B1G Game 8: Gophers Visit Nebraska (1-19-21)

Your actually right, but a little harsh.. Coach Whay sent a message in the 2nd qtr and she came out and played inspired basketball in the 3rd and 4th. This offense which is a pro offense puts a lot of pressure on the PG to do it all, we actually played better in the 2nd when we got others touches..
Yeah sorry, I get a little feisty, because I just hate losing and bad basketball. I have seen a plethora of improvement with in this team. I’m a big Whalen fan. I do think she will learn things, and in time steady the ship. Also a big Scalia fan. Would have loved to get Sam Haiby to Minnesota.

The stats might not show it but i thought the 2nd quarter minutes from Smith was the best shes played all year, she was really good defensively, she hit a 3, she got in for a couple offensive rebounds, she had an assist to Scalia. That 2nd quarter lineup changed the game.

Last edited:

Yeah sorry, I get a little feisty, because I just hate losing and bad basketball. I have seen a plethora of improvement with in this team. I’m a big Whalen fan. I do think she will learn things, and in time steady the ship. Also a big Scalia fan. Would have loved to get Sam Haiby to Minnesota.
Marlene didn't even give Haiby a sniff.. Actually if I recall Haiby didn't burst onto the scene until her last AAU season playing in the Eybl with North Tartan, up to that point I could be wrong but I'm not sure she had any other power 5 offers.

Powell has played a lot better the past two games after her "return" the the PG position. I agree with the thought that she sometimes gets a bit flat-footed on D. And Frink is right, she does rebound well for her size. Other random thoughts...ball movement getting better. Defense also getting better, but still too many lapses. Like the fact that Whalen has enough bodies this year that she can sit a player like she did with Powell. The Gophers have a lot of inconsistent players, probably due to their youth, and when a player isn't getting it done or when the matchups aren't good, replacements are available.. Gophers did a good job of defending Scoggins in the second half after she went off in the first half. I continue to see potential I wasn't sure I'd see in Sconiers. Nice win, a road win against a team that has recently defeated three top 15 teams. Still not expecting this team to go on a big winning streak, but if they can continue to get better, we'll be able to have some optimism for the future. Sissoko and Smith are two players who I think can show some major improvement between now and the end of the season. Sorry to ramble.

The stats might not show it but i thought the 2nd quarter minutes from Smith was the best shes played all year, she was really good defensively, she hit a 3, she got in for a couple offensive rebounds, she had an assist to Scalia. That 2nd quarter lineup changed the game.

Whalen seems to implement Reeve’s “if you make a mistake, I’m pulling you until I need to put you back in” philosophy. When Smith carelessly dribbled in front of a defender losing the ball, she got subbed out and never made it back in.

Marlene didn't even give Haiby a sniff.. Actually if I recall Haiby didn't burst onto the scene until her last AAU season playing in the Eybl with North Tartan, up to that point I could be wrong but I'm not sure she had any other power 5 offers.
I live 40 minutes from Moorhead, she was so good for a long time. It’s all about getting on the right AAU team. But Stollings 🤦🏽‍♀️🤦🏽‍♀️

I thought it was cute when Powell acted like she was nervous chewing her fingernails after she iced the game with 2 free throws! This was during the timeout right after the free throws!

Top Bottom