Awkward win over Indiana proves Bo Ryan still looks like the Grinch

fryguy22

Maroon and Gold from birth
Reaction score
Discuss.

Seriously, every time I watch Wisconsin play, I cringe when I remember we lost to that team...I really hope we get a chance for redemption in the BTT.

bo-ryan-10jpg-3ab838b3c680662d.jpg

I seriously watched that game last night in order to fall asleep. I couldn't count how many times I heard 'Ten on the shot clock' from the announcers. Indiana played very well for the first 30 minutes, driving to the hoop consistently. Thought they might be able to pull it off but Taylor was just too much. If Verdell wouldn't have toed the line on his four long 2's in the first half things might been different.

Also, I cringe every time I see Mike Bruesewitz aka Captain Cabbage Patch.

I've been wondering who mother grinch has in the cupboard for next year. Taylor will certainly do well but if Bruesewitz is one of their best returners it would appear they may in a bit of trouble.

I've been wondering who mother grinch has in the cupboard for next year. Taylor will certainly do well but if Bruesewitz is one of their best returners it would appear they may in a bit of trouble.

Don't we say this every year?

Bruesewitz... Captain as a Sophomore.... that's impressive.

Yes. But, every year the next years scorers are evident, waiting in the wings to make their appearance, to claim glory, to proudly make their mark.

If someone could insert a picture of Bruesewitz, here, as the face of Wisconsin basketball I would appreciate it.

Sadly, I think Bo is a brilliant coach, a grinch to be sure, but brilliant nonetheless. Besides Taylor they got nothin' next year.

berggren, and who knows evans. but they deffinately are lacking skill wise next year.

Gasser will step up a bit, and you'll see development from the other freshman as well as Evans and Wilson. It's the same song and dance every year.

I wouldn't touch him with a 39 1/2 foot pole.

Given the choice between the two of them, I'd take the seasick crocodile.

The Badgers will never be in trouble. Honestly. They always look like they have nothing returning and then spend the entire season in the top 25.

I remember reading a post in one of the "barn atmosphere" threads that the fans at the barn need to be more like those at the Kohl Center and create a real home court advantage. I watched the second half of last nights game and the crowd in Madison were acting like they were at the opera. The atmosphere was incredibly flat for what was a close game against an historic program (even though they are currently down). At the two minute mark, with the game still in the balance, one of the announcers even made a comment about how quiet the crowd was.

You know, in a way I kind of like that Wisconsin is perennially good. It's a lot of what makes a good rivalry. It wouldn't be the same if they sucked, and it makes it sweeter when the Gophs beat them. On the other hand, it would do me good to see them tank one of these years, too.

You know, in a way I kind of like that Wisconsin is perennially good. It's a lot of what makes a good rivalry. It wouldn't be the same if they sucked, and it makes it sweeter when the Gophs beat them. On the other hand, it would do me good to see them tank one of these years, too.

They may never tank under Ryan, but I will assert that it will also be difficult for them to ever get beyond the Sweet 16 with that style of play and its reliance on the three pointer and the talent level. Bo has not historically loaded his team with can't miss NBA talent, which is usually the base of super success. One wonders how long the Red can handle a plateau before they demand something more. Fan bases are typically fickle. Could they become the 70's Vikings that hardly anyone remembers?

I think he looks more like Joel Goddard than the grinch.

Furthermore, Leuer has a heavy dose of Joran Vandersloot in him.

The thread title is sure to continue to have many incarnations this season - well done!

They may never tank under Ryan, but I will assert that it will also be difficult for them to ever get beyond the Sweet 16 with that style of play and its reliance on the three pointer and the talent level. Bo has not historically loaded his team with can't miss NBA talent, which is usually the base of super success. One wonders how long the Red can handle a plateau before they demand something more. Fan bases are typically fickle. Could they become the 70's Vikings that hardly anyone remembers?

They led North Carolina in the Elite 8 in the second half and lost 88-82. That seems pretty close.

How many programs historically load their teams with NBA talent? 5?

The Badgers have two all Big 10 players, one other nice player, some young kids not ready to play and three or four whiffs. They are what they are. They are going to win 20 something games, make the tournament and then you see what happens.

I would agree that some fans in Madison are getting antsy. I guess they are pining for the Yoder years.

Next years recruiting class looks very good. Best class in a while. Badgers will be fine.

Well, they haven't really been in the mix for the Big Ten Title in the last two years and it is early to confirm it but I don't think they will be this year either. And as far as March goes they have only been to the Sweet Sixteen once in the last 5 years (5-5 record) as compared to 2 Sweet 16's in Bo's first 4 including one elite 8 (7-4). So yes, they have fallen off from where they were but it hasn't been off a cliff. They are consistently good and that is what you can expect from them.

I think this years team is dangerous

They have two really good players surrounded by a cast who know their role and are very good at playing it. I can see Wisconsin finishing in the top 3 in the conference and making a nice tourney run .

I think the Gophers have more talent, but many more unanswered questions and thus more inconsistency. Wisconsin has more shooters and an entire roster who has bought in and knows what they are doing. We have Rodney Williams standing at the top of the key, basically unguarded too scared to shoot and looking for someone to pass to.

at least you guys are not as dumb as the people on the football board who cheer for the badgers when we don't play them

They led North Carolina in the Elite 8 in the second half and lost 88-82. That seems pretty close.

How many programs historically load their teams with NBA talent? 5?

The Badgers have two all Big 10 players, one other nice player, some young kids not ready to play and three or four whiffs. They are what they are. They are going to win 20 something games, make the tournament and then you see what happens.

I would agree that some fans in Madison are getting antsy. I guess they are pining for the Yoder years.

Next years recruiting class looks very good. Best class in a while. Badgers will be fine.

Agree.

Taylor should be even better, outstanding next year. Gasser likely will be much better. Berggren may not be at Leuer's level but he will give the Badgers even more of a post presence. Bo will put some muscle on Bresewitz and he will contribute. The recruiting class is good. Now if something happens to Taylor the Badgers will have to scramble.

Well, they haven't really been in the mix for the Big Ten Title in the last two years and it is early to confirm it but I don't think they will be this year either. And as far as March goes they have only been to the Sweet Sixteen once in the last 5 years (5-5 record) as compared to 2 Sweet 16's in Bo's first 4 including one elite 8 (7-4). So yes, they have fallen off from where they were but it hasn't been off a cliff. They are consistently good and that is what you can expect from them.

UW finished one game out of a 3-way tie for the conference title last season, while missing one of their best players for 9 of the 18 conference games. They were absolutely in contention for the title. The year before that was the 6-game losing streak. Not so much that year.

I like their 2011 recruiting class, and 2012 is off to a good start with Sam Dekker. That class and the one that follows could be really good if they are able to land JP Tokoto in 2012 and Bronson Koenig in 2013. However, I think next season could be difficult. Jordan Taylor will probably in the discussion for conference POY, but their 2008 and 2009 classes are pretty weak. I think they need guys like Jared Berggren and Jordan Gasser to make some big steps forward if UW is to be a tournament team for the 14th straight year (this season would make 13 in a row).

UW finished one game out of a 3-way tie for the conference title last season, while missing one of their best players for 9 of the 18 conference games. They were absolutely in contention for the title. The year before that was the 6-game losing streak. Not so much that year.

Whatever. You finished 4th in the conference and didn't even make it to the semifinals of the BTT (0-1 in the tournament). You then narrowly defeated Wofford and your season ended at the hands of a school that doesn't even give athletic scholarships who proceeded to rub it in your face by having their band strike up the Minnesota Rouser. If you think that compares to earlier years then I guess that is an indictment of other Wisconsin teams. I think my point is intact.

You said UW had not contended for the conference championship. What does a loss in the 2nd round of the dance have to do with that? Call it 4th place, call it whatever you like. They finished 1 game out of first. That's in contention for the league title in my book.

You said UW had not contended for the conference championship. What does a loss in the 2nd round of the dance have to do with that? Call it 4th place, call it whatever you like. They finished 1 game out of first. That's in contention for the league title in my book.

Actually I said this: "Well, they haven't really been in the mix for the Big Ten Title in the last two years and it is early to confirm it but I don't think they will be this year either. And as far as March goes they have only been to the Sweet Sixteen once in the last 5 years (5-5 record) as compared to 2 Sweet 16's in Bo's first 4 including one elite 8 (7-4). So yes, they have fallen off from where they were but it hasn't been off a cliff. They are consistently good and that is what you can expect from them."

As far as being in the mix, we're arguing semantics, but it isn't like UW was even with the others and all of a sudden lost in the last week or two because as I'm sure you know UW went on a winning streak to end the Big Ten season. We knew with weeks to go that UW needed a lot of things to go right to win it because there were 3 teams ahead of them, UW had no games remaining with any of them, and the only game between the top 3 was with PU (2 game lead over UW and MSU 1 game lead over UW) which ensured UW couldn't catch both. I'll give them credit for not being mathematically eliminated until the last week but it didn't take Nostradamus to tell us they weren't going to win it.

Would it be out of the question to say Taylor may go pro next year? I mean really, on the top of my head I can think of Kemba Walker as being a better guard than Taylor. I think he is arguably the best PG in the Big Ten and could benefit going out this year. I really hope this will may be the case because he is a beast.

Would it be out of the question to say Taylor may go pro next year? I mean really, on the top of my head I can think of Kemba Walker as being a better guard than Taylor. I think he is arguably the best PG in the Big Ten and could benefit going out this year. I really hope this will may be the case because he is a beast.

Jordan Taylor doesn't really strike me as a player who would leave early for the draft. Maybe that's just me though.

They finished one game behind last year. I am not sure what your definition of close is, but I would think that qualifies.

EDITED: I missed the other posts, sorry. I guess one game behind is not close to you. I wonder how you would feel if the Gophers football team ever finished one game behind for the conference title. You might think one game behind is close in that case.

The notion that one game behind is not "in the mix" is absurd. When you say something that is incorrect and get called on it, you look much better when you just admit you were wrong.

Top Bottom