Badge(r) of Shame

When the hell was Wisconsin relevant this century? That riveting run to Big Ten runner-up status in 2006? The only thing Wisconsin has over us in terms of "relevance" this century is that they're a skinnier bridesmaid. Big f'in deal.

(P.S. You should be embarrassed to call yourself a "gopheralum".)

I agree. Over the last 10 years, the Badgers and the Gophers have had very similar programs. Very good point.

I agree. Over the last 10 years, the Badgers and the Gophers have had very similar programs. Very good point.

Note how I said "relevance". Or did they not teach that word at Madison?

How often do they talk about Wisconsin on ESPN? How often does SI write articles about Wisconsin? How many BCS bowls has Wisconsin played in since the 2000 season?

Exactly.

Nationally, Wisconsin is as relevant over the last decade as Minnesota. Which is to say, "not at all".

Note how I said "relevance". Or did they not teach that word at Madison?

How often do they talk about Wisconsin on ESPN? How often does SI write articles about Wisconsin? How many BCS bowls has Wisconsin played in since the 2000 season?

Exactly.

Nationally, Wisconsin is as relevant over the last decade as Minnesota. Which is to say, "not at all".

This is too funny. Neither are national powers or helmet schools, but College Game Day was on the Wisconsin Campus this year and they started as a team that was talked about on most college football shows. They are also one of the top schools in terms of sending high level offensive linemen to the NFL over the last decade.

Sure their fans really over exaggerate their place in the college football universe, but sadly they aren't on par with the U.

but College Game Day was on the Wisconsin Campus this year

Clearly, that had nothing to do with the fact that A) Ohio St. was visiting and B) Ohio St. was #1 at the time. Nope, nothing at all.

and they started as a team that was talked about on most college football shows

They were? Of course they'd be talked about on top 25 preview shows, because they were a top 25 team. Where are the articles, written by national media, that are specifically about Wisconsin football? I'd love for you to find me some.

They are also one of the top schools in terms of sending high level offensive linemen to the NFL over the last decade.

They are? Joe Thomas and.....?

(Unless you want to call Aaron Gibson and Chris McIntosh "high level". Forgive me if I don't share that sentiment.)

Sure their fans really over exaggerate their place in the college football universe, but sadly they aren't on par with the U.

Never said that they were. But in the mind of the average college football fan and the average college football journalist, they are a complete and total afterthought. Just like Minnesota.

Clearly, that had nothing to do with the fact that A) Ohio St. was visiting and B) Ohio St. was #1 at the time. Nope, nothing at all. Sure that had plenty to do with it, but I didn't know that College Game Day followed the #1 team around the country. I thought the picked one of the premier match ups each week. That usually means they evaluate both teams.

They were? Of course they'd be talked about on top 25 preview shows, because they were a top 25 team. Where are the articles, written by national media, that are specifically about Wisconsin football? I'd love for you to find me some. You can go look for yourself, but the get plenty of column space from people like Stewart Mandel at SI.

They are? Joe Thomas and.....?

(Unless you want to call Aaron Gibson and Chris McIntosh "high level". Forgive me if I don't share that sentiment.)

I may have been a little carried away with high level, but they have had roughly 10 offensive lineman drafted in the last decade. Most people think Carimi (sp) will be another early round draft pick. They also have had quite a few people draft from the defensive line as well. To say that is an area they don't excel is quite silly.

Never said that they were. But in the mind of the average college football fan and the average college football journalist, they are a complete and total afterthought. Just like Minnesota.

Maybe we have different definitions of complete the total afterthought. The sad fact is that no matter what warped measurement you use in any form of the american lexicon they are not "just like Minnesota".

Nice Try.

After the 2 point conversion fiasco Jim Rome made some remark that he thought Minnesota had folded their football program and were no longer even playing. This is the type of national media attention we get. It's actually better for us to be forgotten about than mocked.

College Gameday will probably never come here and it's like the 3rd trip they've made to Madison the past 7 years. I appreciate your healthy hate of all things Wisconsin, but to say they're an afterthought nationally is absurd. That remark would be ridiculous coming from anyone who follws CFB, but on this board of all places...

Top Bottom