B1G Game 15: Gophers Host Nebraska (2-15-23)

Ignatius L Hoops

Reaction score
The Huskers launched the B1G season with a boom, mauling Maryland 90-57 in College Park. Three days later Nebraska washed out Wisconsin with an 82-54 romp in Lincoln. Then came three straight non-conference wins with the capper being a 3 OT victory over Kansas. But the Kansas game came at a cost. 5’10” Sophomore guard, Allison Weidner was lost for the season with a knee injury. Weidner had started and scored 13 points in both conference games.

Surprisingly, Weidner’s replacement was ready to go. After being declared out for the season with a knee injury, 5’9” graduate guard and Gopher annoyance, Sam Haiby, returned to full time action against Kansas. Haiby is averaging 11.9 points and 5.9 rebounds in 29.4 minutes per game in Big Ten play.

Unfortunately for the Huskers conference play became a struggle. Shortly after battling Indiana to an overtime loss, they dropped an ugly 45-57 game to Rutgers. Their conference wins were Maryland, Wisconsin, Penn State, Purdue, Michigan State and Northwestern leaving them 6-8 in the B1G. It’s a safe bet that the win over the Terps is the gas keeping their NCAA hopes aloft. With games against Minnesota, Iowa, Illinois and Northwestern remaining, The Huskers can’t afford a loss to the Gophers on Wednesday night.

The other starters:

6’3” sophomore forward Alexis Markowski was last season’s Freshman of the Year and currently has a five game double double streak. She is averaging 10.9 points and 10.1 rebounds in 26.8 minutes per game.

6’2” Junior forward Isabelle Bourne has a five game double digit scoring streak which includes 18 in Sunday’s loss to Michigan. She averages 12.3 points and 5.8 rebounds in 30.1 minutes of play.

5’9” junior guard Jaz Shelley averages 12.3 points and 6.1 assists in 29.4 minutes per game.

5’9” sophomore guard Maddie Krull averages 6.9 points in 27.9 minutes per game.

Other players:

6’3” sophomore forward Annika Stewart continues to shoot threes with occasional success in 11.5 minutes of play.

6’2” sophomore forward Kendall Coley averages 8 minutes per game and hasn’t scored in her last four appearances.

Nebraska is hungry for a win after suffering a narrow 80-75 loss at No. 12 Michigan on Sunday. Alexis Markowski, a 6-3 sophomore from Lincoln, led four Huskers in double figures with 18 points and 18 rebounds. The Lisa Leslie Award Top 10 contender is averaging a double-double with 12.4 points and 10.0 rebounds per game on the season after notching her fifth consecutive double-double against the Wolverines. Her 18-board effort in Ann Arbor moved Markowski into a tie for the league rebounding lead with Kendall Bostic from Illinois.

Jaz Shelley added a double-double of her own with 14 points and 10 assists at Michigan. The 5-9 guard from Moe, Australia (pronounced MO-ee) owns three double-doubles on the year and leads Nebraska in scoring (12.6 ppg), assists (6.4 apg) and steals (1.6 spg) on the season.

Sam Haiby continues to surge for the Big Red, increasing her quickness, explosiveness and endurance after missing 10 of Nebraska's first 11 games with an injury. The 5-9 graduate guard from Moorhead, Minn., added 10 points at Michigan for her fifth consecutive game in double figures. In seven career games against Minnesota, Haiby has averaged 16.6 points, 5.4 rebounds and 3.6 assists while producing double-figure points in each of the seven contests.

Isabelle Bourne, a 6-2 junior from Canberra, Australia, matched Markowski for team-high scoring honors at Michigan with 18 points. Bourne has produced double figures in five consecutive games and is averaging 16.2 points and 6.2 rebounds during that stretch to increase her season averages to 11.8 points and 6.4 boards per game.

Maddie Krull (Omaha, Neb.) rounds out Nebraska's starting five with 5.6 points, 2.0 rebounds and 1.9 assists on the season. Krull has scored in double figures in four of the last 10 games

Good shooting and only 2 turnovers so far. Keep it up!

They won right at the end. Gradwell with a 3 with one second left to win 95-92. It was tense. Five in double figures led by Braun with 27. Only 9 turnovers.

Only 9 turnovers? Great job, Gophers. Terrific bench production tonight. Braun and Katie B were really good, as was Hammond. I thought the refs got a bit whistle-happy in the second half. Gophers might have had a tough time if the game had gone to OT, with Katie, Hammond, and Battle having foul out. It would nice to see them string together a couple wins to end the regular season.

Very happy for them, agree that the refs were whistle happy. It’s good to see this team execute when they reduced the TO’s. I thought we would see more of this team we saw tonight than what we have. Hopefully gives them the confidence that they can do this and finish strong.

Exciting game! Well done by many tonight!

20230215_211129.jpg

I love a good shoot out-especially when the best shooters on the court, Shelley and Braun, are doing it.

I also loved watching Nebraska and Amy Williams's frustration as their NCAA hopes ooze farther away

Fouls and all, it was a strangely enjoyable game

And not to forget Cayton with the foul of the night grabbing Haiby. It looked intentional even though Cayton and Whalen's reactions said otherwise. Haiby had very little going tonight whcih was great break for the Gophers

I'd be okay to not see two of those REFS again.. two of them were apart of the OSU game here too.. and all the fouls on us MAKE TOTAL sense now.. same as OSU game..

HAMMOND was the X-FACTOR tonight for me 12 points and had some KEY baskets..

Mara was the Mara we saw early on in the season.. 9-13 for 28 points and 7 rebounds

Battle might have struggled from the field tonight but she had some key baskets.. 12/8/5 (yes a silly FRESHMAN foul at the end)

Rose played well 16 points, 6-7 from the FT line..

Katie PLAYED under control tonight and ended with 15 points, 3-5 from deep and 6 assists

Izzy with the GAME WINNER 3.. and 8 points!

Mal 2 point but 8 rebound and 3 assists..

9 TO's and 21 ASSISTS , 40 rebounds

52 FOULS called and 66 FT's

Last edited:

And not to forget Cayton with the foul of the night grabbing Haiby. It looked intentional even though Cayton and Whalen's reactions said otherwise. Haiby had very little going tonight whcih was great break for the Gophers
just re-watched the final minute.. Haiby hooked Cayton there Cayton was just standing there.. and Haiby hooked her..

just re-watched the final minute.. Haiby hooked Cayton there Cayton was just standing there.. and Haiby hooked her..
I sit on the other side of the floor and to me it looked like Cayton got both arms around Haiby. I just checked the replay and while Cayton didn't grab her with both arms, she did (at least to me) impede Haiby by getting her right arm across Haiby's chest. Haiby hacked down on the arm; but the foul was already committed. Then again I wasn't as peturbed by the reffing as most of the crowd.

I sit on the other side of the floor and to me it looked like Cayton got both arms around Haiby. I just checked the replay and while Cayton didn't grab her with both arms, she did (at least to me) impede Haiby by getting her right arm across Haiby's chest. Haiby hacked down on the arm; but the foul was already committed. Then again I wasn't as peturbed by the reffing as most of the crowd.
I was thinkin ball don't lie.. as she missed both..

The home crowd was all over Haiby on her free throws to attempt to take the lead very late. I am sure that along with the pressure was helpful in Haiby's 2 misses. Crowd was great late!!!

The home crowd was all over Haiby on her free throws to attempt to take the lead very late. I am sure that along with the pressure was helpful in Haiby's 2 misses. Crowd was great late!!!
We probably need Camy, Enterline and Hall to work more games in order to fire up the Gopher crowd. Although, Amy Williams went after Brian Hall pretty hard during a Husker posession in the first half.

Speaking of Haiby, what has happened to two other Minnesotans-Stewart and Coley? Yes, Stewart fouled out in 9 minutes; so she was noticed; but not a factor otherwise.

Great to get the win. Lots of good things, though I was pretty disappointed with our defense for much of the game. I thought Katie B was pretty good defensively, and I thought Cayton was excellent on Haiby for that stretch in the final couple of minutes. Our close-outs on 3's were pretty bad for most of the game though. I was a little upset that Rose lost her cool again because she wasn't happy with a foul call. She can't be committing flagrant fouls because she's pissed. Tough calls happen to everybody-deal with it.

Loved the contribution from our bench, and was especially impressed on the game-winning 3 from the corner. Looked like a very confident shot, from a player that I doubt Nebraska thought would be taking it. Pretty sure that they were focused on Braun, Rose or maybe Heyer getting the look. Good to see Izzy knock it down after so many doubts of her ability to hit shots lately.

Loved the fact that once Nebraska decided to take Rose away in the post, the Gophers found other ways to score. Good to see Braun back offensively, and though she had some really awful defensive moments in the first half, she picked things up a bit late in the game.

Obviously, the turnover number was great. Usually, coaches feel if you can keep the turnover number under 12, you're giving yourself a fair chance to win. Now the challenge is to keep taking care of the ball for the rest of the season.

Great to get the win. Lots of good things, though I was pretty disappointed with our defense for much of the game. I thought Katie B was pretty good defensively, and I thought Cayton was excellent on Haiby for that stretch in the final couple of minutes. Our close-outs on 3's were pretty bad for most of the game though. I was a little upset that Rose lost her cool again because she wasn't happy with a foul call. She can't be committing flagrant fouls because she's pissed. Tough calls happen to everybody-deal with it.

Loved the contribution from our bench, and was especially impressed on the game-winning 3 from the corner. Looked like a very confident shot, from a player that I doubt Nebraska thought would be taking it. Pretty sure that they were focused on Braun, Rose or maybe Heyer getting the look. Good to see Izzy knock it down after so many doubts of her ability to hit shots lately.

Loved the fact that once Nebraska decided to take Rose away in the post, the Gophers found other ways to score. Good to see Braun back offensively, and though she had some really awful defensive moments in the first half, she picked things up a bit late in the game.

Obviously, the turnover number was great. Usually, coaches feel if you can keep the turnover number under 12, you're giving yourself a fair chance to win. Now the challenge is to keep taking care of the ball for the rest of the season.
Husker fan near us yelled NOPE! when Izzy released her 3 point shot. Never heard a peep out of them again as they slinked out of the Barn.

Nice to see them win. I must be a jinx, I finally cannot go to a home game and the team wins. Wonder if I should stay home for the Big 10 tournament? Probably a good thing as I would have been into it with the officials and yelling at them more than necessary.

Nice to see them win. I must be a jinx, I finally cannot go to a home game and the team wins. Wonder if I should stay home for the Big 10 tournament? Probably a good thing as I would have been into it with the officials and yelling at them more than necessary.
Well, in an empty Barn, I'm sure your voice is heard!

no more games in person for you.. just kidding just kidding

Lots of good and bad. Really happy with the senior leadership in this game. Mara seemed to have an extra pep in her step all game. Katie was solid. I hope she stays. (There was that one comment about her thinking of not, no idea if there is any truth)

The games that have been bad, have been terrible…..

However I still believe there seems to be chemistry, and no one has thrown in the towel. I like that.

Random thoughts:

Anyone else surprised at the contributions they're getting from Hammond? And she seems to be getting better as the season progresses.

I'd be ecstatic if Katie B could play like that every night. Good decision-making, some nice assists, better outside shooting. Again too many fouls. I like the aggressive defense, but still too many ill-advised fouls.

I think Rose picks up some additional fouls because she is so damn strong. And kudos to her and maybe also Coach Shimmy, as Rose, during the season, has now been able to learn when to pass the ball out when she is double-or triple-teamed.

Mara seemed to be hunting shots last night. Great to see that. She's a very talented offensive player. My hope is that she'll get stronger if the off-season, as she gets bumped around quite a bit on offense and defense. She's had games this year where she has disappeared for quarters and it would be nice to see this happen less. She should be able to get more open shots now that Rose is able to identify the double teams. And yes, Mara needs to get better defensively. The good news is that her defensive shortcomings are not due to lack of effort.

As has been pointed out, last night's loss may have been an NCAA tourney hope dagger for the Cornhuskers. And a less than stellar return to Minnesota for Haiby, Stewart and Coley.

I don't watch the bench or the coaches as much as Iggy does, but I have noticed that this team continues to cheer for each other and appears to have good chemistry. Good to see them smiling again and I hope they can continue to get better between now and the end of the year. If they can continue to get better, that might give them something to build on.

Random thoughts:

Anyone else surprised at the contributions they're getting from Hammond? And she seems to be getting better as the season progresses.

I'd be ecstatic if Katie B could play like that every night. Good decision-making, some nice assists, better outside shooting. Again too many fouls. I like the aggressive defense, but still too many ill-advised fouls.

I think Rose picks up some additional fouls because she is so damn strong. And kudos to her and maybe also Coach Shimmy, as Rose, during the season, has now been able to learn when to pass the ball out when she is double-or triple-teamed.

Mara seemed to be hunting shots last night. Great to see that. She's a very talented offensive player. My hope is that she'll get stronger if the off-season, as she gets bumped around quite a bit on offense and defense. She's had games this year where she has disappeared for quarters and it would be nice to see this happen less. She should be able to get more open shots now that Rose is able to identify the double teams. And yes, Mara needs to get better defensively. The good news is that her defensive shortcomings are not due to lack of effort.

As has been pointed out, last night's loss may have been an NCAA tourney hope dagger for the Cornhuskers. And a less than stellar return to Minnesota for Haiby, Stewart and Coley.

I don't watch the bench or the coaches as much as Iggy does, but I have noticed that this team continues to cheer for each other and appears to have good chemistry. Good to see them smiling again and I hope they can continue to get better between now and the end of the year. If they can continue to get better, that might give them something to build on.
If Katie could shoot like that every night she'd be awesome. I'm willing to live with her "force the ref to make the call" aggresiveness.

I agree, Braun was looking for her shots. It was something she did early in the season.

Random thoughts:

She's been a solid contributor and the even more surprising thing to me is that she is playing WAY out of position. Can't be too many 5-11 "center"s in D1.

Top Bottom