Back to 17 wins to be “completely safe” heading to BTT

Status
Not open for further replies.

Winning 6 of 12 flip a coins will not be easy.
We need to sweep the must win category.
NW beat Michigan State... even that game now seems it will be difficult.

Northwestern punking MSU is more of an indictment of them overlooking Northwestern than their talent, I'm sure.

Buckle up boys and girls! This is going to be one bumpy ride.

12/25 vs. #4 Iowa
12/28 vs. #12 Michigan State
12/31 at #9 Wisconsin
1/3 vs. #23 Ohio State
1/6 at #19 Michigan
1/10 at #4 Iowa
1/16 vs #19 Michigan

12/25 vs. #4 Iowa
12/31 at #9 Wisconsin
1/3 vs. #23 Ohio State
1/6 at #19 Michigan
1/10 at #4 Iowa
1/16 vs #19 Michigan

I feel we can compete in all these games outside of MSU. Seems like the Spartans always have our number. Will come down to our shooting. We beat St.Louis by shooting 40% from 3, if we shoot 28% like we normally do then we lose that game. Also the mental/emotional boost from seeing a 3 pointer go thru the hoop is very helpful to other parts of a team's game. Cant be clanking them.

I think we can compete with Wisconsin, Ohio St, and Michigan...I think MSU and Iowa put a beat down on us. Hopefully Purdue wears out Iowa tonight? or whenever they play.

I expect Gophers to be favored at home over Michigan and Ohio State. I'm not ready to put those two with the "Big 4" quite yet despite MSU's loss to Northwestern. Relative to the Gophers, Michigan & OSU don't have rosters that make me go "Wow". I think Gophers match up well there, home or road.

Of the Big 4, MSU is the one I'm most confident Gophers can beat. Sparty always peaks late in the season, so now is a good time to get them, as Northwestern proved. Badgers I expect close games, but Gophers usually spit the bit at end vs. Bucky.

I think Iowa is the toughest matchup. We all know the Hawkeyes aren't great on D, but I just think they have way too much fire power for the Gophers. Only way to beat them, I think, is to pressure the hell out of their guards, Bohannon especially.

Gophs should be able to compete in every game. I want to see wins, but at the very least I'm just hoping we compete for 40 minutes. I don't wanna see Iowa or Michigan St. get up big on us and then we just fold like has happened too often in the Pitino era. Compete for 40.

St. Louis and Marymount good examples of teams not folding. They made us earn it. It'd be nice if we had that same mentality when we go up against superior competition.

If you were to tell me at season's beginning this is where we'd be on the road to selection sunday, I think we'd all have taken it. Gotta get 2-3 of these to hold serve. We'll learn what kind of team we have through this stretch and I'm excited to see what they've got

12/25 vs. #4 Iowa
12/31 at #9 Wisconsin
1/3 vs. #23 Ohio State
1/6 at #19 Michigan
1/10 at #4 Iowa
1/16 vs #19 Michigan
Find a way to go 3-4.

After tonight's HUGE win over Iowa, Minnesota is now 1-1 in "The Big Boys" bucket. We need go to 2-6, we are now 1-1.

GO GOPHERS!!

Somebody should dig up the posts of the fake Gophers fans saying that they wouldn't win another game for over a month during the Illinois beatdown on the 15th.

Do you think no fans will impact home court advantages? Sincere Q.

Interruption: Home floor will not be the advantage it normally is. Mostly because home team won't get the juice from the home fans. Very interesting situation. Will committee devalue road wins because of reduced home floor advantage?

Maybe we will also get 102 points in Carver-Hawkeye in a couple weeks

But I think home court matters ;)
(Interruption:) Juice w 40 seconds left in regulation tonight was coming from somewhere

(No, I am not going to dive into empirical data this early. But believe there is at least a subjective trend w the only team that matters on this board (y))

Somebody should dig up the posts of the fake Gophers fans saying that they wouldn't win another game for over a month during the Illinois beatdown on the 15th.
Post traumatic Haskins disorder/Pitino derangement syndrome, preemptively assuming they will lose makes it easier to deal with if it happens. Our roster matches up with every team in the league except Illinois. They are the MSU for us this year as in 8 out of 10 contests would probably result in a gopher loss if not a complete blowout. Everyone else is beatable. Even Freeman was effective tonight... Think about that 😅

(Interruption:) Juice w 40 seconds left in regulation tonight was coming from somewhere

(No, I am not going to dive into empirical data this early. But believe there is at least a subjective trend w the only team that matters on this board (y))

Friendly amendment accepted. I need to add that playing on the road on Christmas Day might be a huge disadvantage for reasons that have nothing to do with basketball. That having been said, I'm taking the win without apology!;)

I expect Gophers to be favored at home over Michigan and Ohio State. I'm not ready to put those two with the "Big 4" quite yet despite MSU's loss to Northwestern. Relative to the Gophers, Michigan & OSU don't have rosters that make me go "Wow". I think Gophers match up well there, home or road.

Of the Big 4, MSU is the one I'm most confident Gophers can beat. Sparty always peaks late in the season, so now is a good time to get them, as Northwestern proved. Badgers I expect close games, but Gophers usually spit the bit at end vs. Bucky.

I think Iowa is the toughest matchup. We all know the Hawkeyes aren't great on D, but I just think they have way too much fire power for the Gophers. Only way to beat them, I think, is to pressure the hell out of their guards, Bohannon especially.

Glad to have you wrong for a change, Hodger!

Honestly I think the biggest difference with the lack of fans will be more consistent officiating.

Home teams always get calls in the big ten and I don’t think they will as much this year

Sure, and that would mean MSU would have very little chance to win the conference. I can not find a single team that started 0-3 and won the conference.

20 games and a loaded conference may make that history less relevant. With the balance and quality of the conference, and a 20 game schedule with no fans to speak of, it seems very plausible that a team could win the league with seven losses. Bouncing back from 0-3 might not be the feat it first appears.

Then again, 0-3 with two of those teams expected to be bottom dwellers, appears to be a pretty deep hole.

Sparty is suffering without a true point guard. The on the job training and by committee approach is a rough way to go. I'd rather be facing MSU after them winning than losing.

Looks like the big boys and must wins are now within reach. Will need to start working on the flip a coins. Most of those eleven games will indeed be tossups so buckle up. Probly gonna have some exhilarating wins and heartbreaking losses - this season not for the faint of heart.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom