Badgers beat Miami

GVBadger

Reaction score
Since there would have been a thread started if the Badgers lost, I thought I would start one because they won.

Now that the season is officially over, the theory that the Badgers program is sinking into the abyss can officially be put to rest.

12,9,7,10 is no longer a downward trend, so you will need to think up something new for this off season. Please use this thread to admit you were wrong about the Badgers this year. It seems like an appropriate spot to do it.

The good news is that 10 starters return on offense and since we all know by reading this board that experienced players are the key to success, the Badgers are primed for next year. Don't worry though, as Schoondler will tell you, 2013 and 2014 are looking really bad because Rivals does not like the Badgers 2010 recruiting class.

Good luck against Iowa State.

I was happy to see the Wisconsin win. I was pulling for them the whole way as I flipped back and forth between the Gopher basketball victory. I always pull for the Gophers first, the Big 10 in general second, and then individual teams within the conference (with Wisconsin at or near the bottom of that list) third. I hope the Big 10 wins every bowl game they are in this year and I am happy Wisconsin got things started with an important-for-the-conference victory over Miami. Congrats.

And, I agree... the demise of Wisconsin was reported prematurely. I was one of those who guessed the program was on the downward slide and this year proved me wrong. After the Gophers nearly beat the Badgers last year and brought back pretty much the whole team, combined with all the rumblings and discontent out of Madison, I let myself believe it was all going to be good news for the good guys this year and I was wrong about that.

Yep, good game from Bucky. Two observations:

1. I was surprised at how easily Wisky shut the Miami offense down. I thought they'd be able to stop the run, but figured Miami would torch them through the air. I was wrong.

2. We could learn a thing or two from Wisky's offense. They run 7-10 plays to perfection. It ain't razzle-dazzle, but it's damned effective.

I was happy to see the Wisconsin win. I was pulling for them the whole way as I flipped back and forth between the Gopher basketball victory. I always pull for the Gophers first, the Big 10 in general second, and then individual teams within the conference (with Wisconsin at or near the bottom of that list) third. I hope the Big 10 wins every bowl game they are in this year and I am happy Wisconsin got things started with an important-for-the-conference victory over Miami. Congrats.

And, I agree... the demise of Wisconsin was reported prematurely. I was one of those who guessed the program was on the downward slide and this year proved me wrong. After the Gophers nearly beat the Badgers last year and brought back pretty much the whole team, combined with all the rumblings and discontent out of Madison, I let myself believe it was all going to be good news for the good guys this year and I was wrong about that.

Completely agree, as usual :)clap:). Wisconsin played just as badly as Minnesota did in that game but the Badgers had much better and more experienced talent. Their season proved it.

Now Wisconsin has started what appears to be a much better Big Ten Bowl Season!

Oh yeah, the Badgers certainly didn't need to make the game so dramatic. They "shot themselves in the foot" enough times to just keep a game that they dominated close.

There you go GVBadger!

I will admit that I was wrong about the Badgers this year.

I didn't think they would suck, but I also didn't think they would win 10 games.

Upon further inspection, it would've been pretty disappointing if they didn't win 10 games with that schedule.

The fact remains that, regardless of record, Wisconsin will always suck, and they have zero national championships.

But hey, at least their boxing team was really good during WWII.

And while you have 10 players returning on offense, you still don't put up many points against a good defense. Until last night Clay averaged somewhere in the neighborhood of 67 yards per game against ranked opponents. Who replaces the 5 players you lose on defense including Schofield? I think the Gophers could have beaten Miami.

A solid win.
The badgers did what they do, and Miami was outmuscled up front.
It's a good sign for the Big Ten, and validates the style most Big Ten teams play.
I still don't think it necessarily constitutes a rising power in madison, I still think there are underlying issues with that program, Miami just couldn't match up tonight.

As I said in the other thread. I root for Wisconsin about three hours a year and it was good to see them do me a solid last night. It was a darn good game. I guess my enthusiasm comes from the fact that there is a completely insufferable Miami fan on another board I post on that just can't think of enough bad things to say about the Big 10. Sure was sweet to stick it to him. Wisconsin looked like a pretty classic Big 10 team out there last night.

Let's hope it starts a trend.

I blame the Miami uniforms. A loss is exactly what you deserve when you sellout your tradition to Nike.

I am impressed. I did not expect to see as much crow eating as I have in response to the thread.

Couple of comments. The Badgers schedule ranked about right in the middle for D1. Not great, not terrible. They did beat 5 bowl teams. Average teams do not win 10 games.

The Badgers offense should be much better next year against better defenses. It was Tolzien's first year as a starter and he did have some growing pains.

The biggest hole is going to be defensive tackle. They have some guys that have played, but they will need some people to step up.

Ole, I respect your opinion and enjoy your posts, but I think you are looking for something that is not there. There were questions heading into this season, definitley, but they have been largely answered. As much as most of you hate Bielema, he really grew as a coach and a person this year and he has a very good staff in place.

There are no guarantees in this game, but next year looks like it could be a very good year for the Badgers.

GVBadger, don't act like Badger fans saw a 10 win season coming this year. All of the Badger fans I know (and, unfortunately, I know quite a few) were very nervous about this season. And, all of them thought Bielema sucked and should be fired.

Grew as a person? You're kidding, right? Please tell me you're kidding.

I thought Wisconsin looked good. Some thoughts:

Where is the vaunted southern speed? Wisconsin certainly looked fast enough, especially on defense.

I also thought Bielama would run the program into the ground. Now I am not so sure. I think BB is growing up and learning how to do things the right way. He was such a punk in past years, this year not so much. I am much more worried than before.

That said, that is a weak-ass 10 wins. What is the signature win?

2. We could learn a thing or two from Wisky's offense. They run 7-10 plays to perfection. It ain't razzle-dazzle, but it's damned effective.

Agree 100%. We should play football like Wiscy and Iowa do. For some stupid reason we choose not to.

I am impressed. I did not expect to see as much crow eating as I have in response to the thread.

Couple of comments. The Badgers schedule ranked about right in the middle for D1. Not great, not terrible. They did beat 5 bowl teams. Average teams do not win 10 games.

The Badgers offense should be much better next year against better defenses. It was Tolzien's first year as a starter and he did have some growing pains.

The biggest hole is going to be defensive tackle. They have some guys that have played, but they will need some people to step up.

Ole, I respect your opinion and enjoy your posts, but I think you are looking for something that is not there. There were questions heading into this season, definitley, but they have been largely answered. As much as most of you hate Bielema, he really grew as a coach and a person this year and he has a very good staff in place.

There are no guarantees in this game, but next year looks like it could be a very good year for the Badgers.

Meh, his coaching talents are still in question for me. Weren't you a bit nervous late in the game last night? As a person, big meh.
The wisky program's internal structure is good, it was set up correctly, similarly to how Brewster is attempting to set things up here. It has allowed alot of success to continue. Kudos to that.
Now I have said too many nice things about wisconsin and will go throw up my coffee for about 30 min.

And while you have 10 players returning on offense, you still don't put up many points against a good defense. Until last night Clay averaged somewhere in the neighborhood of 67 yards per game against ranked opponents. Who replaces the 5 players you lose on defense including Schofield? I think the Gophers could have beaten Miami.

This is preposterous. The only reason we didn't put up more points vs. OSU, Iowa, and Miami is because we shot ourselves in the foot in each of those games. I'll take mid-400 yards against an OSU defense that is far and away the best defense in the conference, and I certainly will take the dominating performance last night against Miami, even though we turned the ball over far too often.

If you think the Gophs would beat Miami more power to you. I think they'll have their hands full with ISU, but who knows.

I thought Wisconsin looked good. Some thoughts:

Where is the vaunted southern speed? Wisconsin certainly looked fast enough, especially on defense.

I also thought Bielama would run the program into the ground. Now I am not so sure. I think BB is growing up and learning how to do things the right way. He was such a punk in past years, this year not so much. I am much more worried than before.

You said you watched the game last night and then you asked what the signature win was? Miami was number 15 and had a number of quality wins. There is your "signature" win.

Average teams don't win ten games, period.

Where is the Gophers signature win out of their 6? Thought so.

what was last night?

GVBadger, don't act like Badger fans saw a 10 win season coming this year. All of the Badger fans I know (and, unfortunately, I know quite a few) were very nervous about this season. And, all of them thought Bielema sucked and should be fired.

I'm not GV, but I certainly didn't think Bielema sucked and should be fired and I very much so saw a 9 or 10 win season. Last season was a disaster, a worst case scenario type of season where we blew leads in almost every game. There was a lot of me-first type of players that were only thinking about the NFL. If BB can keep the team grounded for next season I see a battle for the B10 title and a BCS bowl.

That slow unravelling of a program sure is fun to watch for Badger fans.

Many were nervous. I could not understand why. Had a lot of talent coming back. I thought they would win 9 or 10 before the season started. There are a lot of worry warts that are Badgers fans. Kind of like many of the Gophers fans on this board. To be fair, the fans on this board have more to be worried about.

I am going to go out on a limb and say that the Badgers fans you know are not a representative sample. There is not a sane Badgers fan that wanted to fire a coach that won 28 games in his first three years.

There is a ton of NFL talent coming back next year. The Badgers are fine until 2014 according to Schoondler so I am not worrying until then.

Many were nervous. I could not understand why. Had a lot of talent coming back. I thought they would win 9 or 10 before the season started. There are a lot of worry warts that are Badgers fans. Kind of like many of the Gophers fans on this board. To be fair, the fans on this board have more to be worried about.

I am going to go out on a limb and say that the Badgers fans you know are not a representative sample. There is not a sane Badgers fan that wanted to fire a coach that won 28 games in his first three years.

There is a ton of NFL talent coming back next year. The Badgers are fine until 2014 according to Schoondler so I am not worrying until then.

Being from Madison, I have more friends that are Badger fans than I do that are Gopher fans. I'd say nearly everyone of them were doubting Bielema quite a bit before this season. Most of them still think he's kind of an idiot. That is slowly starting to change after this season though. They still question some of his in game decisions and nearly everyone one of them wants him to give up his special teams duties. I think after next year most of the Bielema doubt will be erased if they live up to their top 15 potential. If they end up unranked then there may be more haters, but I think WI will do very well next year and possibly win the BIGTEN.

GVBadger,

I thought you would come back with last night.

Unless it is a really important bowl game, they are too much of a crap shoot to take too much pride in. Don't tell me that you wouldn't trade that bowl win for a victory agianst OSU or Iowa.

PS The Gophers don't have a signature win but this thread, started by you, is expliclty about Wisconsin- why are you so insecure about the Wisconsin program that you feel the need to bring up Minnesota?

PPS Anyone else get a kick out of how cold the Miami players looked? I would absolutely love to see a BCS chapionship game in Chicago at Soldier field.

I do a golf trip every summer with 7 other UW grads. I'd say that at least 3 of them (and the only two season ticket holders) wanted BB out and the other four don't care enough to have a strong opinion one way or the other. Unfortunately, I don't think it's not representative.

"I'd say nearly everyone of them were doubting Bielema quite a bit before this season. Most of them still think he's kind of an idiot

Anybody who saw the sidlines shots of BB last night couldn't have been overwhelmed with confidence. He reminded me of Mason, at his most "what the hell just happened" moment. That said he and his staff have done a good job over there on game days.

GV,

Congrats on a nice win for your program. Miami's a solid club. Good to see the Big 10 get off to a good start, even if it was courtesy of the Badgers (would have preferred it be MSU or the Gophers;)). Count me among those who thought the Badgers would take a step back this year & have it be the year Brew finally beats the Badgers. Didn't happen and BB deserves credit for that. Hard to argue with a 10-win season.

GV,

Congrats on a nice win for your program. Miami's a solid club. Good to see the Big 10 get off to a good start, even if it was courtesy of the Badgers (would have preferred it be MSU or the Gophers;)). Count me among those who thought the Badgers would take a step back this year & have it be the year Brew finally beats the Badgers. Didn't happen and BB deserves credit for that. Hard to argue with a 10-win season.

Thanks. Now we can get on to the serious stuff. :)

As I said, I am impressed with the number of people coming forward in this thread and eating a little bit of crow.

GVBadger,

I thought you would come back with last night.

Unless it is a really important bowl game, they are too much of a crap shoot to take too much pride in. Don't tell me that you wouldn't trade that bowl win for a victory agianst OSU or Iowa.

PS The Gophers don't have a signature win but this thread, started by you, is expliclty about Wisconsin- why are you so insecure about the Wisconsin program that you feel the need to bring up Minnesota?

PPS Anyone else get a kick out of how cold the Miami players looked? I would absolutely love to see a BCS chapionship game in Chicago at Soldier field.

Let me know how you feel after the Gophers beat a ranked team in a bowl, any bowl.

Of course I would have rather they beat OSU or Iowa, but to say a win over the 15th ranked team basically on the road is not a signature win is silly.

You are correct, this thread is not about the Gophers and I should not have brought that up.

I actually thought the win over the Gophers this year was a nice win given the circumstances.

"I am impressed with the number of people coming forward in this thread and eating a little bit of crow."

I'm not sure GV, but it probably has something to do with Minnesotans having our hearts warmed & softened (like the Grinch) by the Williams Arena crowd's willingness to show Clem some love last night. ... it wasn't easy for a lot of folks to do. But as Tubby likes to say, we "felt the love" last night, and perhaps some of us are even willing to pass the good will along to our border neighbors, even if only for a fleeting moment. Until the 18th of February, a safe New Year.

I am impressed with the number of people coming forward in this thread and eating a little bit of crow.

I wouldn't call it eating crow. The Badgers will end up ranked in the Top 20. Do you think that there were very many Badger fans that thought Wisconsin was one of the 20 best teams in the nation (outside of the insane asylum known as Buckyville)?

As someone who used to cheer for the Badgers for all but four hours per year, but now cheers for the Badgers for only four hours per year (last night), that was a very satisfying win. ESPN and Miami (FL) need to just get on with it and fornicate already.

As a Big Ten fan I find it a little upsetting that the stooges who rank teams will probably have Miami ranked ahead of UW nex pre-season. It doesn't do Minnesota any good if there is the perception that our rivals are weak, overated, in melt-down mode, etc. Especially when we're losing to them.

GVBadger wrote:
"Let me know how you feel after the Gophers beat a ranked team in a bowl, any bowl.

You are correct, this thread is not about the Gophers and I should not have brought that up."

I thought this thread was not about the Gophers.

Top Bottom