B1G Game 8: Gophers Visit Nebraska (1-19-21)

Have to say tho impressed with Neb coaching. Knowing they only have 7 available players they do like to run down the shot clock and dictate tempo. Yes, it’s cost them a couple times but they’re still playing at the pace they want.

Unfortunately we have to play the Third quarter. Did Powell sit the entire 2nd quarter??

Scoggins starting out the 2nd half like she ended the 1st....

Scalia on the double bounce 3 ! Playing a better 3rd than many of our previous games.

Maybe we could talk to the refs and Neb could just start all of their possessions at the free throw line. Save the time of us fouling literally every time they come down the court.

Missed 3 layups that I counted in the third quarter. Need those in close games like this. Still a better third quarter in a long while. Some of the calls were ticky tacky I thought.

Classic well run offense against the zone to get Hubbard the three in the corner. Love it!

Nerve racking in bounds pass. Huge W on the road. Nice to see both Scalia n Hubbard play well. Now if we can add Sissoko this team keeps improving. Our D showed the most improvement today.

Not a great game. But a BIG10 road win ought to give them some confidence.

Nerve racking in bounds pass. Huge W on the road. Nice to see both Scalia n Hubbard play well. Now if we can add Sissoko this team keeps improving. Our D showed the most improvement today.
Sissoko taking it out late is risky, just not a good decision maker

The end of this game reminded me of the old joke about the first 38 minutes of a college basketball game takes 40 minutes to play and another 40 to play the last 2.

Whatever coach Whalen told Sissoko after pulling her worked, yes some questionable offense decisions but thought she played solid defense later in the game. Hopefully winning this games opens their eyes that playing solid defense gives you a chance. What’s the old saying? Defense travels well?

Very nice! First game to impress me coming from low expectations.

What I liked
Low turnovers: 7
Assists: 18
Hitting threes: 15-32
It’s hard to lose when you hit that many threes.
Mershon looks fairly competent on defense.
Powell is still da man.

Didn’t like
Rebounding could be better.
Defense looked better but relied on opposition missing make-able shots: Only 3 team steals and 1 block.

Nice to see Scalia and Hubbard gain some confidence and start hitting some threes. Nice win today lady's, we will take it. Go Gophers!!!!!

impressive stat for me..

Gophers defense held the Huskers to 10 points in the 4th quarter. Sam Haiby had 8 of them. Huskers went 3-21 in the 4th quarter as well.

good to see Hubbard step up and have one of her better games this season 18 points, 12 in the 4th.

Smith's defense is really good, hopefully her offense will catch up, I still think she a little passive on the offensive end once again had a couple open looked and passed them up.

Jazz is really playing well of late, her TO's have really cut down 2 today but she seems to be finding her groove again.

Sconiers with her second straight game of double figures, she has a nice little 8-10 ft jumper that she used well today bringing Cain out. knew she couldn't go at her so Klarke used her smooth jumper..

good win for this team, really happy for Kayla for picking up a win there!

Maybe we could talk to the refs and Neb could just start all of their possessions at the free throw line. Save the time of us fouling literally every time they come down the court.
With Nebraska shooting FTs like they did, fouling them wouldn't have been a bad strategy. And did anyone else forget Cain was in that game? As dominant as she apparently can be, she vanished.

Last edited:

With Nebraska shooting FTs like they did, fouling them wouldn't have been a bad strategy. And did anyone else forget Cain was in that game? As dominant as she apparently can be, she vanished.

only 6 points for her just after a huge 22 point game against OSU..

I WAS really worried she was going to kill us today.. Klarke and Kayla did a really good job on her... used 7 of their 10 fouls

No body defends Kate Cain better than Kate Cain. I was a little surprised that we didn't get her into foul trouble; but sometimes she's just not mixing it up.

Unfortunately we have to play the Third quarter. Did Powell sit the entire 2nd quarter??

Yes, Powell sat the entire second quarter. Whalen touched on it in the radio post game. I assume it was for defense. Then when things turned for the better she didn't want to mess with the lineup.

Maybe Lindsay was watching the Iowa/Purdue game on Monday night when, with Iowa trailing late in the game, Bluder pulled Clark and Iowa went on a winning run. Clark didn't return until the closing seconds.

Anyway, I would've liked to heard something more about the move.

Yes, Powell sat the entire second quarter. Whalen touched on it in the radio post game. I assume it was for defense. Then when things turned for the better she didn't want to mess with the lineup.

Maybe Lindsay was watching the Iowa/Purdue game on Monday night when, with Iowa trailing late in the game, Bluder pulled Clark and Iowa went on a winning run. Clark didn't return until the closing seconds.

I haven’t watched the game yet, but holy moly I’ve been waiting for this all year!! I know Powell can score, but she is lazy on defense, doesn’t rebound and actually doesn’t take great shots. Doesn’t mean she can’t learn to do those things, but she hasn’t impressed me this year. Then all the announcers talk about is her scoring. I want kids to watch someone who plays the whole game. I will be watching it tomorrow.

I think it was pretty clear why she sat her.. Coach sugar coated the answer..
I will give Powell credit for not pouting and to come out and play inspired basketball.. Who knows, maybe thats why we didnt collapse in the 3rd, Powell was fresh.

I haven’t watched the game yet, but holy moly I’ve been waiting for this all year!! I know Powell can score, but she is lazy on defense, doesn’t rebound and actually doesn’t take great shots. Doesn’t mean she can’t learn to do those things, but she hasn’t impressed me this year. Then all the announcers talk about is her scoring. I want kids to watch someone who plays the whole game. I will be watching it tomorrow.
Your actually right, but a little harsh.. Coach Whay sent a message in the 2nd qtr and she came out and played inspired basketball in the 3rd and 4th. This offense which is a pro offense puts a lot of pressure on the PG to do it all, we actually played better in the 2nd when we got others touches..

Have to disagree about the rebounding. She's averaging 5 a game from the point and has shown a willingness to really go after the ball. Definitely needs to improve D and shot selection but I think she'll get there.

Top Bottom