Austin Hollins Tribute Thread!

victor04

Reaction score
Throughout the year he has taken a lot of heat for his play at times. During the year I was also somewhat down on him for a time, yet always was glad we at least had his solid defensive play at hand. With this said, he is the main reason we are even playing right now for the NIT title. Next year his play as of late will be truly missed, and hopefully we can get at least half of his recent success next year on a consistent basis. Really just thought a post highlighting his devoted play throughout the year was in order. Excited about next year and the new direction of the progrum (common style)

He played more games than any Gopher in program history, second in career steals and top 15 in points. A fantastic career and he will be absolutely missed.

Go Gophers!!

He played more games than any Gopher in program history, second in career steals and top 15 in points. A fantastic career and he will be absolutely missed.

Go Gophers!!

Pfft. When you play in that many games, it's gotta be easy to rack up that many steals and points!

But seriously, Austin has been among my favorite players since he was a freshman. I'll definitely miss him.

Wow, and my original post was well before his back to back 3 point plays!

Austin Hollins! Love you man!

775.gif

Big Dre to Austin for the dagger, just like it should be. They started out being frustrated when people would mistakenly call them brothers, but after becoming close, they embraced it. THat was cool to see. In Amelia's blog today she said the Hollins boys planned to have a moment after the game tonight, I'm sure it will be full of smiles. Congrats to Austin!

Very frustrated with him most of the season.. until about the last 6 games he did what we all expected him to do. But he is a class act and brought his A game at the end of the season.

Go Gophers!!

Amen. If every recruit would have Austin's career we'd be in great shape.

Great career on the court and a great person off the court. I hope he gets a chance to play pro basketball somewhere if that is what he wants to do and I think he should get the opportunity if that is what he chooses to do. Thanks to Austin for being a Minnesota Golden Gopher!

He played some great games down the stretch and I'm glad that the gophers had him for 4 years. He will be deeply missed!

Just top notch performances the last eight or so games. Stud.

I would've been shocked if he missed that 3 at the end. That's how good he has been lately, just automatic when left open and he's been clutch too.

Beat me to this post. Austin played like a senior leader the entire NIT, elevating his game to personal peak levels. He can look back with great pride on that accomplishment.

Who on the 2014-15 edition will similarly rise to the occasion. Which Dre? Mo? A spring transfer????

Why I will always be a Gopher basketball fan. You watch a guy for their whole career and it's bittersweet when an individual like Austin is done. Just a privilege to watch him grow: from a pretty scrawny freshman with potential to a guy who shook off a mid-season slump and absolutely led this team to an NIT Championship. Can't count how many key plays he made. and at times it seemed like he was a second coach on the floor. Not the goal, I'm sure, but made the best of a situation and still a great way to end a career. My favorite Gopher team added another player this year.

One of my favorite players because he plays so hard and is such a smart basketball player. I said at the beginning of this year that I thought he had NBA potential if he could be consistent with his shot. This NIT run gives me hope that he still might get a chance. I was really happy to see his dad in the stands tonight. It has to be a fun night in NYC with the Hollins family tonight! I'm absolutely thrilled for Austin.

I'd have to think he has a pro career ahead of him.....somewhere.

Thanks for a great career Austin! I think it takes some time to get used to Pitino's system. As it seems Dre still hasn't gotten comfortable with it yet either, but down the stretch, Austin redeemed himself big time. If you want to call anyone MVP of the Gophers (post season), it would be Austin.

As a long time lurker and rare poster, it was upsetting to read all the (imo) underserved hate thrown his way on this board throughout the year . I have been a huge fan since his freshman year and am so happy he was able to finish his career here like this. I think he can have a career as a reserve player in the NBA and hope he gets a chance. Thank you, Austin, you will be missed!

Last 10 games: 54.5% FG, 47.3% 3 FG, 16.6 PTS, 2.6 REB, 2.4 AST, 2.3 STL, and 1.0 TO

Great way to end your career. We will really miss him next year.

Austin will go down as one of the great Gophers not because of how many points he scored but because he always gave 100% and was a great leader as well as a great person off the court. He'll be missed.

Bravo Austin...well done! And thank you Coach Smith for recruiting such an outstanding young man who has represented himself and the U of M with pure class!

Go Gophers!!

Wow, second in steals. Well done, Austin. Second to Mel Newbern, I imagine?

It's at this point that you marvel at how fast the four years went and you can't believe it's over - both the season and his career. Thanks for being a Gopher, Austin, and welcome to the family of alumni.

Wow, second in steals. Well done, Austin. Second to Mel Newbern, I imagine?

It's at this point that you marvel at how fast the four years went and you can't believe it's over - both the season and his career. Thanks for being a Gopher, Austin, and welcome to the family of alumni.

I think he ended 2 short of tying Newbern.

What a great career Austin. You will be successful in whatever you do in life. Thanks for the memories.

Just finished watching the game on DVR. I was able to to keep from finding out who won. What a great game.

Thanks Austin for the last 4 years. Great stats as noted above. But, what I'm recalling now is his consistently heads-up defense and the strength and agility he developed on baseline drives this year.

Even when they weren't falling for him, I thought he had the sweetest looking stroke of any Gopher in the last decade.

Top Bottom