Badgers axe the goal post as Gophers sing alma mater in front of students

Look, I for one disagree with most of the posts on here. Number one, of course, win, and this doesn't matter. But you DO NOT LET THIS HAPPEN. I saw it, and I was actually yelling for a fight. I don't care if it would be "the low road", would "show a lack of discipline", or would lead to mocking by Reusse and suspensions. You don't let that sort of thing pass. Guess what, we weren't at all disciplined during the game, were we? Seriously, jump these idiots and teach them a little lesson about respecting our building. It's not about sportsmanship, it's about toughness. When a display of classlessness like that occurs, you do your best to stop it. I was very disappointed that our guys just tamely stood there and let the Badgers get in their faces.

Oh, the irony of this post. Bronko is porbably the least classy person on this board. Check out some of his posts. Becky won the game, move on and beat Purdue next week.

Thank you Art. I just wanted to see how far down into the thread I would have to read until a Gopher fan called Bronko on his schtick. There are some good posters over here.

It looked to me like the Badgers were hacking on the far goal posts and then ran over to the other ones, between the students/band and the players to hack those posts.

Whoever was holding the axe at the time even started waving it and swaying in time to the music briefly. This only lasted for about 10 seconds before the Badgers realized what we were doing and moved through quietly.

Not a big deal IMO.

It looked to me like the Badgers were hacking on the far goal posts and then ran over to the other ones, between the students/band and the players to hack those posts.

Whoever was holding the axe at the time even started waving it and swaying in time to the music briefly. This only lasted for about 10 seconds before the Badgers realized what we were doing and moved through quietly.

Not a big deal IMO.

Exactly.

I've been to Axe games since 1981 and the routine is the same every time. It predates the Gophers singing the alma mater on the field with the students - ain't that a three-year old tradition?

Either way, the Gophers are welcome to chop down the Camp Randall goal posts while the team/fans sing "Varsity" next year.

Fun TIme

I was at the game. Had a great time at Sally's prior to the game. Huge crowds, campus atmosphere, etc. I thought that all the badger and gopher fans I saw all acted with class.

We just got beat on the line. Their O line dominated and we just weren't good enough yesterday. Almost pulled it out.

This was my first game at TCF and wow, is it great to have football back on campus. Best is yet to come.

Wow.. I thought the lady behind me was yelling at me about being classless with my inbreeding comments, but she was really yelling at the Badgers being classless. At least that is what I am going to believe.

I have sit and watched Minny march around our field cutting down both goal post.

Yes, they did cut down the goal post in front of the student section as we song, On Wisconsin.

Guess its just been been to many years for the people in Minny to remember.

If a fight had actually broken out, that would be one thing. But it didn't; at least, not that we're aware of. Otherwise, I just look at it as the typical posturing that takes place after a rivalry game. One team wins, the other loses and people get worked up one way or the other in the aftermath. Just the way it goes.

Can anyone PLEASE explain why Wisconsin was not on the field for the national anthem???? First time I've ever seen that. Was that another classless act or is there a reasonable explanation?

Wisconsin is NEVER on the field for the National Anthem, nor is any team at Camp Randall.

Be proud of the 'classyness' of your team and fans. You'll be the classiest team at the Little Ceasars Pizza Bowl.

There's a simple solution if you don't want to see the Badgers chopping down your goal posts. You might even be able to guess what it is.

According to Becky posters, the only way to avoid classless annoying Badger behavior is to win. The idea that they would actually act in a decent manner is apparently out of the question.:rolleyes:

I'll give credit where credit is due, and the Badgers have had a successful program for nearly two decades, and yet, they can not act like they've been there before. OSU and Penn State fans can be annoying with their cockiness, but I'll take it over this crap.

Stay classy Wisconsin. :cool:

B!tch, B!tch, B!tch, B!tch, B!tch...that's all you Gopher fans ever do. If you ever win a game, you can return the favor of running around with the axe. But since you can't ever win, all you can do is complain about trivial things like if they're on the field for the anthem, chopping down the goal post (which is a great tradition), not shaking hands with the coach, a cheer in Camp Randall, people drinking. I've said it before and I'll say it again. Minnesota fans are fuçking pathetic.. Win the goddamn game if you don't want to deal with this.

I guarantee you, if the Gophers won, you wouldn't have any complaints about Wisconsin chopping down the goal posts here.

I think every recruit should come to MN.

You never have to worry about losses because there will always be lots of other things to blame the game on other than what happens on the field. Get real! The recent (tradition) of singing to the fans was simply put in place to disrupt the Badgers from starting the Axe celebration until the few fans that hadn't already left could clear the place before they had to watch the celebration. You people are like Don Knotts wearing muscle shirts. Woof, Woof, Woof!

....You people are like Don Knotts wearing muscle shirts. Woof, Woof, Woof!

Thank you Badgerhole. I now have a new B'Ville sig to replace Ruppert's lunacy. I'll still leave Ruppie's up a bit. It resonates well.

I have to agree that the Gophers showed class after the game, players and the student section for that matter...thought the Badgers didn't show much class after the game. Imagine if that had been reversed and the Gophers did the same thing in Camp Randall...it would have been ugly.

Honestly, I think the Badger players just didn't realize it. It looked like they were doing what they usually do after a win with the axe, but then kind of realized that Minnesota's team was right behind them and Hail Minnesota was playing. They kind of got out of there rather quickly. I don't think it will be an issue again.

If the Badgers don't want to line up for the national anthem, that's their business. I like that it's something that the Gophers do. That's that.

Only really had a problem with one Badger fan (Section 115, with his kid along in the Duluth East hockey hat). He was running his mouth all game to everyone around him, and not just about what was going on out on the field. Everyone else around me was good.

Of course 2 Badger sections yelling "F-You, Eat Sh!t" is a lack of class. I believe there are a good number of Badger fans that hate it, so linking all of them in together isn't fair. I thought it showed a lack of class by the Gopher students as they were leaving the stadium to outside chanting "F Wisconsin." The F bomb is definitely a word that gets thrown around WAY too much & easily.

Learn from our mistakes....BEAT PURDUE!

I have a saying I've used for a long time now. It goes something like this, "If you don't like the way your opponent celebrates beating you, don't let them beat you." Another saying that is appropriate here is, "To the victors go the spoils."

I know a lot of people are calling shenanigans here but they beat us. I hated it, and I was basically livid when they pushed through our players and chopped the goalpost during our new tradition. My reaction...watch. Watch very closely. Figure out what is important to them, and rub it in their face during a tradition of theirs as soon as possible. This is the longest rivaly in big time Division I-A (FBS) college football. This isn't kick ball on the playground. The winner gets to talk smack, have a lack of class, and enjoy every second of it. They did, and we didn't like it. To the Badgers, mission accomplished. To us, watch, remember, and get pay back as soon as possible.

Next year, get yourselves a piece of axe. Chop down the goalposts, stomp on the W at midfield, wave it in their faces, tell them in bad language how poor they play the game of football, and enjoy every second of it. That's what they did in our house, and they didn't give two rips about whether or not they were being classy. Nor should they have.

Are we really that concerned with class here? I think we're just pi$$ed off they got to do what we wanted to do but blew it. Again, this rivalry is too heated to be pointing fingers at classless behavior. There was a part of me that wanted the Gopher players to drill those guys when they came over and interrupted our song, but they chose not to. In hindsight, it was probably a wise move, but I don't think I would have had a problem with it even though that would not have been classy to do so. I'm just not concerned with being classy against Wisconsin, Iowa, or North Dakota (in hockey). They aren't, and I don't hold it against them. They don't need to be classless for me to hate their guts. I think the feeling is mutal. Therefore, I think the "Pollyanna" routine is a little over the top.

Here is my question..... why were the goal posts being taken down in the first place? Do they do that at the end of each game? I can see MAYBE if the Gophers had won in case some students stormed the field. I didn't notice this during other home games on TV.

Here is my question..... why were the goal posts being taken down in the first place? Do they do that at the end of each game? I can see MAYBE if the Gophers had won in case some students stormed the field. I didn't notice this during other home games on TV.
Every game they are taken down as the game ends. For the first time this week, I remained in the stadium for around 10-15 minutes after the game ended. By the time I left, the goal posts were back up again. The base is on a hinge so it's easy to do. It is apparent that this is done for the sole purpose of preventing the fans from taking them down. I know Iowa does this at Kinnick too.

Thats what I figured but With only 3,000 tickets for badger fans and them being way up in the upper deck I didnt think it was going to be an issue. Guess I was wrong. It sure did give Wisconsin a nice prop though for swinging the axe.

Thats what I figured but With only 3,000 tickets for badger fans and them being way up in the upper deck I didnt think it was going to be an issue. Guess I was wrong. It sure did give Wisconsin a nice prop though for swinging the axe.

Yep.

117951909.jpg

Top Bottom