Avante Dickerson: #2 Top Committed Prospect Who Didn't Sign Early

Was hoping the story would have some insight into each player but it is literally just a list of the top 20 ranked players that gave a verbal but didn't sign in the early period. Not shocked to see a couple Auburn kids on this list and Tennessee has 4 of them.

Just kidding yall! I was signing in December after all. I just needed some extra time to get my announcement video made.

:love:

Was I the only one confused by the end? Was that a good thing we were there or not?

Who is Tyler Wrice? @brownwrice with the handshake emoji in the tweet.

Was I the only one confused by the end? Was that a good thing we were there or not?
You didn't see our logo at the end? Or are you not a Gopher fan?

Let me note his high school's logo and colors are hideous.

Our logo was there and then it vanished. Could be a sign Minnesota no more.

You just can't help yourself can you? Our logo was at the end of the video and his commitment tweet is still pinned to his twitter page.

But yeah, go searching for the negative, it's your specialty after all. Obviously no guarantee he signs in February but as of right now he still seems committed to the U of M.

So, let's just make sure we all have the correct timeline, and we're all on the same page going forward.

Oct 2018 - Iowa State offers
Jan 2019 - Minnesota offers
Mar 2019 - Nebraska offers
Apr 2019 - LSU offers
May 2019 - Iowa offers
June 2019 - Ohio State offers
Dec 12 2019 - Michigan offers
Dec 14 2019 - Dickerson unofficial visit to Ohio State (weekend after they beat Wisc in Big Ten champ game)
Dec 24 2019 - Mar 5 2020 - picks up 13 more P5 offers (lot of SEC)
Apr 17 2020 - Dickerson commits to Gophers
Dec 16 - 18 2020 - early signing period for DI football -- Dickerson decides he will wait until Feb to sign
Dec 24 2020 - Dickerson releases a Twitter video that seemingly (I guess?) signals he is still committed to Minnesota.

Feb 3 - Apr 1 2021 - regular signing period for DI football -- ???

Jan 2019 - Feb 2020 - in over a year, Dickerson never takes an unofficial visit to Minnesota, six hour car ride from Omaha (I capped it at Feb, because covid obviously would've prevented it after that)

He obviously really wanted to to play at Ohio State. What kid wouldn't? Maybe similar story with some of the major SEC programs that offered him.

Wild guessing/throwing crap against a wall:

perhaps they told him that he was #2 or #3 on their list, so if the guys ahead of him went elsewhere he would be allowed to sign with him. Maybe similar again with some of the SEC programs.

Well, come the night or two before early signing, and suddenly he gets told that he might get to sign with one of those major programs after all, he just needs to hold tight and not sign with anyone in the early period.

He complies. Then they get the guys they wanted, leaving him to fall back to the Gophers?

He obviously really wanted to to play at Ohio State. What kid wouldn't? Maybe similar story with some of the major SEC programs that offered him.

Wild guessing/throwing crap against a wall:
perhaps they told him that he was #2 or #3 on their list, so if the guys ahead of him went elsewhere he would be allowed to sign with him. Maybe similar again with some of the SEC programs.

Well, come the night or two before early signing, and suddenly he gets told that he might get to sign with one of those major programs after all, he just needs to hold tight and not sign with anyone in the early period.

He complies. Then they get the guys they wanted, leaving him to fall back to the Gophers?
Avante has always said that the most important thing for him is having a good relationship with the coaching staff. He had a really good relationship with one of the OSU coaches but that coach left to become the head coach at Boston College so the relationship was gone and both him and OSU seemed to move on. That's why Boston College was in the mix early on before he committed to MN.

Avante has always said that the most important thing for him is having a good relationship with the coaching staff. He had a really good relationship with one of the OSU coaches but that coach left to become the head coach at Boston College so the relationship was gone and both him and OSU seemed to move on. That's why Boston College was in the mix early on before he committed to MN.
Fair enough. That said, I don't think that disproves my wild guess hypothesis. Don't get me wrong, it could easily be incorrect.

There would just be 0.000% sense in not signing during early period for the reason of needing to see the campus in person, when he had over a year to do so, and did do so all the way over at Columbus, and then a week later releasing a video seeming to reconfirm his commitment here.

There had to have been something else. We'll probably never get to know that reason.

Top Bottom