B1G Game 11: Gophers Host Rutgers (2-2-20)

Was at a Super Bowl party and pretty much had everyone watching the game, everyone was impressed by the Gophers heart and determination, have not always been on the Kehinde Bello band wagon but she showed up today. I think Adashchyk really frustrated them defensively. I thought this team quit when they played Wisconsin, so glad they represented on ESPN 2. Glad Pitts was at the game cheering them on, would love it if she rejoined team.

This was my first chance to see the Gophs live this year. A few thoughts.

Rutgers makes you work for everything. Not often you see a team press for the entire game. The Gophers did make some nice adjustments after the first few minutes but it definitely caused problems throughout the game. This was the first I've seen Scalia look like she was made uncomfortable by the speed of the game. She missed a couple bunnies and sometimes looked like she was more concerned about where the defense was coming from than making a play. She, Hubbard and Masha struggled to get open on the wings in the half court. Rutgers just stuck with them and I think that was the cause of a lot the plays where Powell ended up with ball up top with the shot clock running out.

Masha's steal and wrong footed reverse layup was absolute gold.

Powell has taken a big step forward in running the point. Like most talented freshman there are times when she just wants to attack. She is getting a better feel for when to slow the pace.

Great to see Bello really regain her focus. She was a monster today and I can't say enough her free throw shooting today.

Minnesota Head Coach Lindsay Whalen
On the Gophers’ defense:
“That is just all heart. Heart and determination. Not getting down when some shots weren’t going, but we made enough. That is just all heart and teamwork. Without that we aren’t sitting here with a win tonight. Obviously Gadiva (Hubbard) on Arella Guirantes with the second half and both overtimes, she did a great job. Taiye (Bello) came over a lot and was able to help, as well. We tried a little zone. Masha (Adashchyk) had her for a little bit, too. It was all-in-all a team effort to be able to stop a team of Rutgers’ caliber. It is a team effort.”

On Taiye Bello’s performance: “She willed us to win and played like an All-American tonight; 22 rebounds and 15-for-19 from the free throw line. She hit two free throws at the end of regulation to tie the game and send us into overtime. That is as clutch as it gets. She also got fouled on a three. She just willed us. Four blocked shots, two steals, three assists. She got fouled 12 times. She willed the team to win.”

On Jasmine Brunson: “Yeah. She didn’t play in the second half. She’s continuing to get with the medical staff, and we will have an update at some point. She had Arella Guirantes in the first half and did a great job. She helped us get the ball through their press, as a point guard having to try to break that every time. She did a great job getting us through that and setting up our offenses when they were pressing the whole time.”

On Jasmine Powell stepping up and going 10-10 at the free throw line: “What can you say? To have to go in as a freshman for 48 minutes against that press and to get the ball in the right people’s hands, that is next level stuff as a point guard; 10-for-10 from the line and she gets five rebounds for us, four assists. She played with so much composure and poise, and I feel that as the game went she gained more composure and more poise. In the first and second overtime you wouldn’t think it was an overtime and you wouldn’t think she was a freshman. She played well beyond her years and we needed every second and everything she gave us tonight.”

On Taiye Bello’s 22 rebounds and how it matches up to top rebounders: “Taiye Bello and Rebekkah Brunson have a different will to go get the ball, the way they move as the ball is going to the basket. They read their teammates’ shots to figure out where it is coming off. But then at the end of the day, rebounding is just all about heart. I have been very fortunate in my career to play with Rebekkah Brunson for nine years and now coach Taiye for these first years in my coaching career. To have somebody that just has that much heart to get the ball that many times and never stop. It is just something that they have. They just have that heart and they will to go get it done.”

Minnesota senior Taiye Bello
On she was able to hit two free throws late in regulation:
“Just staying in the moment and not trying to get ahead of myself.”

On the sequence when she was fouled shooting a 3-pointer: “It’s just wanting it more I think and just having that synergy with your teammates. Just saying this is our game. I think we were able to execute and, like coach was saying, our defense really helped us win this game because we were getting good shots, but obviously when you play Rutgers being able to have them stay in front of you is really important.”

On having a 20+ rebound game against Rutgers in back-to-back years: “They are always a fun team to play against because they are really nitty-gritty so you have to sit down and will your way through the game, so it was fun.”

Minnesota redshirt junior Gadiva Hubbard
On how big the win was:
“It’s very big, I will start off with that. But definitely our defense, it's always fun to win a game off of defense, your offense just flows when your defense is going good. So it was just a very fun game.”

On Taiye Bello’s performance tonight: “Taiye, I don’t even know what to say. She willed us to this win. All of her big moments, fouled on a 3-pointer, the putbacks at the end, the free throws at the end, all of the rebounds she had, she saved us.”

On her big fourth quarter performance: “It felt good, the bank three, I did not call it. I saw it going towards the backboard so I was like,’it has a chance at going in.’”

On the defense succeeding despite struggles on offense: “I felt like we didn’t hang our heads in the huddles. We talked about how we needed to get a stop and how that is more important than getting a basket. If we don’t score, they don’t score and I think we did a very good job of holding us to that.”

Rutgers Head Coach Vivian Stringer

On the defensive play on both sides tonight: “It was real intense. I think that we basically had to worry about two players on our team. We really did need our centers. I’m just disappointed because we needed a whole lot more contribution from a lot of our players. But the sad part about it is, we tried and I didn’t think we were capable of doing anything. I thought that they were tough, they were on the boards, they rebounded. Of course this was the best free throw shooting team in the Big Ten, so when you foul that's what they do. I think they made 30 foul shots so they do what they do and that's the way they won. They played great defense, we should have played better defense without fouling, although we played a hard defense because we played the length of the floor and that's not easy.”

On the play of Taiye Bello: “She does what she wants to on us quite honestly, we just bowed down. We let her, and not only let her because she’s a very talented player, she did what she wanted to do because she is highly skilled and she put us in check. Instead of us playing aggressively, there was nothing we could do. I wish there was some inside people that had done a better job of rebounding and attacking instead of a soft shot.”

On her accomplishments being honored for Black History Month: “I think that here at the University of Minnesota you guys have done an outstanding job of recognizing it. Far better than a lot of other programs. So I recognize that. Yes, its Black History Month but a lot of people don’t do anything, it’s just business as usual.”

On how she feels about the game: “Some of the things we saw our players do today, I think that quite frankly it's an attempt to be better. But we have to deal with and handle pressure situations much better. As I shared with them, Minnesota is a real fine team. Coach (Lindsay) Whalen has done a great job with the players. Their players, one through five, did a much better job of contributing quite frankly to the success that they have had. We are not as consistent as we need to be, we need to have people that do what they are supposed to do. If you are supposed to get this many rebounds, that is a given, it shouldn't be something that we are hopeful and prayer full that we get. You might say we did a much better job against Illinois; Illinois is a nice team, we need to step up to this team because this team has done some outstanding work. Yet, we got to two overtimes and lose the game. They got a whole bunch of foul shots, that they deserved, but they took advantage of it.”

On Taiye Bello being fouled on a 3-pointer: “Many things were turning points. We stepped into the lane on a foul shot, even the foul shot that was taken where we decided to miss the foul shot was different because we hadn’t practiced that. But obviously, Bello was a grown lady out here today and unfortunately she demonstrated she was who she was. At the end of the day I think that if you are legitimate in your position then you can do that against anybody 90% of the time and we didn’t. So I don’t accept us, do we have a moral victory? No.”

I put together the last 0:38.2 of regulation, the last 0:33.7 of the first OT, and the last 0:37.4 of OT2. Even though it has no commercials, it has all the timeouts and commentary throughout. It turned out to be a 20 minute video.

Most rebounds by a Gophers player in a Big Ten game:

29: Amanda Zahui B., vs. Iowa, Feb. 7, 2015

27: Zahui B., vs. Michigan (2OT), Feb. 21, 2015

23: Molly Tadich, vs. Northwestern, Jan. 22, 1984

22: Taiye Bello, vs. Rutgers (2OT), Feb. 2, 2020

Most rebounds by a Gophers player in a Big Ten game:

29: Amanda Zahui B., vs. Iowa, Feb. 7, 2015

27: Zahui B., vs. Michigan (2OT), Feb. 21, 2015

23: Molly Tadich, vs. Northwestern, Jan. 22, 1984

22: Taiye Bello, vs. Rutgers (2OT), Feb. 2, 2020
And AZB also had 22 rebounds in a 2015 NCAA playoff game, not mentioned here since they restricted it to Big-Ten games.

Where do Taiye's free throw attempts, 19, and makes, 15, rank in the Gopher Record Book:

From the Gopher Media Guide:

Free Throws Made
1. 21 Linda Roberts vs. Rhode Island 12/1/79
2. 15 Rachel Banham at Michigan State 2/21/16
3. 14 Kenisha Bell vs. Green Bay 3/16/18
14 Rachel Banham at Northwestern 2/7/16
14 Shae Kelley vs. Wisconsin 2/11/15
14 Rachel Banham vs. Miami 12/5/13
14 Lindsay Whalen vs. Creighton 12/4/03
14 Carol Ann Shudlick vs. Kansas State 12/21/93
14 Carol Peterka at Iowa 2/26/84
14 Marty Dahlen vs. Iowa State 3/12/82

Free Throw Attempts
1. 25 Linda Roberts vs. Rhode Island 12/1/79
2. 18 Kenisha Bell at Rhode Island 11/13/17
18 Carol Peterka at Iowa 2/26/84
4. 17 Kenisha Bell at Indiana 2/6/19
17 Kenisha Bell vs. San Diego 11/17/18
17 Kenisha Bell vs. Green Bay 3/16/18
17 Carol Ann Shudlick vs. Kansas State 12/21/93
8. 16 Done 8 times; MR: Kenisha Bell at Illinois 2/25/18

Where do Taiye's free throw attempts, 19, and makes, 15, rank in the Gopher Record Book:

From the Gopher Media Guide:

Free Throws Made
1. 21 Linda Roberts vs. Rhode Island 12/1/79
2. 15 Rachel Banham at Michigan State 2/21/16
3. 14 Kenisha Bell vs. Green Bay 3/16/18
14 Rachel Banham at Northwestern 2/7/16
14 Shae Kelley vs. Wisconsin 2/11/15
14 Rachel Banham vs. Miami 12/5/13
14 Lindsay Whalen vs. Creighton 12/4/03
14 Carol Ann Shudlick vs. Kansas State 12/21/93
14 Carol Peterka at Iowa 2/26/84
14 Marty Dahlen vs. Iowa State 3/12/82

Free Throw Attempts
1. 25 Linda Roberts vs. Rhode Island 12/1/79
2. 18 Kenisha Bell at Rhode Island 11/13/17
18 Carol Peterka at Iowa 2/26/84
4. 17 Kenisha Bell at Indiana 2/6/19
17 Kenisha Bell vs. San Diego 11/17/18
17 Kenisha Bell vs. Green Bay 3/16/18
17 Carol Ann Shudlick vs. Kansas State 12/21/93
8. 16 Done 8 times; MR: Kenisha Bell at Illinois 2/25/18
Thanks!

So, Taiye's tie (at 15) for second most Free Throw Makes (spoken about in the Recap) is actually a tie with Rachel Banham.

Right behind them (at 14 FT Makes) is an 8-way tie - and among that tie are Kenisha Bell, Rachel Banham again (twice), and (how cool!) Lindsay Whalen. To beat out your coach - hmmm - do they call that braggin rights?

Taiye's sole ownership (at 19) of second most Free Throw Attempts (also mentioned in the Recap) actually bumps former second place (at 18) Kenisha Bell and Carol Peterka down to third place. Kenisha Bell also has three instances of (now) 4th place tie (at 17) along with Carol Ann Shudlick.

Any time you bump Kenisha Bell and Carol Ann Shudlick down a notch, you know you did something.

But to me, the 2nd place FT Makes is the more important record of the two. Because (to use an extreme example), if you shot 19 Free Throws but only made 10, then that's not so impressive, (And in fact, Powell made 10 FT yesterday in a non-record-setting 10 attempts - although the 10 FT attempts and makes was probably a personal best for Jasmine.)

Last edited:

Powell is getting comfortable running Point. They are playing defense and moving and passing the ball more often. Will getting Pitts back at this juncture be a positive or a negative?

Powell is getting comfortable running Point. They are playing defense and moving and passing the ball more often. Will getting Pitts back at this juncture be a positive or a negative?
Is there any concrete evidence Destiny Pitts is/may be coming back? Or is it only wishful speculation by fans?

Is there any concrete evidence Destiny Pitts is/may be coming back? Or is it only wishful speculation by fans?
Just fan speculation since she was at the game. She transferred at a weird time so shes still in school here and most likely just supporting her friends on Sunday. I wouldnt expect it to happen.

She got tripped towards the end of the half and went down hard, not sure if her head hit the court or not but she got up slow.
If I remember that play, Brunson got tripped from what looked like behind, on a fast break that she otherwise would have made, and they called a foul, but we just got the ball out of bounds (if I remember correctly) as they didn’t call it a shooting foul. She got tripped up so fast/hard that she wacked the deck before she could initiate any shooting motion.

Is there no such thing as a clear path foul in the NCAA? If there’s a clear-path rule, then why wasn’t it enforced there?

Seems like a bad idea to let defensive players get away with something like that. If you’re allowed to stop a fast break from behind (with no free throws assessed) by simply hooking the breaker’s ankles, there’s gonna be a lot of nasty injuries.

In this particular case, I’m not sure you could prove intentional foul (like the elbow). But running over the fast breaker’s ankles is certainly not a legit basketball move.

Now we’ve got an injured Jasmine Brunson from two illegitimate Rutgers plays in one game, resulting in what looks like two separate blows to the head, one from a sharp elbow and the other from the floor. And we haven’t heard yet, but possible concussion protocol (which you can’t take lightly). Should we be sending film to the Big Ten?

Last edited:

If I remember that play, Brunson got tripped from what looked like behind, on a fast break that she otherwise would have made, and they called a foul, but we just got the ball out of bounds (if I remember correctly) as they didn’t call it a shooting foul. She got tripped up so fast/hard that she wacked the deck before she could initiate any shooting motion.

Is there no such thing as a clear path foul in the NCAA? If there’s a clear-path rule, then why wasn’t it enforced there?

Seems like a bad idea to let defensive players get away with something like that. If you’re allowed to stop a fast break from behind (with no free throws assessed) by simply hooking the breaker’s ankles, there’s gonna be a lot of nasty injuries.

In this particular case, I’m not sure you could prove intentional foul (like the elbow). But running over the fast breaker’s ankles is certainly not a legit basketball move.

Now we’ve got an injured Jasmine Brunson from two illegitimate Rutgers plays in one game, resulting in what looks like two separate blows to the head, one from a sharp elbow and the other from the floor. And we haven’t heard yet, but possible concussion protocol (which you can’t take lightly). Should we be sending film to the Big Ten?
I was out of town, so watched it on ESPN2. If I remember correctly on the play, the refs went and looked at the monitor. The announcers thought they were looking for a flop.

I was out of town, so watched it on ESPN2. If I remember correctly on the play, the refs went and looked at the monitor. The announcers thought they were looking for a flop.

After the foul, the shot clock reset to :30. Referee Kevin Pethtel noticed the reset and Bev Roberts, who had called the foul, went to the monitor to confirm that the shot clock should read :27. There were no shots because Rutgers only committed 3 fouls in the quarter and Jasmine wasn't shooting. You can hear the referees talking about checking the clock even as Brooke Weisman was rambling about her high school days.

After the foul, the shot clock reset to :30. Referee Kevin Pethtel noticed the reset and Bev Roberts, who had called the foul, went to the monitor to confirm that the shot clock should read :27. There were no shots because Rutgers only committed 3 fouls in the quarter and Jasmine wasn't shooting. You can hear the referees talking about checking the clock even as Brooke Weisman was rambling about her high school days.
I did a little googling, and near as I can tell, there’s no clear path foul rule in NCAA, only in NBA and WNBA.

Seems dangerous not to have that rule.

Also, if you trip a fast breaker one millisecond before they shoot, in my opinion that should be called a shooting foul. It’s obvious that Brunson planned to shoot within a millisecond or three.

From my point of view, the lack of these rules is encouraging some of the less-than-moral NCAA players to injure their opponents, just to save them two points.

Meanwhile, CVS was on the sidelines, arguing that Gopher players were being too physical!

According to a very reliable source there is absolutely no discussion going on between the staff or Destiny regarding her return to the team. She is still a student here because the U was nice enough to let her keep her scholarship through this academic year.

According to a very reliable source there is absolutely no discussion going on between the staff or Destiny regarding her return to the team. She is still a student here because the U was nice enough to let her keep her scholarship through this academic year.
GREAT!! If she was allowed to come back, Lindsay and the athletic department would look bad. Also, that would be telling the team, it's ok to quit, we'll take you back. These girls have stepped up and re-made themselves and the team. Of coarse it took a few losses to do so, but they will be fine. I think they actually look better without her. There's no longer one person shooting majority of the shots. Definitely better team play.

I did a little googling, and near as I can tell, there’s no clear path foul rule in NCAA, only in NBA and WNBA.

Seems dangerous not to have that rule.

Also, if you trip a fast breaker one millisecond before they shoot, in my opinion that should be called a shooting foul. It’s obvious that Brunson planned to shoot within a millisecond or three.

From my point of view, the lack of these rules is encouraging some of the less-than-moral NCAA players to injure their opponents, just to save them two points.

There is no "clear path" foul but I assume such a foul falls under the intentional foul rule: Article 1a.
(I'm pretty sure we've seen it called when a player grabs the jersey of a player escaping for a fast break bucket for example).

Section 13. Intentional Foul
Art. 1. An intentional foul is a player-contact foul which, in the judgment of the official, is:
a. Not a legitimate attempt to make a direct play on the ball;
b. Contact designed to negate an opponent's obvious advantageous position;
c. Contact away from the ball against an opponent who is clearly not involved in the play, designed to stop the game clock or prevent it from starting;
d. Contacting an opponent making a throw-in. This act shall also serve as a team warning for reaching through the boundary. (See Rule 4-9.1.g.);
e. Excessive, hard and/or unnecessary contact against an opponent; and
f. Illegal contact caused by the swinging of an elbow that is deemed excessive or unnecessary.

GREAT!! If she was allowed to come back, Lindsay and the athletic department would look bad. Also, that would be telling the team, it's ok to quit, we'll take you back. These girls have stepped up and re-made themselves and the team. Of coarse it took a few losses to do so, but they will be fine. I think they actually look better without her. There's no longer one person shooting majority of the shots. Definitely better team play.

I get the sense that something like this happened. Destiny not getting into the program to play team ball. Maybe Whalen's patience ran out. Things erupted between coach and team leader. Unfortunately, it became a public spectacle. This picture here doesn't look like Whalen complimenting Pitts on her outstanding play.

I think the team struggling together through the loses will help them form an identity and will help the team gel together under Whalen's culture and system.

We saw what consecutive loses eventually did to the Gophers Football team.

1580853668714.png

I get the sense that something like this happened. Destiny not getting into the program to play team ball. Maybe Whalen's patience ran out. Things erupted between coach and team leader. Unfortunately, it became a public spectacle. This picture here doesn't look like Whalen complimenting Pitts on her outstanding play.

I think the team struggling together through the loses will help them form an identity and will help the team gel together under Whalen's culture and system.

View attachment 7055
I'm sure Whalen is firing Pitts up not yelling at her... be careful speculating from just a still image

GREAT!! But for a different reason. I’m glad the U didn’t unpay her Winter term that her scholarship probably already paid for. She’s gonna have to sit idle for 3 major semesters of basketball, so it would add insult to injury to cause her to sit idle academically for a semester too.

> If she was allowed to come back, Lindsay and the Athletic Department would look bad.

News flash: I’m fairly certain (although in the end it’s my opinion that I just believe to be highly probable) that the Athletic Department looks very bad in any event. To me, neither Lindsay nor Destiny look very bad at all. They had some kind of disagreeable event of some sort (the nature of which we’ll probably never know), but it should have been settled with a calm reasoned discussion (or three) in Lindsay’s office. Somehow it got escalated out of hand (again we don’t know how). But I believe that the most likely culprit for why it ended so badly, is the horrible structure and rules of the Athletic Department disciplinary system per se, plus the failure of Coyle to step in and say “whoa, let’s stop and figure this out.” Others will (and have) seen it differently, and that’s fine. But to me, the Athletic Department and Coyle look horribly incompetent in their handling of this affair.

A hypothetical: How do you think avid Football fans would react if, just before our bowl game, the starting quarterback was suspended for “bad body language”? And somehow Coyle wasn’t able to negotiate peace between the quarterback and PJ.

View attachment 7055
I was able to capture two instances of Pitts and Whalen. Nebraska at end of half and Northwestern end of 3rd quarter. In the first, Pitts pulls away from Whalen as she puts her hand on her shoulder to talk to her. In the second, Pitts refuses to slap Whalen's hand even though Whalen makes an effort towards her. Pitts returned to the court on the 4th and then was on the bench later for remainder of game. Unfortunately, I captured MP4 clips and this site won't let me attach them. If someone knows how, let me know and I will post them. I am sure that these were part of the issue. The fact that it took place over more than the span of a game one can assume that this was brewing for awhile.

GREAT!! But for a different reason. I’m glad the U didn’t unpay her Winter term that her scholarship probably already paid for. She’s gonna have to sit idle for 3 major semesters of basketball, so it would add insult to injury to cause her to sit idle academically for a semester too.

>

News flash: I’m fairly certain (although in the end it’s my opinion that I just believe to be highly probable) that the Athletic Department looks very bad in any event. To me, neither Lindsay nor Destiny look very bad at all. They had some kind of disagreeable event of some sort (the nature of which we’ll probably never know), but it should have been settled with a calm reasoned discussion (or three) in Lindsay’s office. Somehow it got escalated out of hand (again we don’t know how). But I believe that the most likely culprit for why it ended so badly, is the horrible structure and rules of the Athletic Department disciplinary system per se, plus the failure of Coyle to step in and say “whoa, let’s stop and figure this out.” Others will (and have) seen it differently, and that’s fine. But to me, the Athletic Department and Coyle look horribly incompetent in their handling of this affair.

A hypothetical: How do you think avid Football fans would react if, just before our bowl game, the starting quarterback was suspended for “bad body language”? And somehow Coyle wasn’t able to negotiate peace between the quarterback and PJ.
It appears the whole situation was handled badly by all parties concerned. I think it especially reflects poorly on mature leadership at the U that they could not remedy a situation that was pretty straightforward in comparison with other more complex past problems in other programs. "If she [Pitts] was allowed to come back, Lindsay and the Athletic Department would look bad." What's more important to the Administration and the coaching staff, keeping themselves from looking bad or protecting the welfare of the student athletes?

I was able to capture two instances of Pitts and Whalen. Nebraska at end of half and Northwestern end of 3rd quarter. In the first, Pitts pulls away from Whalen as she puts her hand on her shoulder to talk to her. In the second, Pitts refuses to slap Whalen's hand even though Whalen makes an effort towards her. Pitts returned to the court on the 4th and then was on the bench later for remainder of game. Unfortunately, I captured MP4 clips and this site won't let me attach them. If someone knows how, let me know and I will post them. I am sure that these were part of the issue. The fact that it took place over more than the span of a game one can assume that this was brewing for awhile.

Upload them on YouTube.

One of Rutgers' mysteries is solved:

Noga Peleg Pelc has left the Rutgers women's basketball team due to personal reasons, effective immediately. She has declared her intention to enter the NCAA transfer portal.

The Even Yehuda, Israel native played in 40 games for the Scarlet Knights – 32 as a freshman and eight as a sophomore this season – with 186 points and 45 made three-point field goals.

"The Rutgers women's basketball family thanks Noga for her contributions to the Scarlet Knights," said head coach C. Vivian Stringer. "We are proud that Noga became a fan-favorite and is loved by so many. We wish her the absolute best in everything the future holds for her."

Noga last appeared for Rutgers in a victory at Penn State on Jan. 16. She scored a season-high eight points and made two clutch substitution free throws in the final 30 seconds subbing in for an injured foul shooter.

Top Bottom