Badgers axe the goal post as Gophers sing alma mater in front of students

BleedGopher

Reaction score
I thought we were on the verge of a big throw down after the game, but it was nice to see the Gophers take the high road and not start pushing the Badgers even though they pushed some of our guys out of the way while they were singing the alma mater in front of the stduents.

We lost this game on both lines today - our o-line continued to get beat at critical times and we got no pressure up front on D.

This is the type of games that we need to win to truly turn this thing around and get the program into the upper echelon of the BT. It really sucks losing 13 of 15 to the Badgers or whatever the dominant record is at over the last dozen or so years. And it sucks losing at home in what feels like a below average Badger team. Congrats to UW as you guys find ways to win.

Go Gophers!!

I thought we were on the verge of a big throw down after the game, but it was nice to see the Gophers take the high road and not start pushing the Badgers even though they pushed some of our guys out of the way while they were singing the alma mater in front of the stduents.

We lost this game on both lines today - our o-line continued to get beat at critical times and we got no pressure up front on D.

This is the type of games that we need to win to truly turn this thing around and get the program into the upper echelon of the BT. It really sucks losing 13 of 15 to the Badgers or whatever the dominant record is at over the last dozen or so years. And it sucks losing at home in what feels like a below average Badger team. Congrats to UW as you guys find ways to win.

Go Gophers!!

i see that becky was showing her usual "class". :rolleyes:

Just a great rivalry game with the winners doing the traditional thing which is carrying the Axe around and then "chopping down" the goal posts.

Teams went at it hammer and tongs and both had chances at the end.

I'm hoping Minnesota runs the table the rest of the year. Good luck.

Edit:

TCF is going to be a roaring success. Nice venue.

Just a great rivalry game with the winners doing the traditional thing which is carrying the Axe around and then "chopping down" the goal posts.

Teams went at it hammer and tongs and both had chances at the end.

I'm hoping Minnesota runs the table the rest of the year. Good luck.

no. it was a lack of class. don't try to tell me for a second that becky fans wouldn't have been upset as well. especially when players are singing alma mater with their fellow classmates. it was a classless move by becky. plain and simple. but, i guess that is expected when they take their marching orders from a grade-a jerk like bielema.

I doubt the Badgers know the tradition of the team singing with the fans at the end of the game. I agree they should have gone to the other end. There is no sense in pushing after a hard-fought game like that on both sides.

Great game to watch as a fan with it coming down to the end of the game, as it usually does in this, the greatest rivalry in college football. Good luck the rest of the way.

no. it was a lack of class. don't try to tell me for a second that becky fans wouldn't have been upset as well. especially when players are singing alma mater with their fellow classmates. it was a classless move by becky. plain and simple. but, i guess that is expected when they take their marching orders from a grade-a jerk like bielema.

There's a simple solution if you don't want to see the Badgers chopping down your goal posts. You might even be able to guess what it is.

Why would the goofs have ANY CLUE how to act in victory? We all saw those empty trophy cases. Fortunately I will never need to worry about what the goofs do with the axe. Many more recruiting classes will be coming through that never touch the thing.

Oh, the irony of this post. Bronko is porbably the least classy person on this board. Check out some of his posts. Becky won the game, move on and beat Purdue next week.

Just a bad idea to come to the student section and showboat like that. Everyone is lucky a fight didn't break out.

I didn't stick around to see that. I'm disappointed that our guys let that slide. Lord knows that we guys on the team that like to throw down outside of a football game.

Oh, the irony of this post. Bronko is porbably the least classy person on this board. Check out some of his posts. Becky won the game, move on and beat Purdue next week.

please! equating perceived message board "etiquette" to what actually WAS a classless move on the field by becky. only our resident smart-ass art vandelay can make that leap. what a gem you are art! :rolleyes:

That was simply two traditions coinciding at the same time. I'm sure the players weren't briefed before the game as to what the team would be doing after the game and it's not as though the song was being played and then they decided to come over; the decisions was made before that.

My solution is we need to get a decent O-line and then win next time.

please! equating perceived message board "etiquette" to what actually WAS a classless move on the field by becky. only our resident smart-ass art vandelay can make that leap. what a gem you are art! :rolleyes:

Whatever man :D

You keep me entertained though with your junior high type posts with name calling and profanity.

Can anyone PLEASE explain why Wisconsin was not on the field for the national anthem???? First time I've ever seen that. Was that another classless act or is there a reasonable explanation?

There's a simple solution if you don't want to see the Badgers chopping down your goal posts. You might even be able to guess what it is.

I kind of wish we had Tinsley out there with the 2 x 4 bustin heads...

alright alright TOO SOON. I just had to

Can anyone PLEASE explain why Wisconsin was not on the field for the national anthem???? First time I've ever seen that. Was that another classless act or is there a reasonable explanation?
Pretty sure that's the home team's 'event management' staff call. All that pregame stuff coordination (band, TV, team entrances, coin flip, anthem, etc.) is tightly scripted. Even more so when there's a flyover.

Badgers Skip Anthem

Badgers told whoever runs the game that they were going to stay in the locker room for the anthem from what I heard.

BS Wideass. Typical Wisconsin arrogance to try to divert attention from your team's embarrasing display of sportsmanship.

Wisconsin is so classless. Who comes into another team's new stadium and wins. Typical classless becky team and fans. Class, unclassy, classless, class, not classy, class.

Hmmm

Win the game and it does't happen...

Well i hope Wisconsin enjoyed it cause they are not going to win the axe again for a long time!!

BS Wideass. Typical Wisconsin arrogance to try to divert attention from your team's embarrasing display of sportsmanship.

Damn, you figured it out Sherlock! The Badgers are actually communists - that's why they wear red and play "The Internationale" before home games.

When do the tales of atrocious Badger fan behavior start? I can't wait!

Some of you Gophers need to lay off the crazy for a while.

Badger class can be summed up with their fans repeated chanting of "F--- You...Eat S---", the team skipping the national anthem and the team pushing our team out of the way as we sing the State Hymn. Class all the way.

At least they didn't carry the goal posts out of the Dome like the Iowa fans did 5 yrs ago...
That was a disgrace.... Minny just has to step up and be tough in border games. NO MORE EXCUSES!
The Student section blew. We got beat up at the line. stop whining.

So tell me. What would our players have done with the Axe if we won it back in Madtown? Join a circle on the 50 yd line and sing Kumbaya???

This is a rivalry game and these things help keep it that way. No one got hurt except for some Gopher pride. Maybe it will provide us additional incentive enough to finally get a win next year.

Forget winning and losing, to be a really 'big time' program, we need to start skipping the national anthem. Now that's big time!

I would tend to go with PeanutButterTubby on this. I'm sure they didn't know your kids gathered in front of the student section after the game.

The important thing is, don't repeat it. When the game comes back to MSP in 2011, if UW happens to be in the same situation, they need to go to the posts at the opposite end away from the students, and allow your kids their time with the student section.

It would seem the athletic depts could work this out easily.

Top Bottom