more of an upset since Becky beat Dukie.

Funny you should mention that game. In both games, the team that lost was favored by 5 points, lost by 4.

Perfect example of why I don't bet college basketball...

Thought I would add this little nugget, since it also pertains to other conference teams:

Michigan got slapped around pretty good again this evening, falling to Utah 68-52 and are now a rather paltry 4-4 for the season. Some of the Wolverine fans are in full meltdown mode, which is interesting considering how many folks thought this might be a top-10 level Michigan team.

All I can say about both Wisconsin and Michigan's losses tonight are "hey, that's college basketball for you." :eek:

Wooowww! I thought Bo was at least the best coach in WI...

UW-GB always fields a pretty decent team.

I don't know if I'd go that far. They haven't been all that great since they qualified for three straight NCAA tournaments from 1993-96. They have not been back to the NCAA since, spanning 14 seasons.

1997: 14-14
1998: 17-12
1999: 20-11
2000: 14-16
2001: 11-17
2002: 9-21
2003: 10-20
2004: 17-11
2005: 17-11
2006: 15-16
2007: 18-15
2008: 15-15
2009: 22-11

Wisconsin-Green Bay hadn't played Wisconsin-Madison to a single-digit game in 9 years, including a 20-point loss last year.

Well that explains that!

I don't know if I'd go that far. They haven't been all that great since they qualified for three straight NCAA tournaments from 1993-96. They have not been back to the NCAA since, spanning 14 seasons.

Wisconsin-Green Bay hadn't played Wisconsin-Madison to a single-digit game in 9 years, including a 20-point loss last year.

That certainly explains my ignorance. 1996 was when I left college, and hence the last year that I REALLY watched a LOT of college basketball.

Yikes, the years rack up quickly...

I'll give Wisconsin all the accolades they deserve for the Duke win, but this one has got to hurt. Talk about falling. It even makes me feel better about Portland.

Disappointing loss. Green Bay is not bad and the Badgers were only 5 point favorites, but it is still a game you would expect to win.

Green Bay deserves credit for pulling it out.

There is a 6 page thread on Badger nation about whether it is a bad loss, horrible loss or mediocre loss. After reading it, I want to bang my head against the wall.

Consistency is the key to success and the Badgers have too many players that are not good enough to be consisitently good on a nightly basis. Until that problem is solved, games like this will happen.

No need to cancel the season.

Disappointing loss. Green Bay is not bad and the Badgers were only 5 point favorites, but it is still a game you would expect to win.

Unfortunately, we know your pain.

Sorry, that sucks.

I'd much rather have a resume with wins over Duke, Gonzaga, and Arizona along with a loss to UWGB than our current resume.

I'd much rather have a resume with wins over Duke, Gonzaga, and Arizona along with a loss to UWGB than our current resume.

Didn't Wisconsin lose to Gonzaga? Either way, the Duke, Maryland, and Arizona wins were good wins for a tough squad.

Top Bottom