B10 Coaches talk anonymously about other B10 Coaches.

NoelarBear

Reaction score

Minnesota​

“They’re never dull, that’s for sure."

"I think [head coach] P.J. [Fleck] chased UCLA and some other jobs pretty hard to get out of there, and it didn’t happen for him."

"The transfer quarterback from FCS [Max Brosmer] could be a really exciting player in that offensive system. He’s already a captain for them, so they really believe he can be a game-changer for their offense."

"The new defensive coordinator [Corey Hetherman] is known for a big attacking scheme from when he was an FCS coordinator [at James Madison]. It will be interesting to see how that translates to this league. Minnesota doesn’t have the kind of personnel that can allow you to blitz like that.”

Who do we think wrote the UCLA line? And are these head coaches or assistants off the record?

Because life is oh so miserable in Minnesota. I’m sure he’s been suffering greatly at his lakeside vacation home.

I always enjoyed this (and maybe only this) yearly feature from Athlon but this edition was the weakest, most vanilla collection of talking points I’ve ever seen, so much so that it sounds like a writer writing things he thinks a coach might say. Zero insight and would a coach really believe eg Illinois started their slide in 2022? They had a really good defense that year, finished second in the West. A writer might mess that up…

If he would have won a couple more games last year he’s most likely gone right now IMO
This isn't directed towards you, but more just me speaking into the ether on this sentiment. Over PJ's tenure it's something we've heard a lot, and something I have worried about. I'm sort of at peace with whenever he leaves. I really have trust that we can hire another solid coach (maybe not great, but solid).
Until then, row baby, row!

Maybe, but not UCLA
That is a bad job that opened at a terrible time in the cycle
Agree, I think we can all agree Minnesota has a lot working against it - pro sports, metro area, things to do outside of Gopher athletics.... but for everything Minnesota has, LA literally has two of... baseball - Dodgers, Angels... football - Rams, Chargers... Basketball - Clippers, Lakers... Colleges - USC, plus a few other D1s

Minnesota​

“They’re never dull, that’s for sure."

"I think [head coach] P.J. [Fleck] chased UCLA and some other jobs pretty hard to get out of there, and it didn’t happen for him."

"The transfer quarterback from FCS [Max Brosmer] could be a really exciting player in that offensive system. He’s already a captain for them, so they really believe he can be a game-changer for their offense."

"The new defensive coordinator [Corey Hetherman] is known for a big attacking scheme from when he was an FCS coordinator [at James Madison]. It will be interesting to see how that translates to this league. Minnesota doesn’t have the kind of personnel that can allow you to blitz like that.”
all of these comments are rather ?

dull? we run a bland offense, we've overall been pretty quiet in the portal, and we haven't had any "scandals" other than Stahl making shit up

UCLA job? there's no evidence of this anywhere

Brosmer? we have like a million captains every year

personnel? weve put a bunch of defensive backs and pass rushers in the league in the last several seasons and most of our draft prospects for next year are on the defensive side. blitzing in today's league is a risk-reward proposition with how games are called and blitzing is actually an easier scheme to run (you press and try hold out rather than sitting back in a pass off zone like we've been trying to do prior) and asks less of your players in terms of "holding up" and decision-making given you expect you're going to get hit at times.

This isn't directed towards you, but more just me speaking into the ether on this sentiment. Over PJ's tenure it's something we've heard a lot, and something I have worried about. I'm sort of at peace with whenever he leaves. I really have trust that we can hire another solid coach (maybe not great, but solid).
We hear it a ton with any coach that has any modicum of success in football or men's basketball, because know-nothing outsiders think Minnesota is a joke and any coach would take any realistic opportunity they can to get out of here voluntarily. We heard it with Tubby, hell we heard it with Pitino, we definitely hear it with Fleck, I think we even heard it some with Kill. We don't hear it with Johnson because he sucks and is awful.

We hear it a ton with any coach that has any modicum of success in football or men's basketball, because know-nothing outsiders think Minnesota is a joke and any coach would take any realistic opportunity they can to get out of here voluntarily. We heard it with Tubby, hell we heard it with Pitino, we definitely hear it with Fleck, I think we even heard it some with Kill. We don't hear it with Johnson because he sucks and is awful.
The funny thing is that we worry about this all the time and it hasn't happened in football since Lou Holtz. We're super insecure.

Agree, I think we can all agree Minnesota has a lot working against it - pro sports, metro area, things to do outside of Gopher athletics.... but for everything Minnesota has, LA literally has two of... baseball - Dodgers, Angels... football - Rams, Chargers... Basketball - Clippers, Lakers... Colleges - USC, plus a few other D1s
I don't understand the whole "other things to do/pro sports/metro" argument that people use for the Gophers. Other schools in the same situation that have had plenty of athletic success in the 2000's with the same metro environment:

University of Washington
Miami
Stanford
USC/UCLA
TCU/SMU
Cincinnati
Georgia Tech
ASU (not super great recently but won PAC south in 2012)
Ohio State
Maryland
Pittsburgh
Utah

Schools a short drive out of major Metro city with multiple professional Sports:
Colorado
Kansas
Michigan
Oklahoma

I thought this was an interesting comment on Iowa:

"I don’t think anyone really knows what it’s going to look like, but the idea that [head coach Kirk] Ferentz’s son was the sole problem on offense? No way.”

I think some people have bought into that idea that getting rid of Brian F. means that Iowa's offense will suddenly turn into this completely different entity. I'm skeptical.

I wish I had the same peace of mind you do in Coyle making a good hire.

I think a lot of people are missing the point that this is a mid tier football program in what is going to be one of two superconferences in college football. Minnesota will have a lot of options, and possibly better ones than we've had in the past, if/when Fleck goes at some point down the line. I'm not super worried in any fashion as long as the person making the hires in the future isn't a total dud.

I think a lot of people are missing the point that this is a mid tier football program in what is going to be one of two superconferences in college football. Minnesota will have a lot of options, and possibly better ones than we've had in the past, if/when Fleck goes at some point down the line. I'm not super worried in any fashion as long as the person making the hires in the future isn't a total dud.
Did you see the men’s bball hire?

Top Bottom