Augustana is much better than Bemidji State

Neutral

Banned
Reaction score
No. 16 ranked Augustana of Sioux Falls is expected to win the NSIC crown this season, led by 6-foot-5 All-American guard Cody Schilling (Ellworth, MN graduate). Schilling averaged over 20 ppg in 27 games last season and 89 percent from the line and 39 percent from deep. Also on the roster are Division I transfers guards Drae Murray (Sam Houston State) and Evan Pierce (Wagner). Murray was one of the top assist guys in the Southland Conference last season while Pierce was one of the top prep players coming out of Pennsylvania a couple seasons ago (redshirted at Wagner as a frosh). 6-foot-7 forwards Leif Nomeland and Derrick De Zeeuw may look soft on the outside, but the pair combined to average more than 15 ppg last year. Across the board, the Vikings have decent size, but no player taller than 6-8. Mbakwe will have another big game and so will Sampson III. For the Vikings, expect Schilling to score 20-plus and take a bunch of shots. Augustana will have little trouble matching up with the Gophers at the guard spots, but simply won't contend on the boards IN MY OPINION.

If Smith goes with the same rotation he did against BSU, Auggie will keep the game close to the very end. If Mbakwe, RSIII and Dre Hollins play a lot more, Minnesota should win by 10-15 points. Either way, this will be a pretty close game based on what I heard happened against the Beavers.

Looking forward to seeing Cody play. If I remember correctly there were reports that he wanted to be a Gopher. Did Tubby want him as a walk-on?

Thank you - I needed that laugh today.[/QUOTE

Explain why this is funny? Augustana has one of the top guards in all of Division II and two Division I transfers. Minnesota has Maverick (terrible), Dre Hollins (good, but young), Austin Hollins (hmmm), Coleman (good, but young) and Welch (injured). There will be few match up issues for Augustana, especially for Schilling -- who is a legit 6-5 and Drae Murray, who would log minutes for Minnesota. The edge should go to the Golden Gophers, but not by much.

If we lose we lose. No biggie. We will start the real season 0-0 later in the week no matter what the outcome. Losing to teams at this level happens and it already has happened this year.

Look at Augustana as a low/mid-level Division I Mid Major.

If Tubby had wanted beat the BEavers at all costs, we could have won by a bigger margin. The purpose of the game, I suspect, was not to destroy them by accentuating our strengths and exploiting their weaknesses. The actual result revealed that we have weaknesses to be addressed as suspected. That is a concern. The margin of winning perhaps is not.

Mbakwe vs. Schilling rematch of High School championship where Schilling's Ellsworth team won.

Anytime we can pound a Dakota team after the football loses the last couple years I want to. I hope we come out and show that we are going to see a fast, excited team the whole year.

Explain why this is funny? Augustana has one of the top guards in all of Division II and two Division I transfers. Minnesota has Maverick (terrible), Dre Hollins (good, but young), Austin Hollins (hmmm), Coleman (good, but young) and Welch (injured). There will be few match up issues for Augustana, especially for Schilling -- who is a legit 6-5 and Drae Murray, who would log minutes for Minnesota. The edge should go to the Golden Gophers, but not by much.

It's funny because it's so insanely absurd. I don't know exactly what your deal is, but need I remind you that Augustana is a Division II basketball team? Your argument is that Schilling is a good matchup because he is 6-5 and that Drae Murray, who transferred to Division II from a sh*tty lower-level Division I team, would "log minutes" for Minnesota? Seriously, do you listen to yourself? Schilling maybe, maybe would grab some garbage time at the end of blowouts for Minnesota, and no other player on the roster would even come close to ever seeing the floor save for perhaps Howard Pulley games, and even that might be a stretch. You make fun of Ahanmisi, but he would, easily, immediately become, at worst, the 2nd-best player on Augustana's roster. Schilling is the only thing even close to a player worthy of Minnesota's roster, and the rest are just what they are - DII players. I grew up in Aberdeen and spent my formative years watching Northern St. Eric Kline is my cousin. Schilling is a taller version of Eric Kline, and perhaps (generously) a poor man's version of Travis Busch. Compare Augustana and their players to their peer teams, like Northern St. and Mary. This is the Big Ten. It ain't the NSIC.

Look at Augustana as a low/mid-level Division I Mid Major.

And the hits keep coming. Are you practicing some material for a stand-up routine? Please stop, I think I'm going to pull an abdominal muscle. So a team that went 18-9 (15-7) in the freakin' NSIC is now on the level of, say, Creighton or Northern Iowa? Augustana needs to worry about being competitive in Division II before some rube wants to put them in the Atlantic 10.

Some people just don't realize how big of jump D2 is to high major D1. The only reason these exhibition games between D2 and D1 teams are close is because the D2 teams probably look forward to the game like it's the national championship. They want to prove to others and themselves that they can play at a higher level so they play extra competitive. They have nothing to lose. D1 teams have no reason to care about the game other than to work off rust and get back into the flow of playing games again. If the Gophers got as jacked up about this game as Augustana is likely to and we played our starters their normal minutes it would be an absolute blow out.

Some people just don't realize how big of jump D2 is to high major D1. The only reason these exhibition games between D2 and D1 teams are close is because the D2 teams probably look forward to the game like it's the national championship. They want to prove to others and themselves that they can play at a higher level so they play extra competitive. They have nothing to lose. D1 teams have no reason to care about the game other than to work off rust and get back into the flow of playing games again. If the Gophers got as jacked up about this game as Augustana is likely to and we played our starters their normal minutes it would be an absolute blow out.

Really good post. Didn't Michigan and Syr lost a couple of games like this during the last few years? Their fans should have returned their season tickets? These games mean nothing but warming up the teams.

Go Gophers

Really good post. Didn't Michigan and Syr lost a couple of games like this during the last few years? Their fans should have returned their season tickets? These games mean nothing but warming up the teams.

Go Gophers[/Quote/]

I think Arizona did too this year.

Go Gophers

Can't remember for sure with Michigan, but I know Syracuse did. Pretty sure they went on to get the #1 seed in the NCAA tournament that same season too.

MSU lost an exhibition a couple years back and went to a FF that year.

It's funny because it's so insanely absurd. I don't know exactly what your deal is, but need I remind you that Augustana is a Division II basketball team? Your argument is that Schilling is a good matchup because he is 6-5 and that Drae Murray, who transferred to Division II from a sh*tty lower-level Division I team, would "log minutes" for Minnesota? Seriously, do you listen to yourself? Schilling maybe, maybe would grab some garbage time at the end of blowouts for Minnesota, and no other player on the roster would even come close to ever seeing the floor save for perhaps Howard Pulley games, and even that might be a stretch. You make fun of Ahanmisi, but he would, easily, immediately become, at worst, the 2nd-best player on Augustana's roster. Schilling is the only thing even close to a player worthy of Minnesota's roster, and the rest are just what they are - DII players. I grew up in Aberdeen and spent my formative years watching Northern St. Eric Kline is my cousin. Schilling is a taller version of Eric Kline, and perhaps (generously) a poor man's version of Travis Busch. Compare Augustana and their players to their peer teams, like Northern St. and Mary. This is the Big Ten. It ain't the NSIC.

And the hits keep coming. Are you practicing some material for a stand-up routine? Please stop, I think I'm going to pull an abdominal muscle. So a team that went 18-9 (15-7) in the freakin' NSIC is now on the level of, say, Creighton or Northern Iowa? Augustana needs to worry about being competitive in Division II before some rube wants to put them in the Atlantic 10.

The comment about Schilling being a poor-man's version of Travis Busch is likely the most absurd comment ever made in Gopherhole's history. Schilling is twice the player Travis Busch ever was. Unreal....

Neutral, you seriously put WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY too much stock into a freakin exhibition game.

Augustana would compete for the middle of the pack in the Summit League, not the A-10.

The comment about Schilling being a poor-man's version of Travis Busch is likely the most absurd comment ever made in Gopherhole's history. Schilling is twice the player Travis Busch ever was. Unreal....

Based on what? How many Division I teams did Schilling play for? How many Mr. Basketball awards did Schilling win? How many career scoring records did Schilling set while playing at large metro schools? Busch scored 25 ppg in a legitimate HS league, not playing Adrian and Red Rock Central.

If Schilling were as good as you say he is, he'd be playing Division I somewhere. Period. And he's far and away their best player. It isn't even close. And, like I said, he'd be, at best, the 10th man on Minnesota's roster. This whole conversation is just silly.

Augustana would compete for the middle of the pack in the Summit League, not the A-10.

A. No, they wouldn't.

B. The Summit League is not a mid-major conference. Thanks for playing, though.

Based on what? How many Division I teams did Schilling play for? How many Mr. Basketball awards did Schilling win? How many career scoring records did Schilling set while playing at large metro schools? Busch scored 25 ppg in a legitimate HS league, not playing Adrian and Red Rock Central.

If Schilling were as good as you say he is, he'd be playing Division I somewhere. Period. And he's far and away their best player. It isn't even close. And, like I said, he'd be, at best, the 10th man on Minnesota's roster. This whole conversation is just silly.

A. No, they wouldn't.

B. The Summit League is not a mid-major conference. Thanks for playing, though.
Dude, Red Rock Central is legit. Lol.

I think you just topped it. Congrats.

All I know is one played Division I basketball, and one hasn't.

How come Travis Busch considered WINONA STATE before deciding on Colorado State? Also, I believe Schilling is one of the state's all-time leading scorers. CODY SCHILLING IS A BETTER BASKETBALL PLAYER THAN TRAVIS BUSCH. Period. Read the posts on this very site from a couple years ago and everyone was calling Busch an "above average Division II player."

How come Travis Busch considered WINONA STATE before deciding on Colorado State? Also, I believe Schilling is one of the state's all-time leading scorers. CODY SCHILLING IS A BETTER BASKETBALL PLAYER THAN TRAVIS BUSCH. Period. Read the posts on this very site from a couple years ago and everyone was calling Busch an "above average Division II player."
Gotta take competition into consideration.

Neutral, there is a 12-step program and a support group for compulsive and incessant arguers like you.

It is called ON-&-ON ANON.

please shut up.

Cody Shilling

If you recall, Tubby walked into the gym during the state championship game that Cody Shilling won his senior year. There were conversations but obviously no offer for a scholarship. Cody was not only a great high school scorer but also one of, if not the top assist leader in the history of MN basketball. Cody was able to get to the rim at will during the state tourney. I for one look forward to seeing his improvement over the last couple of years. The argument shouldn't be about his talent level three or four years ago, but where his improvement has taken him now!

It will be interesting to see if he can get to the rim against the Gophers? Or if Tubby made the right decision?

Cody Schilling put up monster numbers against inferior competition. If I recall correctly, his team won a game by 70 points in his senior year of high school. Yes. 70 points. When my team played them his/our senior year we beat them by 30 and Jordan Hicks dropped 31 points on him. Yes he is a very good player and I respect his game, but his numbers were severely inflated due to his ungodly horrific competition. He wouldn't have put up nearly those numbers at a big school. I would maybe take him over Mav, but that's it. He is in no way better than any of our other guards. I'm sure he'll score a decent amount against the Gophers simply because of the sheer volume of shots he is likely to take, but to say he will have "little trouble" against our guards is a little over the top. And Augustana would be middle of the pack in the Summit League? Not quite.

Surprise, surprise, Neutral started another thread to rip the Gophers. Dude isn't a Gopher fan.

Cody Schilling IS the all time leader in career points (Travis Busch not in the top 15) and assists. Andre Hollins will be a very good player but outside of him our guards need a lot of work. Our backcourt SHOULD be made up of 2 minnesotans playing in South Dakota. Wolters and Schilling with Mbakwe would make this a top 25 team.

Top Bottom