B10 Coaches talk anonymously about other B10 Coaches.

The extreme level of Tressel
Ball that we’ve played the last several years is certainly not going to ignite any sort of ground swell of enthusiasm for the squad. It’s painful to watch. PJ had a chance for long-term change post 2019 but he has let it slip away.
You've got one hell of an insufferable hate boner for PJ, but I'll give you credit for sticking to it.

Covid took away any momentum Fleck had from 2019. Let’s hope we can have another 11 win season and can take advantage of it for recruiting and fan enthusiasm.
I think adjusting to NIL and the transfer portal had a greater impact. Things appear to be heading in the right direction in those areas. There's reason to be optimistic I believe.

I think success and building a true loyal following that you see in Iowa City or Lincoln are quite different. I don't know if there has been more than a couple of stories about Gopher football since the start of Spring Ball. Maybe a few news jottings, but can't think of many true stories.

I don't know a lot about all the schools on. your list, but schools like Miami and UCLA can really struggle with attendance. Schools like Ohio State are 90 minutes from Cincinnati and 2 hours from Cleveland and outside of the Jazz, the closed professional sport to Utah is 6-7 hours away.

Washington to me is the outlier on your list with sustained success and have a pretty loyal following... guessing if the Gophers had the success they would have a similar following if they had the same success over the past 25 years.

I might be wrong, but I think right now is a perfect example. I would assume the vast majority of the traditional sports fans haven't thought of a Gopher athletic team for months and 100% of their focus is on the Timberwolves.
In the last 25 years, the gap between U-Dub and UMN is not very big: 1717618880125.png

You've got one hell of an insufferable hate boner for PJ, but I'll give you credit for sticking to it.
No, I don’t. I give him credit for almost everything but for what he rolls out as game plans on Saturdays. I thought top to bottom considering the expectations going into the year that the game day experience
in 23 was the worst I can remember — and I’m old. The prior two years overall weren’t great, either. You can say the Iowa game was watchable because we ended up winning, but they played the Pillsbury Doughboy at quarterback. Otherwise, I challenge anyone to say one of our games last year was fun to watch. I don’t even really care if we didn’t win the Big Ten West when it was there for the taking or win every game we’re supposed to. I’m consistently on his ass maybe even more than I should be because I think it’s for the most part swept under the rug here. On any given Saturday, you can click around to what 30 different games on TV and I would argue that ours are the almost always the most boring and at times exasperating ones to watch. The dude needs to change his best. If the majority of the folks on here thought the games last year were even mildly entertaining or worth the investment in time and resource, then God bless you.

No, I don’t. I give him credit for almost everything but for what he rolls out as game plans on Saturdays. I thought top to bottom considering the expectations going into the year that the game day experience
in 23 was the worst I can remember — and I’m old. The prior two years overall weren’t great, either. You can say the Iowa game was watchable because we ended up winning, but they played the Pillsbury Doughboy at quarterback. Otherwise, I challenge anyone to say one of our games last year was fun to watch. I don’t even really care if we didn’t win the Big Ten West when it was there for the taking or win every game we’re supposed to. I’m consistently on his ass maybe even more than I should be because I think it’s for the most part swept under the rug here. On any given Saturday, you can click around to what 30 different games on TV and I would argue that ours are the almost always the most boring and at times exasperating ones to watch. The dude needs to change his best. If the majority of the folks on here thought the games last year were even mildly entertaining or worth the investment in time and resource, then God bless you.
It's swept under rug because last year was one bad year proceeding multiple seasons of better than typical results following decades of poop. You can nitpick shit all you want across individual games, but PJ has earned the right to have a dud season on occasion, because we were due. And we still won a bowl game in the dud season. I don't think anyone would care if we had the worst rated offense in the country if we won the conference title, these little things don't matter. Wins and losses matter. Fleck has a philosophy when it comes to offense, he doesn't change it, and familiarity breeds competence. He sticks to his beliefs, and that's the way he should be. It's his show until it isn't. I don't disagree that the offense was frustrating, but it didn't have the piece an offense needs to hum. Qb.

Last year we were completely hamstrung by poor qb play, defenses knew what was coming, and we still ran the ball well. Fleck is not going to wow you unless he has the weapons to do it, and that starts at qb. This year may be better, worse, or the same. I'd argue we'll have better results. We have an upperclassman qb with college experience and we'll look better in the air. And maybe you'll be happy, or at least have to find something else to be upset about. I'm just busting your balls but you're always super unsatisfied with everything and it's a drag, dude.

What are you on? In the last 25 years Washington has finished in the top 10 four times, won a Rose Bowl and Sugar Bowl. Played in other major NYD bowls, and has
four conference championships. The gap is real.
I was thinking the same thing. I don't know what the overall win/loss difference is between the Gophers and Washington but the top end isn't comparable. Last year alone was a better season than any Gopher season in over 50 years.

Top Bottom