B10 Winter/Spring Season in Domes

MN-Moose

Reaction score
Nebraska AD talking about the plans for football.

"The league — including NU — is now turning its focus to a football season that will start sometime in 2021, potentially in January. Moos is on a committee that oversees scheduling of the potential season. Wisconsin A.D. Barry Alvarez is the chair of the committee.
Moos was bullish on playing a fall season, so the winter start isn't nearly as appetizing to him or Nebraska's leaders. A plan that centers on playing games around domed stadiums in the Midwest would deny Nebraska and other schools of home games even as the Big Ten is able to recover at least some of its TV revenue money. There is "no perfect plan," Moos said. "

Bring them to US Bank Stadium. The Twin Cities can sure use Husker moolah spread around town.

Nebraska AD talking about the plans for football.

"The league — including NU — is now turning its focus to a football season that will start sometime in 2021, potentially in January. Moos is on a committee that oversees scheduling of the potential season. Wisconsin A.D. Barry Alvarez is the chair of the committee.
Moos was bullish on playing a fall season, so the winter start isn't nearly as appetizing to him or Nebraska's leaders. A plan that centers on playing games around domed stadiums in the Midwest would deny Nebraska and other schools of home games even as the Big Ten is able to recover at least some of its TV revenue money. There is "no perfect plan," Moos said. "
Nebraska said they will do what ever they can to play football. So man up and move on. Looks like a lot of games in Minneapolis this winter. They can play neutral game sites (Iowa vs Neb at US Bank).

How smart is the Big Ten, though? Looking better and better all the time, and will continue to be as the fall "seasons" of the Foolish 3 trudge on, with players and coaches getting sick.

More control with limited sites, and they can learn from what went bad this fall.

Bring them to US Bank Stadium. The Twin Cities can sure use Husker moolah spread around town.

Also they're pretty nice fans. Nice to have them around.*

*I'm pretending there will be fans, don't take this from me... i need this for a few months...

How smart is the Big Ten, though? Looking better and better all the time, and will continue to be as the fall "seasons" of the Foolish 3 trudge on, with players and coaches getting sick.

More control with limited sites, and they can learn from what went bad this fall.
Just because they test positive doesn't mean they are "sick" most are asymptomatic and feel nothing. Also you ever heard of a false negative when they first starting testing the test where only around 52% accurate not sure how accurate they are now

Wonder if they look at three mini bubbles using the domes in MN, IN, MI. Not sure logistically how/if it might work. I'm sure they are looking at several options and we'll get bit and pieces over the next months...

I suppose this represents a compromise of sorts. Starting in January allows games to be played and players to be evaluated before the NFL draft. that might convince more draft-eligible players to participate, if they want to improve their draft status. for underclassmen, it provides more time off before the Fall season.

Nice to see some level of problem solving and exploring options for FB. We are going to continue to learn more about this " novel " virus. The fact that some people struggle with the uncertainty of what that means makes this process more difficult.

There probably will be limited fans, if any.
Things can change by January. But the advantage of the indoor stadiums for weather is a disadvantage for allowing fans. Zimmer is already complaining about it regarding the Vikings. The chances they will allow 70K in there is almost zero. Maybe 20%-30%.

There's a lot of nice natural light in US Bank stadium.... I could see it being a good 'bio dome' sort of experiment...

It's interesting that we don't think things will change hardly at all between now and November or December to be able to play football, but we're somehow pretty darn sure that from November/Dec to January it is going to improve dramatically enough to be able to suddenly be able to play football?

That's one helluva crystal ball

It's interesting that we don't think things will change hardly at all between now and November or December to be able to play football, but we're somehow pretty darn sure that from November/Dec to January it is going to improve dramatically enough to be able to suddenly be able to play football?

They're just making provisional plans, they will likely be postponed or cancelled.

Wonder if they look at three mini bubbles using the domes in MN, IN, MI. Not sure logistically how/if it might work. I'm sure they are looking at several options and we'll get bit and pieces over the next months...
I was even thinking they could use four of them: IN and MI for the east games, and MN and maybe St Louis for the west. Or if they really had to could look at the dome at Northern Iowa or even using Miller Park in Milwaukee.

I was even thinking they could use four of them: IN and MI for the east games, and MN and maybe St Louis for the west. Or if they really had to could look at the dome at Northern Iowa or even using Miller Park in Milwaukee.
Ideally they should be in Big Ten states, which Missouri is not. I like the idea with Miller Park! Wonder how feasible that would be. The Tommie-Johnnie game in Target Field was reasonable.

That was the problem with people who said spring football the whole time.

even back last spring when people said spring football.

Honestly if they were going to move the season they should’ve played it in July and August 2020

IF there actually is this spring season (and that's a big IF) I still think the Big Ten comes out looking genius on all this. I think the fall season will be a stop-start fiasco filled with drama and asterisks.

The fall season might look like one big watered down fail. The spring season might look like a novel return to normalcy that gains a larger-than-normal following. Where the Big Ten is on center stage and the Rose Bowl is the premier event of the spring sports schedule. All speculative but possible.

Even in that scenario there is still going to need to be some sort of tolerance for risk to have a spring season.

IF there actually is this spring season (and that's a big IF) I still think the Big Ten comes out looking genius on all this. I think the fall season will be a stop-start fiasco filled with drama and asterisks.

The fall season might look like one big watered down fail. The spring season might look like a novel return to normalcy that gains a larger-than-normal following. Where the Big Ten is on center stage and the Rose Bowl is the premier event of the spring sports schedule. All speculative but possible.

Even in that scenario there is still going to need to be some sort of tolerance for risk to have a spring season.
This made my chili luke warm.

I'd take it, but cold weather locations during the peak of flu and cold season?

Ideally they should be in Big Ten states, which Missouri is not. I like the idea with Miller Park! Wonder how feasible that would be. The Tommie-Johnnie game in Target Field was reasonable.

St. Louis is a reasonable site for Nebraska, Iowa, , Wisconsin , Illinois and even Indiana to get to quickly. The old dome (30 years old?) is pretty good and probably not very active since the Rams left.

The Miller park idea is interesting. With the history of the Packers playing in Milwaukee, I am surprised they did not try to make Miller Park a little easier to consider playing a game in once in while, pre-season or otherwise.

I am not sure if being inside is such a big deal, and I would bet the players would dress remotely (tents, hotels, ect) and not sit in the locker rooms much.

For outside options, the NFL stadiums in Baltimore, Cincinnati, Nashville, and DC/Virginia might work, if the weather cooperates in January.

All irrelevant since 20 year old healthy football players are not going to die in of COVID at higher levels than lightning strikes regardless of what is done.

Last edited:

Yes, the dome in STL would be a good option for Illinois, NW, and Iowa. Wisc and Nebraska (barely) are closer to Mpls. Iowa City is actually smack dab in the middle of Mpls and STL.

It's just barely in the wrong state, is all. But, maybe they won't care that much.

That of course assumes the stadium is still in shape to host football games. After the Rams left there were a lot of bitter folks in STL, and I wouldn't be surprised if they converted it into more permanent convention/concert/show space, without a football field available.

That of course assumes the stadium is still in shape to host football games. After the Rams left there were a lot of bitter folks in STL, and I wouldn't be surprised if they converted it into more permanent convention/concert/show space, without a football field available.

The St Louis XFL team played in that stadium THIS YEAR. It probably took you longer to type that than it did for me to look it up.

Just because they test positive doesn't mean they are "sick" most are asymptomatic and feel nothing. Also you ever heard of a false negative when they first starting testing the test where only around 52% accurate not sure how accurate they are now
I've heard that many times and often wonder to myself; then why get tested if they don't feel sick?. Obviously they must be having symptoms of some kind if they need to be tested.

Top Bottom