Austin Barber Commits!

Barber looks like he has a real nasty streak to him along with the athleticism. Just the kind of guy we need on the line. Welcome aboard!

PJ has a distinct advantage in the zoom age. And just how many head coaches do you think have out worked him in April and May?

PJ has a distinct advantage in the zoom age. And just how many head coaches do you think have out worked him in April and May?

It just goes to show what's possible when he has the results to go along with the talk and the vision. Exciting times!!

While that’s true, I doubt there are many coaches who would out-work him at any time.

PJ is totally visiting their islands on Animal Crossing

Anyone have any idea if he will be a tackle at the college level? Or will they try and move him inside?

Anyone have any idea if he will be a tackle at the college level? Or will they try and move him inside?
"Gophers have told me they want me at tackle and that's what I play in high school, so I'm excited about that."

Love these HUGE tackles... going to be a good run with Fleck in charge.

I personally am not a fan of the really tall guys being inside. The interior DL get under them too easily, especially those really stout shorter (6', 6'1") type guys.

Having length on the edge makes sense. Not as much inside. Give me stout, 6'3" - 6'5" interior guys.

May very well be something to that but at the same time there is nothing forcing these guys to commit now. Honestly the need for the on campus visit is really kind of overblown. The on campus visit is just a chance for the recruit to be treated like a superstar and have people fawn all over them for a couple of days.

Think about it....all you ever hear from recruits was about how great their visit went. Of course it did, they are a 17-18 year old kid being treated like a rockstar. Now I am not saying the on-campus official visit isn't important but in a day and age where information is so readily available any recruit should have a really strong feel for what they are getting into without setting foot on the campus.
I hope there are some permanent changes to the recruiting process as a result. It does seem a bit ridiculous that 17 year old kids have way more $$$$ lavished on their recruiting visits than many executive job interviews. And having assistant coaches furiously fly all over the country just to make sure they say hello to all their 4* targets (in home family visits are understandable). How much money would be saved by reining all that in?

I hope there are some permanent changes to the recruiting process as a result. It does seem a bit ridiculous that 17 year old kids have way more $$$$ lavished on their recruiting visits than many executive job interviews. And having assistant coaches furiously fly all over the country just to make sure they say hello to all their 4* targets (in home family visits are understandable). How much money would be saved by reining all that in?
Tough for me to see who has been “hurt” here.

per Andrew:

OL Austin Barber, Minnesota commit – It's always interesting to see how prospects look as seniors as sometimes their body has undergone a complete transformation. That's exactly the case with Barber. The 6-foot-7 tackle has leaned a bit and is now hovering right around 295 pounds. That allowed him to go both ways for Trinity Christian on Friday. While Barber did get some push on defense, his future is on offense and that future appears to be bright as he's got a long reach and plays well through the whistle. P.J. Fleck and the Gophers could have a steal in Barber.

Go Gophers!!

I was sad to read this story. We have been seeing the importance of depth on the O-line.

Top Bottom