B10 Coaches talk anonymously about other B10 Coaches.

The funny thing is that we worry about this all the time and it hasn't happened in football since Lou Holtz. We're super insecure.
How many times since Holtz have we had a coach who put himself in position to be pirated away?
Two good years in a row in the last thirty years are pretty seldom in Gopher basketball or football.

Timing is the bugaboo...coaches need the couple good seasons in a row but the opening they covet may not be open at that time. Holtz made it clear before he started at Minnesota that Notre Dame was his dream job. Sometimes you gotta speak things into existence.

How many times since Holtz have we had a coach who put himself in position to be pirated away?
Two good years in a row in the last thirty years are pretty seldom in Gopher basketball or football.

Timing is the bugaboo...coaches need the couple good seasons in a row but the opening they covet may not be open at that time. Holtz made it clear before he started at Minnesota that Notre Dame was his dream job. Sometimes you gotta speak things into existence.
Scarlett Johansson in my bedroom in a slip bringing me a salami sandwich.

60's Guy, your theory is a crock of crap!🤣

Scarlett Johansson in my bedroom in a slip bringing me a salami sandwich.

60's Guy, your theory is a crock of crap!🤣
Well, you have chosen a pretty tough ask...you need diligence in your quest. But most of all you need patience. She is married. BUT, she is on her third marriage so there's a chance.

Your desires might be a tad too specific. Sexy girl in my bedroom seems possible...screw the sandwich....it is messing up the vibe. Okay amend the dream....chant "sexy girl in my bedroom" when you get up in the morning and before you go to bed at night. Go to the gym each day for an hour. Sometime before three years go by I'm very confident your dream will come true.

Just don't miss any days chanting!
You are welcome :)

Who knows, maybe UCLA had no plan going into their coach search but it seems weird to me they would pick Foster over Fleck. There might have been something they didn't like about Fleck so they didn't offer him the job but it seems much more likely Fleck was offered and he turned it down.

Did you see the men’s bball hire?
I think he’s meaning in the new super conference era we should have more money to throw and options to court as well be more desirable so we don’t have to end up with an unknown like Ben.

I don't understand the whole "other things to do/pro sports/metro" argument that people use for the Gophers. Other schools in the same situation that have had plenty of athletic success in the 2000's with the same metro environment:

University of Washington
Miami
Stanford
USC/UCLA
TCU/SMU
Cincinnati
Georgia Tech
ASU (not super great recently but won PAC south in 2012)
Ohio State
Maryland
Pittsburgh
Utah

Schools a short drive out of major Metro city with multiple professional Sports:
Colorado
Kansas
Michigan
Oklahoma
I think success and building a true loyal following that you see in Iowa City or Lincoln are quite different. I don't know if there has been more than a couple of stories about Gopher football since the start of Spring Ball. Maybe a few news jottings, but can't think of many true stories.

I don't know a lot about all the schools on. your list, but schools like Miami and UCLA can really struggle with attendance. Schools like Ohio State are 90 minutes from Cincinnati and 2 hours from Cleveland and outside of the Jazz, the closed professional sport to Utah is 6-7 hours away.

Washington to me is the outlier on your list with sustained success and have a pretty loyal following... guessing if the Gophers had the success they would have a similar following if they had the same success over the past 25 years.

I might be wrong, but I think right now is a perfect example. I would assume the vast majority of the traditional sports fans haven't thought of a Gopher athletic team for months and 100% of their focus is on the Timberwolves.

I think success and building a true loyal following that you see in Iowa City or Lincoln are quite different. I don't know if there has been more than a couple of stories about Gopher football since the start of Spring Ball. Maybe a few news jottings, but can't think of many true stories.

I don't know a lot about all the schools on. your list, but schools like Miami and UCLA can really struggle with attendance. Schools like Ohio State are 90 minutes from Cincinnati and 2 hours from Cleveland and outside of the Jazz, the closed professional sport to Utah is 6-7 hours away.

Washington to me is the outlier on your list with sustained success and have a pretty loyal following... guessing if the Gophers had the success they would have a similar following if they had the same success over the past 25 years.

I might be wrong, but I think right now is a perfect example. I would assume the vast majority of the traditional sports fans haven't thought of a Gopher athletic team for months and 100% of their focus is on the Timberwolves.
I totally agree about IC and Lincoln and I think a key driver to that is the fact that all of our smaller D2 schools compete against us in hockey which cannibalizes our fanbase because MSU/UMD/Bemidji/SCSU have rivalries/hate us in hockey and it bleeds over. Everyone I've ever met that went to a smaller NE/IA/WI school roots for the major D1 school in their state.

I would argue that's mostly because it's a down time of year for college athletics and unless something is newsworthy like a transfer, job change, new recruit, etc. there's not much to write about while they're in their offseason. We also didn't have really any noteworthy success in our spring sports other than some track athletes making it to nationals and McCauley making NCAA's in Golf. May is also when many athletes are home before summer workouts. We will experience the same thing when the Timberwolves offseason starts (unless a signing happens/trade/draft etc.),.

Miami and UCLA are outliers for attendance because both of their stadiums are 30 minute (with no traffic) drive from campus. Remember how terrible it was when the Gophers games were at the Metrodome? If they were on campus it would be drastically different. FWIW, both STILL had better overall attendance than Minnesota on average from 2018-2022.

Ultimately, the Gophers have not put a priority on athletic success like many of the other metro schools and ultimately that will lead to a larger fanbase and getting buy in from locals. I grew up in the middle of no where SWMN and almost all teams I rooted for growing up outside of the Gophers were blue bloods (Duke, USC football, etc.) because those are the teams I saw the most of/heard the most from and had the coolest gear. Since I've moved away from MN I've heard so many "Row the Boats" from random people because that is what they associate Minnesota sports with now due to our recent success in football. I totally agree that if we can put together consistent Top 25 seasons our fanbase/outlook will signficantly change and could trickle down to other sports.

I totally agree about IC and Lincoln and I think a key driver to that is the fact that all of our smaller D2 schools compete against us in hockey which cannibalizes our fanbase because MSU/UMD/Bemidji/SCSU have rivalries/hate us in hockey and it bleeds over. Everyone I've ever met that went to a smaller NE/IA/WI school roots for the major D1 school in their state.

I would argue that's mostly because it's a down time of year for college athletics and unless something is newsworthy like a transfer, job change, new recruit, etc. there's not much to write about while they're in their offseason. We also didn't have really any noteworthy success in our spring sports other than some track athletes making it to nationals and McCauley making NCAA's in Golf. May is also when many athletes are home before summer workouts. We will experience the same thing when the Timberwolves offseason starts (unless a signing happens/trade/draft etc.),.

Miami and UCLA are outliers for attendance because both of their stadiums are 30 minute (with no traffic) drive from campus. Remember how terrible it was when the Gophers games were at the Metrodome? If they were on campus it would be drastically different. FWIW, both STILL had better overall attendance than Minnesota on average from 2018-2022.

Ultimately, the Gophers have not put a priority on athletic success like many of the other metro schools and ultimately that will lead to a larger fanbase and getting buy in from locals. I grew up in the middle of no where SWMN and almost all teams I rooted for growing up outside of the Gophers were blue bloods (Duke, USC football, etc.) because those are the teams I saw the most of/heard the most from and had the coolest gear. Since I've moved away from MN I've heard so many "Row the Boats" from random people because that is what they associate Minnesota sports with now due to our recent success in football. I totally agree that if we can put together consistent Top 25 seasons our fanbase/outlook will signficantly change and could trickle down to other sports.
I agree with most of everything you said. I think the U of M would have a larger fan base statewide if it was in Rochester, Mankato, etc. You'd have a true college town to escape to. I think in the Twin Cities the Vikings always get the attention and then whoever has the hot hand will be the second team in town.

Agree with you on the "Row the Boats" and truly feel that PJ is the first coach (at least that I can remember) that can garner attention nationwide.

I agree with most of everything you said. I think the U of M would have a larger fan base statewide if it was in Rochester, Mankato, etc. You'd have a true college town to escape to. I think in the Twin Cities the Vikings always get the attention and then whoever has the hot hand will be the second team in town.

Agree with you on the "Row the Boats" and truly feel that PJ is the first coach (at least that I can remember) that can garner attention nationwide.
The only thing that would change if our campus was in Rochester or Mankato is fewer fans would attend games due to the longer drive to get there.

The only thing that would change if our campus was in Rochester or Mankato is fewer fans would attend games due to the longer drive to get there.
You think cities with metro populations of 100k-200k wouldn't draw enough people to games from the community when there is nothing else going on in the area? Are the twin cities the only place with football fans in the state? Your logic makes no sense.

You think cities with metro populations of 100k-200k wouldn't draw enough people to games from the community when there is nothing else going on in the area? Are the twin cities the only place with football fans in the state? Your logic makes no sense.
UMD won a couple of national titles in football in 2008 and 2010, their success in a 100k+ area didn't create any kind of explosion in interest or attendance - and their stadium only seats 4500. The logic isn't absurd. There's a whole bunch of things to do before and after a Gopher game in the Cities. Driving to Rochester is like driving to Minot, bigger city in the middle of nothing. There ain't shit to do there. Duluth arguably has a nicer area with more things to do than Rochester and Mankato combined, still nothing after winning national titles. The Gophs live and die with the metro, it's where the resources are and its a driver for attendance, not a detriment.

UMD won a couple of national titles in football in 2008 and 2010, their success in a 100k+ area didn't create any kind of explosion in interest or attendance - and their stadium only seats 4500. The logic isn't absurd. There's a whole bunch of things to do before and after a Gopher game in the Cities. Driving to Rochester is like driving to Minot, bigger city in the middle of nothing. There ain't shit to do there. Duluth arguably has a nicer area with more things to do than Rochester and Mankato combined, still nothing after winning national titles. The Gophs live and die with the metro, it's where the resources are and its a driver for attendance, not a detriment.
There are many examples of similar sized communities with P5 teams that have no trouble packing a 70k + seat stadium to see the only show in town. The fact that these places are otherwise boring as hell makes it more likely that people from close radius would attend home games in my view. You and the OP make it sound like the vast majority of attendees would come from the twin cities and I'm saying that wouldn't necessarily be the case.

There are many examples of similar sized communities with P5 teams that have no trouble packing a 70k + seat stadium to see the only show in town. The fact that these places are otherwise boring as hell makes it more likely that people from close radius would attend home games in my view. You and the OP make it sound like the vast majority of attendees would come from the twin cities and I'm saying that wouldn't necessarily be the case.
So if the campus is in Mankato we gain a bunch of fans in that relatively small community, keep all the fans that are in the metro, increase attendance and fan interest? I’m not seeing it. The most popular team in Mankato is still going to be the Vikings.

Minnesota is a geographically isolated state that is surrounded from the east, west, and south by low population density states around it (two of which contain rival programs) and a different country to the north. Most other programs that are the only show in town have a ton of significantly sized cities to draw people from within a reasonable driving distance, IE the south, east coast, Ohio Valley, etc. MSP is a huge Midwestern hub people go to, there are no major population centers to draw from around it. My argument is that there would be no logic to move from the cities because it's a centralized location with tons of amenities for hundreds and hundreds of miles, and the best access for non-Cities fans if traveling by air. I'd argue that greater than 3/4 of attendees live in the metro anyways. And this is coming from a guy who drives from the Range on weekends to watch home games. I would love to see the Gophers play in Duluth for convenience, for example, but attendance would drop like a bomb. This seems like a cart before horse thing. You've gotta be really good for a really long time if you want to draw people to Timbuktu.

So if the campus is in Mankato we gain a bunch of fans in that relatively small community, keep all the fans that are in the metro, increase attendance and fan interest? I’m not seeing it. The most popular team in Mankato is still going to be the Vikings.
It will always be the Vikings even if we win several consecutive national titles. The pro game is and always will be king. We need to lose the inferiority complex over it, and hope for the U to try to use having the Vikings in town as leverage, especially with NIL. We should be doing soemthing creative with the Vikings to draw players. If we were to do that, I guarantee we'd see our first five star sooner than later. I have no idea how that would work but we're really ignoring a golden goose by not trying to do something with them, especially now.

For UCLA coach I thought DeShaun Foster was the internal promotion, former school star, well-liked choice without much competition. I don't believe Fleck seriously was offered. Foster was the guy.

For UCLA coach I thought DeShaun Foster was the internal promotion, former school star, well-liked choice without much competition. I don't believe Fleck seriously was offered. Foster was the guy.
IF UCLA truly chose Foster when PJ was an option they are out of their minds stupid. I have no inside info but I would be shocked if Foster was plan A.

on the location of the school, I can see both sides, based on my experience living in WI, IA and MN.

In IA, the Hawkeyes are the only game in town. there are some Iowa State fans, but for much of the state, it's all about the Hawkeyes. an Iowa home game is the biggest event of the week for many people in the state.

In WI, the Badgers are also a big freakin' deal. yes, people follow the pro sports teams, but there is geographical separation. It's a 90-minute drive from Madison to Milwaukee, and over 2 hours to Green Bay, not counting time to park, etc. Game day in Madison is an event. tailgating, sponsor tents, frat parties, State Street is jumping.

in MN, the Gophers are just another entertainment option. all of the pro teams are just minutes away from the Gopher campus. plus concerts, shopping, arts, etc. Going to a Gopher game is just a game, it's not a special event for most people.

If the U of MN campus had originally been located in Rochester, Duluth, etc, it would take more effort to get to a Gopher game, but the game would also stand out. it would be IMHO more of a special event.

on the location of the school, I can see both sides, based on my experience living in WI, IA and MN.

In IA, the Hawkeyes are the only game in town. there are some Iowa State fans, but for much of the state, it's all about the Hawkeyes. an Iowa home game is the biggest event of the week for many people in the state.

In WI, the Badgers are also a big freakin' deal. yes, people follow the pro sports teams, but there is geographical separation. It's a 90-minute drive from Madison to Milwaukee, and over 2 hours to Green Bay, not counting time to park, etc. Game day in Madison is an event. tailgating, sponsor tents, frat parties, State Street is jumping.

in MN, the Gophers are just another entertainment option. all of the pro teams are just minutes away from the Gopher campus. plus concerts, shopping, arts, etc. Going to a Gopher game is just a game, it's not a special event for most people.

If the U of MN campus had originally been located in Rochester, Duluth, etc, it would take more effort to get to a Gopher game, but the game would also stand out. it would be IMHO more of a special event.
Another thing that factors into all of this is that hockey is huge in MN, and there's a huge hockey footprint among smaller colleges across the state. If the U was the only hockey team, I'd bet fandom would trickle outwards to other sports, including footvall. Instead, the U is a rival to most of those outstate programs and most people would rather look at the U generally as a rival if I'm UMD, Mankato, Bemidji, SCSU, etc. That might not be a major factor but I think it factors into people choosing to not follow any other U sports, because they're an opposing school. I got shit on relentlessly when I went to UMD for being a Gopher football fan just because it was the U. People don't care that it's the only D1 football program in the state, they're still the bad guy in a lot of people's eyes.

Another thing that factors into all of this is that hockey is huge in MN, and there's a huge hockey footprint among smaller colleges across the state. If the U was the only hockey team, I'd bet fandom would trickle outwards to other sports, including footvall. Instead, the U is a rival to most of those outstate programs and most people would rather look at the U generally as a rival if I'm UMD, Mankato, Bemidji, SCSU, etc. That might not be a major factor but I think it factors into people choosing to not follow any other U sports, because they're an opposing school. I got shit on relentlessly when I went to UMD for being a Gopher football fan just because it was the U. People don't care that it's the only D1 football program in the state, they're still the bad guy in a lot of people's eyes.
This is definitely a thing with a lot
Of my interactions.

people don't care about CFB because we've been shit for 60 years. This isn't that hard a concept. If we get better consistently, and make it so that attending games is more fun than watching on your 60in screen at home, you will get people there. as far as fandom around the state, you won't get a sniff from many people until you actually win something for the first time in most peoples' lives, not just win some games.

Look at what's happened in attendance for Gopher hockey who was a dead zone for multiple years now that they've gotten back to being consistently good and can draw on their history and put people in the stands in spite of tickets still being expensive.

The vikings get the benefit of being the only pro football team in the state and pro football will always be king. there are different "types" of fans and diehards that are unique to CFB, but most casual football people will always follow the NFL more as it's the "best" league, same as NHL>NCAA hockey, pro baseball over college or AAA, NBA>G league or CBB.

people don't care about CFB because we've been shit for 60 years. This isn't that hard a concept. If we get better consistently, and make it so that attending games is more fun than watching on your 60in screen at home, you will get people there. as far as fandom around the state, you won't get a sniff from many people until you actually win something for the first time in most peoples' lives, not just win some games.

Look at what's happened in attendance for Gopher hockey who was a dead zone for multiple years now that they've gotten back to being consistently good and can draw on their history and put people in the stands in spite of tickets still being expensive.

The vikings get the benefit of being the only pro football team in the state and pro football will always be king. there are different "types" of fans and diehards that are unique to CFB, but most casual football people will always follow the NFL more as it's the "best" league, same as NHL>NCAA hockey, pro baseball over college or AAA, NBA>G league or CBB.
2019 did create a ton of momentum for us among the "casual" fans. I have more friends reach out to me to talk about the Gophs now than I did before that season. 8/9 win seasons do catch peoples' eyes, it just doesn't always equate into attendance/committed fandom. I had a lot of "What the fuck is up with the Gophers?" questions last season from people who never used to care one iota. Those of us on this board are in the vast minority in terms of commitment to the team

2019 did create a ton of momentum for us among the "casual" fans. I have more friends reach out to me to talk about the Gophs now than I did before that season. 8/9 win seasons do catch peoples' eyes, it just doesn't always equate into attendance/committed fandom. I had a lot of "What the fuck is up with the Gophers?" questions last season from people who never used to care one iota. Those of us on this board are in the vast minority in terms of commitment to the team
agreed entirely. but they also know you're the person who is more hardcore (I get similar text messages from people). Has to hit a tipping point of enough of a string of those "big" types of years or winning one at some point and you will get them in the seats or more engaged. 9 win seasons will get people to check box scores (maybe), but a conference title bid would've done so so much more for this team statewide that's been title hungry for decades.

Because life is oh so miserable in Minnesota. I’m sure he’s been suffering greatly at his lakeside vacation home.
LA or Lake Minnetonka, I know which one I would choose...

Honestly I think the Madison to Milwaukee comparison to Minneapolis and Rochester is pretty legit.

The extreme level of Tressel
Ball that we’ve played the last several years is certainly not going to ignite any sort of ground swell of enthusiasm for the squad. It’s painful to watch. PJ had a chance for long-term change post 2019 but he has let it slip away.

The extreme level of Tressel
Ball that we’ve played the last several years is certainly not going to ignite any sort of ground swell of enthusiasm for the squad. It’s painful to watch. PJ had a chance for long-term change post 2019 but he has let it slip away.
Covid took away any momentum Fleck had from 2019. Let’s hope we can have another 11 win season and can take advantage of it for recruiting and fan enthusiasm.

Top Bottom