Austin Hollins of Germantown TN

Reaction score
I really like this player. 6'4" guards are nice to have. His jump shot looks really good - goes straight up off the pass, high release and great follow-through. Austin is very talented - also plays piano and sax. Also looking for good academic environment. Go Gophers!!

I really like this player. 6'4" guards are nice to have. His jump shot looks really good - goes straight up off the pass, high release and great follow-through. Austin is very talented - also plays piano and sax. Also looking for good academic environment. Go Gophers!!

I'm really surprised you commented on his jump shot. I watched the videos Myron posted before reading what you had said about him, and the first thing I thought was "Wow, slow release, awkward form"

I will agree he goes straight up off the pass and has a nice follow-through, but he took forever to get that ball out of his hand. And the shot as a whole was just weird to me.

I agree it looked slow, but I thought the whole video was slow speed. He could use some more elevation, but that can be developed. Seems like a nice young man.

Looks like a player with upside...late bloomer so to speak. Guessing our class will not be ranked by the gurus due to lack of top 100 guys..but with the talent we have now..could be a good class to fill the gaps.. If we don't land a Joseph type this fall..I expect to land a big talent next fall. Then again, I expect a good home schedule too....

I would say the odds are about 60% that he commits this weekend.

As for Joseph, let's put it this way, usually when asked about Cory,a MN coach will just roll his eyes and leaves it at that.

As for Joseph, let's put it this way, usually when asked about Cory,a MN coach will just roll his eyes and leaves it at that.

With Releford having committed to Alabama, PG recruiting is looking pretty dire.

The younger Joseph wants to go somewhere where he can star(t) at PG from Day 1.

FOT, do you know where the Gophers currently stand on either McCallum or Zeigler?
Thanks.

Form

While the form might look a little different, I didn't think his release was slower than what would be anticipated for a 17 year-old. In fact, I think that his release was sound, and he appears to be above average athletically.

Overall, there is no one in this class (sans C. Joseph) that will make this a blue-chip class. Shouldn't matter too much; the class last year makes up for a lot. All 4 kids (Mbakwe, Cobbs, White, Williams Jr) will be multi-year players who are significant contributors.

The younger Joseph wants to go somewhere where he can star(t) at PG from Day 1.
If Cory Joseph is really as good as his 5-star Rivals and Scout rankings say, then should he really be intimidated by Nolen and Cobbs?

Should he choose to go elsewhere, I hardly believe it will be because of too much point guard competition here at Minnesota.

If Cory Joseph is really as good as his 5-star Rivals and Scout rankings say, then should he really be intimidated by Nolen and Cobbs?

Should he choose to go elsewhere, I hardly believe it will be because of too much point guard competition here at Minnesota.

+1

Especially with how Nolen played last year.

I don't think the staff has soured on Zeigler.

Instead, I've read on a Michigan board that there is apparently an interesting dynamic at play with him. His dad is the coach at Central Michigan and is entering his fourth year on the job and has yet to post a winning season. Now, he inherited a 4-24 program, so the belief is he'll be back for a fifth year. But, apparently, if things go bad for this year, then there's a chance Central Michigan moves in a new direction. That leads to two things:

1) The possibility that Zeigler would commit to CMU to help his dad save his job. Most consider that unlikely.

2) Or, the more likely scenario, that Zeigler won't announce until the spring while he waits to find out his father's fate. If he is let go, then the dad will almost certainly become an assisant again at a major program (he was at Pittsburgh and UCLA before). If the father's fate is that, then it is believed that whatever school hires the dad will likely be the school the son will end up at. So, there's a chance the college he goes to isn't even in the mix right now.

So, some schools have backed off for now (while staying in some contact) knowing that this decision won't be made until his father's future is fully known and that may not be until until March or later.

If Ernie Zeigler stays as coach at CMU, then that could bode well for the Gophers come spring time because some of the other schools in the mix right now, could be without any available scholarships by the spring. Minnesota could have one left.

Well, after watching Ziegler play this summer, they we're definately down on him and had moved in other directions. Haven't heard his name mentioned in a long time. It's possible he may be brought back into the fold as a package with McCallum, but I wouldn't count on it. Both McCallum and Ziegler we're on official visits to Oklahoma this past weekend. MN has tried very hard to get McCallum in for a visit but so far hasn't had any luck. Cory Joseph, who is closely following the advice of Ro Russell, was down at Texas on a visit. Last year Texas signed one of Canada's best players Tristan Thompson. As long as Cory is listening to Russell, MN has no chance.

i'm assuming ro russell is his AAU coach? why is he so down on Minnesota?

i'm assuming ro russell is his AAU coach? why is he so down on Minnesota?

My guess is because he knows Minnesota or someone affiliated with Minnesota will not pay him or hire him to deliver Joseph to the Gophers.

My guess is because he knows Minnesota or someone affiliated with Minnesota will not pay him or hire him to deliver Joseph to the Gophers.

Or perhaps because someone is unhappy with Devoe Joesph's development?

Russel's basically built Canadian AAU basketball from scratch and made his Grassroots organization respectable and now a major player in terms of talent.

do you have any inside info on that? what would someone expect? he was just a rail thin freshman. give the kid some time

Russel's basically built Canadian AAU basketball from scratch and made his Grassroots organization respectable and now a major player in terms of talent.

No one wants to hear digs at Tubby coming from UK fans. There's plenty of that on UK boards that you can partake in. Anyone who's watched all the Gophers game could see that Devoe developed quite nicely during his freshman year, and doing that playing out of position as he's not a natural PG. Tubby and fans couldn't be happier at how Devoe performed last season.

You can take your drivel back to the hayseed boards.

Sentiment on this board was that Russell was trying to steer Devoe Joseph away from Minnesota during his recruitment, that Tubby Smith didn't engage Russell (and for that matter, other AAU coaches) in the process to Russell's liking. This division between Tubby and Russell was seemingly established before Devoe's feet ever hit the "U"'s campus.

No one wants to hear digs at Tubby coming from UK fans. There's plenty of that on UK boards that you can partake in. Anyone who's watched all the Gophers game could see that Devoe developed quite nicely during his freshman year, and doing that playing out of position as he's not a natural PG. Tubby and fans couldn't be happier at how Devoe performed last season.

You can take your drivel back to the hayseed boards.

Sorry to burst your bubble but it's more than common for AAU Coaches, High School Coaches, Parents, etc to be dissatisfied over a players Freshman season in regards to development. Happens everywhere and every coach has experienced it from Tubby Smith to Roy Williams. Just because YOU or the "fans" thought he developed nicely doesn't mean those around him agreed with your assessment.

I guess it's just easier to accuse people of cheating when you don't land a player. Based upon your repeated insulting and reactionary remarks I'm not shocked that you lack the ability to analyze anything rationally.

Considering Ro tried very hard to steer Devoe away from Minnesota I don't think your comment here holds much weight.

For someone with the name......

The Truth........you sure deal a lot in rumor and innuendo.

Sentiment on this board was that Russell was trying to steer Devoe Joseph away from Minnesota during his recruitment, that Tubby Smith didn't engage Russell (and for that matter, other AAU coaches) in the process to Russell's liking. This division between Tubby and Russell was seemingly established before Devoe's feet ever hit the "U"'s campus.

Occasionaly you read things like an AAU coach steering players to or away from programs. I don't buy it. What 18 year lets an older adult impact their decisions, even parents. I would guess that the vast majority make the decision on their own and the influence is mythical.

Considering Ro tried very hard to steer Devoe away from Minnesota I don't think your comment here holds much weight.

I was just throwing that out there as a possible reason. Your statement is also a valid reason in and of itself. My comment was spurred more by GVBadger's post than anything. I know of two recent high profile players that had people "unhappy" with being "cut out" of the players development by their college head coaches.

Recruiting these days, like it or not, is based around not just relationships with the players or their families but an assortment of handlers, coaches, uncles, etc.

Occasionaly you read things like an AAU coach steering players to or away from programs. I don't buy it. What 18 year lets an older adult impact their decisions, even parents. I would guess that the vast majority make the decision on their own and the influence is mythical.

I can tell you with 100% certainty that it is not mythical. It happens and it happens a lot. AAU coaches and/or personal handlers basically built the powerhouse known as Memphis in the Calipari years. There are other examples, too.

Top Bottom