Austin Barber Commits!

Great news!!! Love the addition from the state of Florida.

Very nice get for the Golden Gophers! Wasn't that long ago I was a little concerned about the OL, but its coming together very nicely and its only the latter part of May!

Wow, nice get. I was watching his hudl video recently and was very impressed.

The Boston Austin Strangler. It fits an O-lineman.
I know, not funny, but I thought I'd give it a shot. I'll stick to my day job.

Just wait til he fills out that frame.
Probably doesn't need to add much more, maybe 10-15 lbs is all. Main thing will be trying to turn bad weight into good weight. His hudl is extremely more impressive than his ranking. It can be hard to get excited while watching O-line highlights but he is absolutely nasty in the trenches, routinely driving his man into the ground!

The Gophers are giving new meaning to the Jumbotron Package: Athletic massive OLs with quick feet.

James and Barber can give opposing defenses a quick hair cut on the fly!

Genuine question: what was his competition like? I see he is from a school called "Academy", but I have no idea if that's like IMG Academy?
His competition is much better than the average competition in MN

His competition is much better than the average competition in MN

Definitely. His high school has had 5 players drafted into the NFL since 2004, so it must be a decent program.

Trinity Christian Academy (Jacksonville, Fla.), 5
Guss Scott, 2004 (95), New England Patriots
Jamie Harper, 2011 (130), Tennessee Titans
Isaiah Ford, 2017 (237), Miami Dolphins
Kendrick Norton, 2018 (242), Carolina Panthers
Andre Smith, 2018 (234), Carolina Panthers

Fleck is doing all this during a pandemic. This is just incredible.

My theory is that the pandemic is a small tailwind for Fleck and the Gophers. Nobody is visiting schools which helps out the Gophers trying to sign players out of state and far away. Nobody had to come to Minnesota in April and watch 38 degree football or look at how our stadium is a little smaller than peer schools. There's just momentum, a hell of a highlight reel from last season, and Fleck is probably more engaging on Zoom than Paul Chryst, to offer a name.

My theory is that the pandemic is a small tailwind for Fleck and the Gophers. Nobody is visiting schools which helps out the Gophers trying to sign players out of state and far away. Nobody had to come to Minnesota in April and watch 38 degree football or look at how our stadium is a little smaller than peer schools. There's just momentum, a hell of a highlight reel from last season, and Fleck is probably more engaging on Zoom than Paul Chryst, to offer a name.

May very well be something to that but at the same time there is nothing forcing these guys to commit now. Honestly the need for the on campus visit is really kind of overblown. The on campus visit is just a chance for the recruit to be treated like a superstar and have people fawn all over them for a couple of days.

Think about it....all you ever hear from recruits was about how great their visit went. Of course it did, they are a 17-18 year old kid being treated like a rockstar. Now I am not saying the on-campus official visit isn't important but in a day and age where information is so readily available any recruit should have a really strong feel for what they are getting into without setting foot on the campus.

Top Bottom