Avante Dickerson: #2 Top Committed Prospect Who Didn't Sign Early

Another thing with going to Oregon is, even though he isn’t staying home at Lincoln, at least now he (likely) won’t be competing directly against them every year.

Minor point and may have played zero part in the final decision, but still holds true regardless.

Perfect example of why I don't trust the words of 18-year-olds when they talk about their level of "commitment" before signing on the dotted line.

Their word means nothing.

We also have Justin Walley, who is highly regarded and enrolled early. Probably the best athlete of the 3

Reactions: MRJ

Eh, most kids sign.

The rest, they're 18 and making a huge decision. I don't blame them for thinking they're committed and then changing their mind.
No blame for kids not signing. No blame for teams offering more players than they have scholarships for. It's all a game.

Is it really a lock Avante to Oregon?

There was a 247Sports Crystal Ball with 67% Nebraska to 33% Minnesota. I don't know the timeline of this.

The Husker board is abuzz about Avante's decommitment.

But, on the other hand he visited Oregon last weekend on his own dime prior to decommitting from the Gophers.

I could see a young kid visiting Oregon being impressed with the Wizard of Oz Complex theme backed by big Nike Money.

I know this will come off as "we cooled on him," but the question I've always had is: what position would Dickerson have played for the Gophers?

He's listed as a CB, but when I watched Dickerson's highlights, the first thing that popped into my head was " how's he going to set the edge against the badger's Oline, or Iowa's Oline?" With Bert now the coach at Ilinois, that's a third B1G West team that is going to try and steamroll this kid. And if he goes to nebby, things get even worse because then he has to add the Gophers to his plate every year. Covering WRs is obviously Dickerson's strength, but is he an everyday CB in the B1G West?

Dickerson is electric with ball in his hands, but both Rondale Moore and Wan'Dale Robinson have had durability problems in this league.

Does his skill set fit better in the Pac10 or Big12?

Glad I won't have to watch him returning punts and kickoffs against the Gophers.

Oregon's probably a good spot for him.
Likewise, Nebraska fans are saying the same thing about not having to watch him in Gophers uniform against the Huskers.

Lets beat the s out of him in the Rose bowl...

Lets beat the s out of him in the Rose bowl...
As watered down as the Pac12 has been, that might not be much of an accomplishment. Oregon got smashed by a very mediocre Iowa State team last month.

I think USC is going to be the big dog going forward.

As watered down as the Pac12 has been, that might not be much of an accomplishment. Oregon got smashed by a very mediocre Iowa State team last month.

I think USC is going to be the big dog going forward.
USC has made a habit of recruiting talent and ... not being the big dog for years now...

I know this will come off as "we cooled on him," but the question I've always had is: what position would Dickerson have played for the Gophers?

He's listed as a CB, but when I watched Dickerson's highlights, the first thing that popped into my head was " how's he going to set the edge against the badger's Oline, or Iowa's Oline?" With Bert now the coach at Ilinois, that's a third B1G West team that is going to try and steamroll this kid. And if he goes to nebby, things get even worse because then he has to add the Gophers to his plate every year. Covering WRs is obviously Dickerson's strength, but is he an everyday CB in the B1G West?

Dickerson is electric with ball in his hands, but both Rondale Moore and Wan'Dale Robinson have had durability problems in this league.

Does his skill set fit better in the Pac10 or Big12?

My opinion: if we're relying on our cornerbacks to "set the edge", we are screwed. Maybe I'm off-base on that, but...

My opinion: if we're relying on our cornerbacks to "set the edge", we are screwed. Maybe I'm off-base on that, but...

Ideally no. I'm no great football mind, but as I understand it, the pin-pull blocking scheme on a sweep is designed to seal the play-side DE and OLB, and leave the CB to deal with someone like Jonathan Taylor or Mo Ibrahim coming at you at 60 m.p.h.

Off the top of my head I recall during the Nebraska game there were several plays where our CBs were taking on RBs, and sometimes a blocker, and turning the sweep back inside.

Ideally no. I'm no great football mind, but as I understand it, the pin-pull blocking scheme on a sweep is designed to seal the play-side DE and OLB, and leave the CB to deal with someone like Jonathan Taylor or Mo Ibrahim coming at you at 60 m.p.h.

Off the top of my head I recall during the Nebraska game there were several plays where our CBs were taking on RBs, and sometimes a blocker, and turning the sweep back inside.

That's the goal if you are on offense, but on defense you want the DE's and OLB's to shed those blocks and set the edge.

Top Bottom